Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-29-2018, 02:40 PM

I have been using a 2004r setup for drag racing for about 5 years with one year with heavy track time for a street car. I run a 2000 stall converter so it is not like the engine can really wind up on it and give it a beating. like could be done with a higher stall.

I love how quick it shifts on the track but it really does shift to firm for daily street use. No reliability problems with it after about 15000 miles.

I would consider going 4l80E so that I could customize shift points, etc. for street use. If I were to do it again and probably get a softer shift on the street if possible.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455'73inElCamino View Post
I have been using a 2004r setup for drag racing for about 5 years with one year with heavy track time for a street car. I run a 2000 stall converter so it is not like the engine can really wind up on it and give it a beating. like could be done with a higher stall.

I love how quick it shifts on the track but it really does shift to firm for daily street use. No reliability problems with it after about 15000 miles.

I would consider going 4l80E so that I could customize shift points, etc. for street use. If I were to do it again and probably get a softer shift on the street if possible.
The real beauty of the programable ECM is you can tailor your shift points and firmness from inside the car, and easily change them if desired. You also have a proven hard parts that aren't going to need every last part replaced with a billet part. The Hydramatic division designed the necessary strength into the design from day one.

Like building a house that has to regularly withstand tropical storms out of balsa wood, it's lighter to begin with because it has low strength. You can keep reinforcing it with oak, but if you start with oak to begin with, it wont need reinforcing. Penny wise and dollar foolish.

Just so I have this straight, a heavily modified 200 with billet parts is still okay at 15,000 miles,...…..

My stock 4L80E has 265,000 on it being abused behind a turned up pump, with 4 inch exhaust, (lightly modified) turbo diesel in a dually truck. Looks like you have about 250,000 miles until it equals the stock 4L80E durability. It doesn't make me want to rush out and buy a 200 for my dually or anything else with any real power anytime soon.

Good to see a 200 owner that realizes that they may not be the best all around choice in a performance/street application.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 08-29-2018, 04:29 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkillphil View Post
they’ve been popular swaps since the late 1980’s! That’s is, unless you’ve been living under a rock.
I guess I have been living under that rock because every high end pro-tour car that crosses the auction block has a 700R4.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Doesn’t make the other option a “fad”. Gotta be careful watching too much Auction block too since it tends to be unrealistic and the TV versions seem to be highly concentrated into Vettes, Mustangs, Chevelles, Camaros and such ordinary shake-n-bake varieties. Those 700-R4 deals are most often Chevy powered too and usually include an off the shelf Edel-broke carb. Seeing a pattern yet?

BOP’s are few and far between and seldom feature a 700. It’s tbe Qjet scenario all over again.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Just so I have this straight, a heavily modified 200 with billet parts is still okay at 15,000 miles,...…..
I only mention the mileage because I was afraid that a 2004r or 7004r would simply self destruct behind a big engine.

In general I am happy with what the 2004r because it was the best choice given the information that I had at the time. The reasons I went 2004r was for the overdrive (.67), first gear ratio (2.74), easy installation and I thought it would last (after a lot of research).

I had a TH400 already but I wanted the .67 overdrive and felt the gearvendor ..78 overdrive was not adequate for my 3.73 gears cruising at 75 mph.. I didn't want the 700r4 3.06 first gear since it is too numerically high with the 3.73 gears.

At the time, IIRC the cost for the 4l80e and the 4l65E and variants were much more expensive. And I did not see it commonly used on a Pontiac.

I am not listing all of the above to justify my decision, I am listing them so that the OP knows why I made the decision because it might help him make a decision on this transmission.

There is no question that the 4l80e is better in probably all ways except for size vs the 2004r if space is a concern.. So knowing what I know now, If my transmission failed, and I were to do it again, I would go to an electronic transmission.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

anybody hear anything about

http://www.leespeedshop.com/services
778 Almoney Rd
Wrightsville, PA 17368

Old 09-13-2018, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by imposter View Post
anybody hear anything about

http://www.leespeedshop.com/services