Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:50 AM
Boost Engineer

Default Always have to smile when

A couple of guys on the PY Forum imply OFTEN that I know nothing about Boosted Engines and Turbochargers.

I was notified by a friend today that they have another U.S. Patent Office Patent Plaque for me to pick up the next time I am over at the Research & Engineering Center in Dearborn, Michigan.

I have the U.S. Patent Office number is #9695822 and a link to the document if anyone is interested in how Patent Wording works with one of these things can read the document.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...&RS=PN/9695822

Just another thing to look at on the wall (along with the other ones) while I am resting in my RECLINER not doing anything.

Here is another link that shows images of the Turbocharger and the parts of the turbocharger being patented.
http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=0...iew+first+page

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:31 PM

I have been struggling on finishing my first patent that I have been working on - the claims are a rather difficult - and your references look like they might help me figure out how to finally get them finished.

Thanks

Old 06-22-2018, 04:48 PM
Boost Engineer

I have about 10 other examples (if you include the Russian and Chinese Patents, ALL Boost related) but look at the document all you want and if you have questions I will try to answer them. Is your patent auto related? Typically on the automotive stuff it averages 3 years from the time you submit it until they do the searches and file it as a valid patent or as not being recognized. (Basically "Prior Art" wins over your idea.)

Thanks for posting and welcome to the PY Board.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:39 AM

My patent is for a recycling bin that by its construction does not require hardware to assemble or complicated proprietary parts (read that as not requiring expensive capital equipment to manufacturer the parts), yet it is "rigid". It is built in such a manner that all forces are distributed throughout the constructions instead of at "fastener points".

The idea is to have industrial durability but the design is not costly to manufacture, and actually can be sold as a "kit" instead of having to ship/transport a fully assembled unit.

The design really helps manufacturers cut costs without sacrificing durability.

After I filed the patent, I sent an example of the design to a potential customer and they claimed the unit was a failure and that it was destroyed in their testing. One of their employees anonymously told me that wasn't true, that they unit passed testing and that they kept it and were using it.

I ended up having to sue them and they returned the unit. I could see where they tried to damage the unit but it was unharmed! It actually turned out to be a great "testimony" to the design/construction.

Anyway, it is not automotive.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:49 AM
Boost Engineer

There are a LOT of low-life scum bags out there who take advantage of the little guys. The company I worked for had a group dedicated solely to Patent Infringement and going after them.

Glad your design and construction held up to abuse by people trying to benefit (THEFT) from your knowledge.

I give my knowledge here freely but my old company is not so generous when it comes to theft of their patented designs. I came up with the Patent idea. They filed the Patent Application under my name and under the Company Name.
You steal from them and they make lots of money.

We had a Asian company who tried that deal. Very well known name.
At the end of the day, that company, wrote my company an extremely large check and sent a team of their people to apologize for the act.

Good luck. It sounds like you have a very novel way to manufacture a needed product.

Tom V.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My dad was the GM patentholder for the hydroform process, laminated steel, adhesive bonding of aluminum space frames and some other stuff.

He used to call me and say "hey - did GM decide on another application of hydroform for truck or Corvette?"

Me: "I don't know; why do you ask?"

Dad: "Well - I got a check today and I don't know what it is for".

Me: "Get off the d@mn phone with me and go cash it!"

(lol)

Congratulations, Tom.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 06-23-2018, 12:49 PM
Boost Engineer

Thanks Keith! At some point we will have to do lunch again near your company like the last time. You still driving that Volt or have you moved on to other stuff?

Tom V.

I should have a Very Very nice Check coming in the bank account at some point too.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:09 PM
Boost Engineer

The Adjustable Core Turbocharger is a "State of the Art" design and has numerous advantages over the conventional Turbocharger. The point is it is not a cheap design Turbocharger. We design Turbochargers to get the maximum capability out of the Turbocharger, not just the highest HP number.

Tom V.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:29 AM
Boost Engineer

The Patent Process is NOT CHEAP (for an individual to pay for) and it takes years for the paperwork and searches to be completed.
But if you have a great idea, then maybe it is worth the cost.

Kind of like SHARK TANK, just because you have an idea and think you might get a patent, For It, does not mean that the "Knock-off Guys" will not try to produce it and steal your idea. You or the company that you work for has to have the resources to go to court to fight for your patent idea if necessary. A Lot of Patent Ideas (AND PATENTS) are sold on the open market vs getting millions in cash. It helps to work for a company that has a very active Patent Application Process in place. Again, you do not see the millions but you do see a NICE FAT CHECK in the bank account.

Tom V.