Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 03-15-2018, 01:20 AM

Default 69 Firebird convert. rims

I'm thinking about going to something different. Kinda like the looks of the 2002 chrome rims. What newer Pontiac rims has anyone ran on a 69?
What fits? I have rally 2's with 275's rear and 255 fronts now .

Old 03-15-2018, 06:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The 4th gen rims (1994 - 2002) will bolt on just fine. Problem is the backspacing is all wrong for your 1st gen bird.

You'd need to run about a 2" spacer to make them work. Less expensive (and better, IMHO) to find some rims with the proper BS for your car.

We just put these on our 1972 Camaro - Billet Specialties Win Lite's last year:

They are available in both 15 and 17" diameters and you can get them with custom backspacing to fit your application.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Yup as mentioned, the amount of spacer required to run the 4th gen Firebird wheels is pretty scary. People do it though with hubcentric spacers and hardy wheel studs. You'd need to measure your car to see what you'd need as far as a spacer goes, but I believe you'd be well over 1" both front and rear.

I looked at doing something similar, but by the time I purchased wheels, studs and quality spacers, it was very near the price that I paid for my American Racing torque thrust wheels in the correct backspacing.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:51 AM

well bugger...i kinda like stockish rims how about snowflakes?...or do those look odd?

Old 03-15-2018, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Snowflakes will work as they are a 2nd gen rim - and the BS is ok.

If you like them - who cares what anyone else thinks?

Old 03-15-2018, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Depending on what brake setup you have in the front the Year One snowflakes might be a bit aggressive on the offset. If you're not trying to maximize the amount of tire you put on the car, you're typically okay though unless you've got a brake kit on the car that drastically increases hub to hub distance.

This is why although nobody wants to hear it, you've really got to measure your car to see what will fit. On a first gen bird with basically stock brake systems, the Year One Rallye II's fit really well and you can do the 9" wheels front and back with 255 rubber so that you can rotate if desired.