THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Got my DNA test results...

No surprises except ZERO Native American DNA and 1.4 % Nigerian/1.3% North African. Seems family stories really can’t be trusted.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-15-2018, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Male or Female?

Old 02-15-2018, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

46.2% Male.......sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:34 PM

i know of identical twins sending in theirs . one came back Italian the other English.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:14 PM

Unless its a popular American Indian they don't have the DNA of all Indian tribes.
I know for a fact Great Grandma was a "Blackfoot Indian", who else would have taught Dad and two of his sisters to count to 10 in Blackfoot!

Old 02-15-2018, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can understand WHY my maternal great grandmother hid the fact she was of black descent(Jim Crow laws), but some of us in the family are having a good laugh at our newly discovered ethnic revelation.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-16-2018, 07:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I did the DNA thing back in Aug/Sep to locate my birth mother, which was successful. The ethnicities were interesting, tho.

94% plain vanilla, which wasn't a surprise. It was 78% English/Scottish, and the rest was split between Irish and German/French. It surprised me when I saw my birth mother's family tree that so many English people found other English people to procreate with. I would've thought there would've been a few more walks on the "spicy" side.

I had small tidbits of the remaining 6%, including Middle Eastern, Iberian Peninsula, Southern European, European Jew, and Scandinavian.

A co-worker had always proclaimed his big native American heritage, like it was some sort of "get out of jail free" card, or that it somehow made him immune to getting fired. He did 23andme, and found out that he was less than 3% Native American. We had a chuckle.

I'm going to cancel my membership with Ancestry. Every time they find me a match, it's someone who is almost always linked to my birth mother. I really never find matches that might be related to my birth father. I suspect his side of the family doesn't like DNA tests, or maybe all of their tests are sealed in the evidence locker somewhere...

Old 02-16-2018, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
No surprises except ZERO Native American DNA and 1.4 % Nigerian/1.3% North African. Seems family stories really can’t be trusted.
Can these tests be trusted?

Old 02-16-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post

I had small tidbits of the remaining 6%, including Middle Eastern, Iberian Peninsula, Southern European, European Jew, and Scandinavian.
Iberian Peninsula was a great big human mix stop, I think a large export shipping port.
i do not know what its called today but must be very limited now in activity.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullbucket View Post
Iberian Peninsula was a great big human mix stop, I think a large export shipping port.
i do not know what its called today but must be very limited now in activity.
It could be simplified by just calling it Spain/Portugal. Southwest Europe.

These DNA tests will probably out a lot of family secrets and untruths.

My birth mother told me a story about her genetic matches she discovered later on. Her dad (my maternal grandfather, since passed on) apparently loved to run around and lay pipe where he pleased. She found out that one of her classmates in high school was actually her half brother from one of her dad's affairs. She said that she thankfully never dated the guy, but had a big crush on him. I have a cousin who is still trying to get the truth out of his parents when he found out his DNA belonged on somebody else's tree.

Last edited by Squidward; 02-16-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I did mine thru National Geographic. It was about $265 6 or 7 years ago. What seems different on this one than many of the others I have seen is that it does not take into account political borders. As a result, i was 20something % southwest asia (indian sub continent) 20something % Southeast Asia- China etc, 20something% Northeast Asia, China, 10% plus or minus Mediterranean/North Africa and 10% plus or minus Northern Europe. No real surprises to me.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm still waiting for Pocahontas Warren's DNA results. I suspect she had it done, and the results do not back up with what she has stated, otherwise she would have had a news conference on CNN .

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
These DNA tests will probably out a lot of family secrets and untruths.
Mine did..... 27% Jewish. was never told to us. Found out since relatives in the camps. It did impact me some.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For those that have or think they have Native American Indian history this will be of interest.....

"Deep within a flooded cave in the remote Mexican jungle, archaeologists came across a stunning find: An almost completely intact skeleton of a teenage girl."

"After the bones were extracted from the cave and brought to a lab in Mexico City, the researchers were astonished to learn that the items were over 13,000 years old — and could be one of the oldest examples of human remains ever found in North America."

"Researchers think the find, which has been linked through DNA analysis to similar finds in Alaska and present-day Native American groups, is proof that all Native Americans descended from a single population of intrepid hunter-gatherers who crossed a land bridge from Siberia 15,000 years ago."

http://www.businessinsider.com/nova-...history-2018-2

If the testing could do so then can we assume your DNA results would indicate these movements of populations from Asia ?

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE

Last edited by Steve C.; 02-16-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't done a DNA test. I'm afraid I'd be classified and insane worrying about where I came from. Tho I do know where I'm going. LOL

One interesting note from the internet. All blue eyed people come from one common ancestor.....

https://www.livescience.com/9578-com...blue-eyes.html

Yeah, I do have blue eyes. Now I'm real scared. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchjoe View Post
Can these tests be trusted?
Not really. If you do three tests at the same time, they might come back the same or might be different across all three

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 02-16-2018, 01:06 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
I haven't done a DNA test. I'm afraid I'd be classified and insane worrying about where I came from. Tho I do know where I'm going. LOL

One interesting note from the internet. All blue eyed people come from one common ancestor.....

A very interesting article via the link. Thanks for sharing. Another blue-eyed guy...

Old 02-16-2018, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post

This ought to really blow your mind then Gary...
https://www.thedailybeast.com/dna-te...k-skin?via=ios

Old 02-16-2018, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My ethnicity is 100% USA American, more specifically, Borough of Queens, NYC.

DNA testing can be a fun thing but you have to understand what it is if you want to derive any conclusions from it.

Determining one's ethnicity from a DNA test may be the least useful and perhaps a not so valid conclusion that you could make from a DNA test.

If you have the time and are really interested in DNA testing, you might want to watch the video at the bottom of this link. It is pointed out in the video that as more people are tested, you may find that your reported "ethnicity" will be revised.

https://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/20...-from-your-dna

My paternal grandfather had followed 2 older brothers to NYC as a teen in 1921. The oldest brother never had kids. My dad was an only child, so I had no cousins on his side.

A few years ago, I met a younger guy with my surname thru biz. Given the rarity of my surname, I was sure we were related. After some sleuthing, we determined that my dad was 1st cousins with his grandfather. His great-grandfather was the middle brother, my grandfather was the youngest of the 3, they each came to the US several years apart. My dad and his grandfather were several years apart in age, not particularly close as cousins. His grandfather had moved his young family (3 kids) from NYC to Cal in the late '50s. My mother knew that story, the grandfather was reportedly running from gambling debts. I had never heard that story until I talked to my mom (my dad was deceased) to learn what she might know of a Cal clan. His dad and 2 aunts were the 3 young kids that moved to Cal. After having lived all of my life wondering if I had any relatives on my dad's side, I stumbled on one. What were the chances?

As DNA testing becomes more widespread, it will make connections like the one I discovered by pure random luck a lot more common.

Of course, unless you get a thrill by learning you are distantly related to a famous person, discovering distant relatives isn't all that interesting, IMO. And as the video makes note, DNA match reliability falls off rapidly after just a couple generations.

In our modern society with rampant divorce and guys having kids with multiple wives (or random women), some who have had kids with other men too, the branches on the family tree can get pretty tangled.

Illegitimacy is one thing DNA testing will "out". The advice is, if you don't want to learn of skeletons in the closet, don't test!

Old 02-16-2018, 02:17 PM

I figured out one thing, I have "0%" African blood, and what that tells me is my family was too poor to ever own slaves!