THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Watched a Hellcat Charger put a nice beating on a 911 Porsche on Woodward yesterday.. The new Supercharged Cats, Camaros, and Corvettes are Bad Ass cars!!

Old 08-20-2018, 12:51 AM

Here - and it is Pontiac related. "Do you know how fast you were going? Um, Apply?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRwrYfxRGg4

Old 08-20-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIX8YAK View Post
No doubt the best part of the car was when you were already at highway speeds and over. From about 80 it just might spin the tires slightly after you drop it to the rug, then it's a rocket. 80 to 120 is so quick that all you can do is giggle a little and try and get back down to misdemeanor speed before Ponch and Baker see you.
Been doing some serious considering of trading off my Challenger R/T for a Hellcat.... You're making me think even harder about it.

Stupid people that think everything needs to be posted on social media..... geeze

Old 08-20-2018, 09:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dodge builds excitement.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 08-20-2018, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOnly70 View Post
Dodge builds excitement.
They really do. They're in the lead for coolest muscle car, that's for sure!

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 08-20-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T/A addict View Post
Been doing some serious considering of trading off my Challenger R/T for a Hellcat.... You're making me think even harder about it.

Stupid people that think everything needs to be posted on social media..... geeze
Funny you mention that trade, because that's exactly what I did!

Had a 2012 R/T Classic and I was trying to talk myself out of it. It didn't work.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had an RT, Two Scat Packs,and finally a Hellcat. I have really liked all of them. As a speed junkie, the Hellcat is quite a rush to drive.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by J GLASGO View Post
Watched a Hellcat Charger put a nice beating on a 911 Porsche on Woodward yesterday.. The new Supercharged Cats, Camaros, and Corvettes are Bad Ass cars!!
Well yeah, 911s aren't drag cars. Get those cars out on a road course and things would be different. Different tools for different jobs!

Old 08-20-2018, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I'd rather have a 911.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
I'd have to go that way, too. I was never a fan of them until a friend of mine bought one and let me drive it. His wasn't even a turbo model, and had an automatic transmission, and I saw video of him running a low 11 quarter mile. They're not drag cars, but they're pretty fast.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post

Same here. Great cars.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Well yeah, 911s aren't drag cars. Get those cars out on a road course and things would be different. Different tools for different jobs!
The Hellcats certainly aren't "road course" cars, but they hold their own out on a track. Most people write them off, but are soon embarrassed once they're out on the track with them.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 08-20-2018, 06:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

For a road race car I agree on the 911- I got to drive a GT3 on a road course in Las Vegas and was blown away. Not my style but amazing cars.

My wife’s SRT Charger is paid off this month and I would love to step up to a Hellcat Charger. Wife is still deciding as it’s a stupid car to drive the kids to school in but I would like to have one at some point.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
For a road race car I agree on the 911- I got to drive a GT3 on a road course in Las Vegas and was blown away. Not my style but amazing cars.

My wife’s SRT Charger is paid off this month and I would love to step up to a Hellcat Charger. Wife is still deciding as it’s a stupid car to drive the kids to school in but I would like to have one at some point.
I don't think it would be any more "crazy" than someone driving their kids to school in a 62-63 421 Super Duty Catalina. I bet a few people did. You only live once!

Old 08-21-2018, 12:47 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Don't want to brag ... but I had my 68, standard YS GTO, with about 90K miles on it at the time ... up to the "B" on the brake light on the speedo in the early 80s .... had to be a solid 130-140 mph. Mostly stock with a 2.93 gear. Yes ...wrapped around past 120 and through the "brake" light to the "B"
That’s way more impressive than 180 in a Hellcat, IMO.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Never rode in a 911. The new ones are definitely good looking, and it was no slouch from a dead!

Old 08-21-2018, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a friend who owned a 1974 SD455 Trans Am. Just before being deployed overseas he took a trip to Daytona Beach and for any of you in this part of the state you may know of a stretch of US 1 between Bunnell and Ormond Beach; straight as an arrow and flat as a pancake with very few side roads coming in, especially back in 1974. Anyway, he said he put the pedal down and held it there for roughly 5 mins and the needle danced around 160. After getting home from the beach he left the car with his dad for the time he would be in Germany. A few weeks later his dad went to take the car for a spin and as you might imagine it wasn't running very well so he took it to the Pontiac dealer who tore the motor down and found all the bearings hammered out and the valve train basically shot. I suppose its a testament to the strength of the motor that he didn't grenade it completely on his high speed run!

69 Bird w/1970 400 block(409 cubes), #64 heads, hyd. roller, Q-jet by Jeff E., original interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, street driven muscle. 3800 lbs. race weight. Best, 11.39 @118, my son's car.

79 T/A w/463, Scat crank, Eagle rods, Icon pistons, Lunati solid roller, 262/270, KRE 325 heads, Northwind intake, QF950 carb, full interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, 3650 lbs. race weight. 10.68 @ 126 so far... no tuning yet.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by will slow gto View Post
That’s way more impressive than 180 in a Hellcat, IMO.
At the time it had a Holley spreadbore, headers, Edelbrock 2P4B (?) intake ... the standard dual plane, a RHS cam (before they became Comp Cams), Rhoads lifters, Mallory Uni-lite ... that was about it. Automatic tranny. Big 3" pipes with turn downs after the mufflers.

I would imagine any decent running 68 GTO with a tall gear should be able to bury a 120 mph speedo.

Most impressive part was probably the drum brakes, maintained in the typical fashion that a 19 year old cares for brakes, would have taken a quarter mile to come to a stop Of course I had like three people in the car with me ... news paper headline waiting to happen.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Funny, when I passed this story on to a co-worker, he was at a shop and they were on the phone with the passenger in that car. He had a slight bit of sense because he didn't run like the bike did. Run and get caught later you vehicle will be gone. The Hellcat he was deriving had been worked on at this shop, slight bit of upgrades present

My Garage
Tarheel Tigers Pontiac Club of Raleigh, NC
Old 08-22-2018, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The SD455 didn't have enough oil capacity for a sustained high speed run.

Many years ago, I ran into a guy with a red 74 SD455 T/A. He was in the military and was stationed in Germany at the time he ordered his SD. He took it out on the Autobahn and was doing a little high speed touring when things came to a halt. It was taken to the dealer for warranty repair, and the dealer initially tried to deny the claim. They finally put a SR block in the car, but told him it was not designed for high speed touring. Apparently at the RPM he was running, he was pumping oil to the top of the motor faster than it could return to the pan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet64 View Post
I have a friend who owned a 1974 SD455 Trans Am. Just before being deployed overseas he took a trip to Daytona Beach and for any of you in this part of the state you may know of a stretch of US 1 between Bunnell and Ormond Beach; straight as an arrow and flat as a pancake with very few side roads coming in, especially back in 1974. Anyway, he said he put the pedal down and held it there for roughly 5 mins and the needle danced around 160. After getting home from the beach he left the car with his dad for the time he would be in Germany. A few weeks later his dad went to take the car for a spin and as you might imagine it wasn't running very well so he took it to the Pontiac dealer who tore the motor down and found all the bearings hammered out and the valve train basically shot. I suppose its a testament to the strength of the motor that he didn't grenade it completely on his high speed run!