Old 01-27-2018, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 64 PHS Papers ????????????

Just got the papers on a friends 64 post coupe, Fremont car and wondering about a couple of things. Car is 4 barrel, auto on the column, AC. What is/are B94 deck emblems and F35 HD frame? Did AC cars come with that or is it something special?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-008S.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	473729  

Old 01-27-2018, 04:33 PM

not sure about the emblems but HD frame is a convertible boxed frame

Old 01-27-2018, 09:28 PM
Boost Engineer

I know of a 64 GTO in North Carolina (roof car) that was built with the Convertible Frame from the factory. Tri-Power Auto Car.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yes its a convertible frame, and it was an option

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 01-28-2018, 10:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hopefully JohnV will see this thread and chime in.

My guess for B94 is the GTO-specific trunk emblem (and perhaps B10 is the GTO-specific dash emblem?)?

Old 01-28-2018, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Grenadier Red 64

My guess on the B10 insert panel would be the engine turned insert around the gauges.

The K24 is the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (Fremont Ca. Built).
The K45 is Heavy Duty Air Cleaner (std. w/382).

The F35 (conv. frame) would require the different cross member F37 ?

I’m looking forward to learning what the complete break down is of post #1.

Chris.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	83D85954-3D63-43F9-B1F0-501C6ACEC9DF.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	473803  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.

Last edited by 60sstuff; 01-28-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The F35 (conv. frame) would require the different cross member F37 ?
It does show the F37 option?

Can the whole document be posted?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-28-2018, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, here's the whole page. If you ordered the GTO option, did you have to order deck emblems also? That, I'm sure, is/should have been, part of the option along with hood, scoops, engine, etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVC-001S.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	473844   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-002S.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	473845  

Old 01-29-2018, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB VIDAN View Post
OK, here's the whole page. If you ordered the GTO option, did you have to order deck emblems also? That, I'm sure, is/should have been, part of the option along with hood, scoops, engine, etc.
The customer would not have to order the deck lid emblems separately, since they are part of the package. The options would still be listed on the build sheet, (potentially) the window sticker and service information to help facilitate and document the build, transparent to the customer.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-29-2018, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

B94 is listed on my build sheet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img006.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	473936  

Old 01-29-2018, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Another Grenadier Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor View Post
And another one that just got posted elsewhere with the B94 and B10, as is O.M.T. sheet above.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D0E40CAD-D700-4420-8595-92BA5CB86230.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	473975  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.

Last edited by 60sstuff; 01-29-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A little off Original topic, but interesting how this worked.

The above 64 build information “post 11” does not show the K24 (614) air cleaners on this “Fremont Built” car because it was charged to a Nevada dealership.

If it was originally charged to a California dealer as in O.M.T. Build it would have had the special air cleaners with hoses and tube (K24).

Chris.

Last edited by 60sstuff; 01-29-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris, you are correct but I'll add, this was ONLY true for builds after December, '63.

The Calif. Closed Circuit PCV system was only required starting with cars built after December '63.

My Fremont built '64 GTO was built in November, originally retailed By Herman Theroff in Fresno, Calif. and did NOT get the K24 Crankcase Vent.

B10 is the Insert for the Dash, B94 the GTO emblems. They will be coded on all Fremont GTO manifests.

The F35 and F37 are interesting. All Fremont converts will show the F35 for the boxed HD frame and since it is standard on a convert, will be preceded by an asterisk to indicate it is not extra cost.

But this is the first time I've seen a coupe with this extra cost option. That is no surprise but the additional F37 code for the HD Frame Crossmember is unusual. You don't see that code on the convert as a standard item.

This is NOT the trans crossmember AFAIK but a reinforcement that was used with the Trailering option normally but could be ordered individually as a special item as was done here.

592 indicates "Special Items". This would have been the alert that the build required something that was not a regular production option. In this case, it would have been the Sales Code 661 HD Frame option and the Sales Code 664 HD Frame Crossmember, neither appeared on the regular Order Form.

The F37 had an SRP of $7.53 except on the Station Wagon where it cost $9.90. The F35 was $23.35 except on the converts (where it was included in the Base Price).

F40 was the HD Springs & Shocks, however there were no HD Springs for the GTO, so all that changed was the Shocks.

For this GTO, because it was equipped with A/C and also equipped with Auto Trans, the Front Springs were Code ST. All GTOs got Code PN Rear Springs. This was not dependent on the F40 option. All GTOs without A/C got Code SR Front Springs regardless of trans.

All the items that show the * were standard equipment for the build.

The A20 Front Seat Belts were the standard seat belts without retractors. Fewer color choices, cheaper buckles, than the A49 Custom Seat Belts w/ Retractors.

The A20 belts were made standard equipment on all Pontiacs after December '63. Raised the Base Price of each car by $11. They were initially Sales Code 411 and cost $10.76. When they were made standard, if your state didn't mandate them by law, you could order the Seat Belt Delete option Sales Code 414 and get a $11 Credit on the Window Sticker.

On the Data Plate of Pontiac Plant cars, Fisher Body continued to code the standard belts as 5Z even though they had become standard equipment. Some references show 5Z as Seat Belt Delete but that is false.

Y96 is the Rally Handling Kit, Sales Code 612.

This was also a Special Equipment option.

The '64 Rally Handling Kit included the Quick Ratio 20:1 Manual Steering, 15/16" front stabilizer bar, HD Springs, and HD Shocks. Since the GTO option already included the 15/16" bar and there was also no change to the Springs, all you got was the QR box and HD Shocks.

I am not certain how the pricing was handled on the Window Sticker. Generally, all GTOs that got the Y96 also list the F40. But since the F40 added nothing that wasn't part of the F40, it has never been clear to me how this was to be priced on the Window Sticker.

If you ordered the Y96, did you have to also take the F40? Or did you get ripped off if you ordered the Y96 and also ordered the F40? If you only ordered the Y96, did you get the same shocks and pay less that if you ordered the Y96 and unwittingly also ordered the F40. I just don't know the answer. In '65, the repackaged these options so that you didn't have the same potential conflict.

Contrary to popular belief, all '64 GTOs got the T60 HD Battery as standard (note the *) with the possible exception of early cars like mine that do not show the T60. I don't know if this was a running change or if they just weren't showing the T60 on the Manifest early year.

This build also got the J65 Metallic Brake Lining option which also triggered the Code 592 as a Special Item. Axle Ratio 2L indicates the Rear Axle with Metallic Brakes, Open Differential, and 3.23 gear ratio.

This build got the Red Line tires. If it had gotten the alternate White Walls like mine did, it would have shown:

P30 WHT W TIRE OVR to mean White Wall Tire Over-ride and the Tire Code would have listed 75014W2R.

No Wheel Cover option so it got the standard hub caps (dog dishes).

But did get Black Wheels as the coordinating wheel color for the Grenadier Red exterior color.

Original Engine Unit No. appears to be 559160. Engine code would have been 79J, looks like maybe a retype over a typo but isn't real clear.

The original Trans no. looks to be 64K290.

EUN and Trans No. are useful for checking for matching nos.

Was scheduled for Friday June 26 but actual Date Produced was Monday June 29.

Most of the asterisked items were options that were standard on the Lemans but optional on other models (like the Tempest). Dual Horns as example. This would be noted on the Window Sticker of a Lemans.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor View Post
Ours too. We have the handling package as well. You'd think the insert panel would have an asterisk too. Or was it also on the Lemans? And if the deck emblems were the GTO badge, shouldn't that have an asterisk as well?

Last edited by Rich-Tripower; 01-30-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-Tripower View Post
Ours too. We have the handling package as well. You'd think the insert panel would have an asterisk too. Or was it also on the Lemans? And if the deck emblems were the GTO badge, shouldn't that have an asterisk as well?
I don't know why the GTO items were not asterisked.

The GTO badging and the dash bezel insert were GTO only items.

Notice that the K45 Air Cleaner/Silencer was the option code for the Heavy Duty Air Cleaner. Early year, this option was only offered for the L30 326 engine, I'm not sure if it was even available for the 4 bbl 326.

In Nov., PMD released the K45 HD Air Cleaner option for the 6 cyl engine.

Early year, the K45 was NOT listed on Fremont GTO manifests. I have not studied it exhaustively, but it appears that the asterisked K45 was added to all Fremont GTO manifests on March 14. No content change of course, just the manifest listing began to show it.

This appears to be similar to the T60 HD Battery for the GTO, also asterisked, although the Battery seems to have been added to GTO manifests earlier than the K45.

If they were standard as part of the GTO and got asterisked, why not asterisk the Deck Emblems and Dash Bezel Insert?

I don't have the answer for that. The Deck Emblems I believe involved Fisher Body. But I'm not sure Fisher Body had anything to do with the Dash Bezel Insert but maybe they did even if they didn't install it. Suffice to say that both of these items were exclusive to the GTO option and it might have been appropriate to asterisk them. I just don't know. I do know they do not appear on the Fremont Window Sticker for a GTO.

Except that the GTO option description as listed on the Fremont Window Sticker included "EXTERIOR IDENT." which would have included the Deck Emblems.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Oh, the mysteries of how and why the GM divisions did or didn't do what they did or didn't do!

One other fun example was the 1970 Chevelle SS454 cars. Most of them got Malibu door panel emblems instead of SS emblems due to a programming error found in the computerized build system (the SS454 package didn't specify SS door panels for most of the year) even while the SS396 cars did get the SS door panels. To further muddy the waters they fixed the problem very late in the model year so some very late build SS454 cars did get SS door panel emblems. Documentation and analysis of numerous SS454 build sheets have determined pretty much what happened and when the correction was made.