The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 06-03-2018, 12:08 PM
Senior Chief

Default primer color for starlite black on 70 Lemans Sport

I have a 70 Lemans Sport that the original color was starlight black, in its life time it was repainted red. I want to go back to the original color. What color primer was used under the starlight black color? Thanks Steve

Old 06-04-2018, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a wild guess, but would it be red oxide? I know my 77 t/a, starlight black had R.O. primer, and just assumed they used the same on all of the cars. I think in '79 they switched to black primer.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wanted and insisted on a black primer. I got a white--like primer & the chips really stand out now.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve,
If your concern is having the correct primer color that is exposed beyond the color coat, red oxide is the one.
If you are concerned with a correct exterior (black) color match, the primer color does not matter.
IMO, the final color should not be influenced by the underlying primer color. There should always be enough base color applied to achieve the true color, and it should not be influenced by underlying sealers or primers.
So my simple answer is that primer color should not matter. If your goal is to have a true Starlight Black, shoot your base onto a spray out card like you would if spraying a car. With about 10 minutes between coats, spray each coat until you have full coverage.

Now you know how many coats it takes to get the true color. Two or three additional coats will not alter the color, but two fewer coats will!

Old 06-06-2018, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

True...primer color doesn’t matter with black.......Not true with some of today’s red metallics and other colors...but we’re not talking about those.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Hello

my starlight black Judge had red oxide behind the door panels and under the rear deck visable

Old 06-07-2018, 07:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I could not get red oxide primer when I did my car (77 ta). I wasn't worried about the base for the body but wanted the paint on the bottom to look correct. I ended up using regular primer on the bottom then had paint mixed to the colour of the red oxide from an original coloured piece out of the car, sprayed that as a finish then clear coated with a flat finish.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

2018-06-14_08-16-10 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2018-06-14_08-16-26 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
Heres a couple of shots of the primer colour (actually its paint over primer) on my 77.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

H.I.S. gives a very valid reason for choosing black primer if factory correctness is not important to you...