THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
There is a good chance the millennial moron Jr. Engineers at Chevy thought they invented the name Tri-Power. They probably had no idea it was used in the past by Pontiac and for that matter, may not know what a Pontiac is.
I had a meeting 2 years ago at the GM engineering center in Pontiac MI. They had a little museum next to the lobby. They had 6-8 engines and transmission in the museum. I asked the young engineer to show me 66 Tri-Power. He did not know what I was talking about. I then asked a 40 something where the foundry use to be located. I was told there was never a foundry or engine assembled in Pontiac. On the other corner of the Museum they had a nice map of this site from the 50's. It explained it all to me.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:36 PM
Suspended

Funny how Government Motors just had to kill off Pontiac because Buick sells so well in China, but rebadged some of the Pontiac models and now stealing one of their phrases. Has GM ever fully repaid their bailout debt yet? Screw Garbage Motors Corporation.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, they've had square wheel wells since 1973 so that's nothing new. Pontiac dying didn't really bother me, they haven't made anything I liked since the 70's anyway, and they weren't making pickup trucks either. Everyone needs a truck so you had/have 3 choices, Chevy, Mopar, and Ford, take your pick. If it doesn't have a diesel I'm not looking at it anyway.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:10 PM
Suspended

Nissan has a Cummins

Old 08-07-2018, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
Man, some of you really took it personal when Pontiac S.T.B.
YES, no apologies. Without Pontiac, GM might as well be building Kia's as far as I am concerned. They were never given a real chance to dig themselves out the hole they dug themselves into. Buick was in the same hole, Obama handed them the golden backhoe.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:42 PM
Suspended

Quote:
YES, no apologies. Without Pontiac, GM might as well be building Kia's as far as I am concerned. They were never given a real chance to dig themselves out the hole they dug themselves into. Buick was in the same hole, Obama handed them the golden backhoe.
GM put Pontiac on the back burner for at least a decade trying to kill them off. GM spent ZERO on R&D on Pontiac for that amout of time. Only a VW Beetle can be built for years without any changes. Even I got sick 'n tired of seeing the same GP for what seemed to be an eternity.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
GM put Pontiac on the back burner for at least a decade trying to kill them off. GM spent ZERO on R&D on Pontiac for that amout of time. Only a VW Beetle can be built for years without any changes. Even I got sick 'n tired of seeing the same GP for what seemed to be an eternity.
No disagreement here. Pontiac had plenty to do with their own eventual death. I am a bitter old man. I hatted to see over a decade of terrible decline as you did. No sense of history, the insult of the 2004 GTO, (styling wise), but they WERE on the rebound when Obama's Car Czar pulled the plug on the division. The Solstice GXP and coupe, the G8, others to follow. What has Buick done with their new lease on life? Absolutely nothing. One awful car after another with horrendous marketing to match. At least Cadillac has the "V" cars, not that 95% of American's could ever afford one. I probably have 15 years left to drive, plenty of good used cars out there for me.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:28 PM
Suspended

Quote:
No disagreement here. Pontiac had plenty to do with their own eventual death. I am a bitter old man. I hatted to see over a decade of terrible decline as you did. No sense of history, the insult of the 2004 GTO, (styling wise), but they WERE on the rebound when Obama's Car Czar pulled the plug on the division. The Solstice GXP and coupe, the G8, others to follow. What has Buick done with their new lease on life? Absolutely nothing. One awful car after another with horrendous marketing to match. At least Cadillac has the "V" cars, not that 95% of American's could ever afford one. I probably have 15 years left to drive, plenty of good used cars out there for me.
When that '04.... uh..... GTOh came out I thought it looked like a Mitsubishi Eclipse. Hell, they couldn't even do the emblem in the original colors and took a year before they realized that a GTO needs hood scoops. GM has built crap for years and my loyalty to Pontiac kept me biting my lip. Once GM killed off Pontiac I was finally able to call a spade a spade. There is a damn good reason why Toyota and even Hyundai/Kia are kicking GM's collective ass.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The reason GTO didn't have a spoiler, hood scoop or dual exhaust is because the smart alec young engineer wanted to make a new car and not a retro car. When they introduced it and some of the old GTO owners drove it and reported back it was a nice car but no GTO they were ticked. Heck we all know how much people hate those retro cars that the big three make, no one buys them right? Challenger, Mustang and Camaro only the three models that anyone seems to care about right now. I hope they fired the POS after insulting the faithful buyers of their mark.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some of you guys are going to drive yourselves to early graves with all this bitterness over a company.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:17 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Some of you guys are going to drive yourselves to early graves with all this bitterness over a company.
and the hobby. My nephew currently doesn't want anything to do with my old Lemans after a bit of Pontiac people interaction.

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 08-07-2018, 04:17 PM
Suspended

Quote:
The only one I hope goes to the grave (like they should have) is GM.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, your right, Stuart. Sorry to have veered off topic. Back to the 2019 CHEVROLET full size Pick-up with a the L4-L2 TRI-POWER engine!

Old 08-07-2018, 04:21 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Yes, your right. Sorry to have veered off topic. Back to the 2019 CHEVROLET full size Pick-up with a the L4-L2 TRI-POWER engine!
And square wheels

Old 08-07-2018, 04:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I don't have any bitterness towards the company, it's the arrogant people that don't care what buyers want and get irritated when their design or idea doesn't sell. The whole idea is to market to the buyer and if they don't buy what you're selling then you need to change the design to what they want or get another job. Either on your own or with some encouragement from the people that sign your check. The problem with the employees is that they have no sense of pride to foster loyalty and no desire to learn the history of the cars they are designing and making. There is no brand loyalty with youth they have never had a reason to be. They buy what they want and the manufacturers know that and market to them. I can't blame the kids that drive rice grinders they are the modern version of the muscle cars of the day.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsize455 View Post
Even being a Pontiac guy, I don't see how this is a slap in the face specifically to Pontiac and its fans, considering there were a lot of tri-power Chevrolets and some Oldsmobiles as well. It's a slap to all of them.
I seem to recall reading something of the sort, so I did a quick google search:

Cadillac, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac did all offer triple carburetion, but they all went with different names:

Cadillac = ??? (1958-1960)
Chevrolet = "Super Turbo Thrust" & "Super Turbo Thrust Special" (1958-1961); "3x2 barrel" (1967-1969)
Oldsmobile = "J-2" (1957-1958) & "Tri-carb" (1965-1966)
Pontiac = "Tri Power" (1957-1966)

Others:

Mopar* = "Six Pack" (1969); "Six Barrel" (1970-1972)
Ford = “three-two” (1961-1963)

* although much of this could be lacking in accuracy, I was pretty certain that one division used one term, and another used a different term - but while googling this, I couldn't find corroborating information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Hmmmmm. Maybe a Tri Power shirt to throw it back in their faces, AGAIN, Whatdya think?

Maybe find a guy that does business with GM so he can wear it to one of their meetings, it's happened before, as a few of us know. ……………..

It could read like this;

TRI POWER, BY PONTIAC, IT AIN"T IN A 4 CYLINDER CHEVY TRUCK !!!!!

Nice big illustration of a Tri Power manifold and carbs with chrome air cleaners on it...………………….interesting...……….

I know it means absolutely nothing to GM, but throwing it back in their faces feels good...……………………..LOL

Little tag down in the corner, "Designed by the Pontiac Resistance, to be worn proudly."
ha-ha!
I love it!

It's really unfortunate, I feel as though GM can make a superior product, and their service seems to be bar none, but it appears to me that unless you're interested in Cadillac, or a Corvette (or spending Corvette-esque money) they just don't care to be in the performance market...
They left the sport compact segment, don't care to fix the ongoing issue with the Camaro (rear visibility, and rear seat room which was the fodder of Mustang owners)...

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 08-07-2018, 04:47 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I don't have any bitterness towards the company, it's the arrogant people that don't care what buyers want and get irritated when their design or idea doesn't sell. The whole idea is to market to the buyer and if they don't buy what you're selling then you need to change the design to what they want or get another job. Either on your own or with some encouragement from the people that sign your check. The problem with the employees is that they have no sense of pride to foster loyalty and no desire to learn the history of the cars they are designing and making. There is no brand loyalty with youth they have never had a reason to be. They buy what they want and the manufacturers know that and market to them. I can't blame the kids that drive rice grinders they are the modern version of the muscle cars of the day.
100% spot on ^ ^ ^

While Dodge is building 800 horse muscle cars and Ford building true work trucks, GM is still building so called "trucks" for grocery shopping and fufu people to go out for steak dinner in.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hall View Post
and the hobby. My nephew currently doesn't want anything to do with my old Lemans after a bit of Pontiac people interaction.
Ain't that the truth.

Doesn't keep me from owning the cars though, I just choose who I interact with.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:47 PM
Senior Chief

"if there's an original thought out there, I could use it right now"
Bob Dylan - Brownsville Girl

Old 08-07-2018, 10:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOnly70 View Post
At least Chevy got rid of the hideous over-sized square wheel wells. But that truck is indeed ugly.

Dodge continues it's run of making the best looking trucks by far.
never understood those ugly wheel wells for square wheels