Tri-Power Tech 57-66 Tri-Power Talk

Old 05-01-2018, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1965 Rochester 2G training manual

I thought some might find this as interesting as I did;

https://carbkitsource.com/carbs/tech...rburetion.html

Old 05-01-2018, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In my real redneck voice: That's some cool stuff right there! Seriously very interesting read and I'll get to it all when I get the chance. I'm no carb man, and man have I screwed up a few quadrajets and AFB's trying to rebuild them. However, I've had great results with those Rochester 2GC's. Back in the day, before you had to have them recolored and every screw and bracket correctly replated, I rebuilt dozens of them for tri-power applications. Biggest problems are getting trash under the needle seats and old brass floats taking on fuel and losing their adjustment. Still I found them very simple and the instructions with the kits easy to follow. I always had good results.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 05-02-2018, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes Jerry, compared to a Q-jet they are dead simple. What I like about this manual is that it's like the perfect intro to carburetor theory in general.
I've always liked rebuilding carbs and they always worked afterwards but I never truly understood what was happening inside one or what I was doing until I read Cliff's book. I just tore 'em apart, cleaned them and put them back together.
Now that I have read Cliff's book and most of Doug Roe's book, this little 2G manual seems the perfect starting place for understanding the more complex carbs.
If I wanted to learn Q-jets from scratch, I'd start with this one and a 2G, and then on go to Cliff's book.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If one looks, one will find that all of the carburetor companies issued books or booklets on their product. I have these from Autolite, Carter, Holley, Rochester, Stromberg, and Zenith.

Additionally, at least Carter and Holley ran "carburetor schools" where mechanics could be trained on specific carburetors.

Carter and Holley probably had the most stuff available, but Rochester had some really excellent manuals on specific types of carburetors.

Additionally, at least Carter, Holley, Rochester, and Stromberg offered slides/record presentations on service. When Carter was bought out, I was entrusted with custody of the complete Carter training material inventory. Very interesting stuff.

Here is a link showing some of the Rochester manuals that were published: http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Car...-Rochester.htm

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:42 PM
Boost Engineer

The Rochester 4GC carbs are very similar to the 2GC carbs as far as function of the parts. Once you dial in your 2GC carb then the 4 BBL stuff is a no brainer. Q-Jets are a who different carb design.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jon, I have learned a bunch reading some of your musings on your site as well. Especially the tripower troubleshooting stuff you've written.
Tom, you are right, the Q-jet is a different beast but as far as basic carb theory, the simplicity of the 2G manual really helps make the complex carbs just a bit less mysterious.
It's all a matter of breaking it down into individual 'circuits'... Idle, off-idle transition, power and choke.
Now, modification is a different story...I'll leave that to the experts but at least nowadays, when I read the recommendations, I can understand the 'why'.