Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-06-2018, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Sorry I cant remember what I posted two years ago back when the car was running and driving and I was having trouble with the brakes on it
I can remember that feeling all too well!

Distant past!

Old 01-06-2018, 12:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It was 12 months ago but that's fine thing change I guess.

1979 400 Block, 1970 Heads, Unknown Cam, Comp Cam Lifters, Edelbrock RPM Intake, Hedman Headers, Holley 750 Carb, WFO Drop Base SOLD

1968 GTO convertable project. 400 auto with air. west coast car . Not started in 15 ..update now running (around block spinning tires all the way. Have a lot of cosmetic work to do winter of 17/18

1969 GTO 400 4 Speed this a complete project. Rebuild will start in spring of 2017. SOLD
Old 01-06-2018, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used a Hydratech Booster, works very well. I only had 8 niches of vacuum and had tried a vacuum pump. Yes the vacuum pump worked, but it was noisy and you could feel the vibration when it came on. Also had relay problems which you would not know until trying to stop with no vacuum.
http://www.hydratechbraking.com
I went for the full show option. Looks and performs very nice. It can be done a lot cheaper but I did not want a used one.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
I honestly didn’t remember I asked if that’s why I didn’t search
Do you know how to search your own posts/threads?

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
‘66 Lemans, 455, KRE D-Ports, TH350, 12 bolt 3.90 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears (Traded)
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 01-06-2018, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn’t think to search cause I forgot I asked it.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans64 View Post
I used a Hydratech Booster, works very well. I only had 8 niches of vacuum and had tried a vacuum pump. Yes the vacuum pump worked, but it was noisy and you could feel the vibration when it came on. Also had relay problems which you would not know until trying to stop with no vacuum.
http://www.hydratechbraking.com
I went for the full show option. Looks and performs very nice. It can be done a lot cheaper but I did not want a used one.
I went to their web site and looked around. Looks very nice and a nice web site. I found in their FAQ's my exact question. They DO NOT recommend using a hydroboost, (at least their's), on a 4 wheel drum brake application. They say it will be grabby in the front and pull left and right. So that answers my question concerning my 62. Since I am married to the 8 lugs, I guess a new vacuum booster/master cylinder is my only option for a dual system. That's unfortunate.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:41 PM
Senior Chief

Take notes. Write information down. That way there isn't repeated questions as on other post or threads. It goes a long ways for future references...

Old 01-06-2018, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's all good.

Advanced Search can bring up lots of good info from other threads besides your own. The key is you have to learn to differentiate those that do/have done from the google regurge.

Didn't intend to derail you thread.
Hope you find what your looking for!

Old 01-06-2018, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike, you need to build one of these and have disc brakes with your 8 lugs......

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-07-2018, 01:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I found a tuff stuff dual diaphragm 9 inch booster for 168 bucks minus firewall brackets I am gonna try first but if it’s anything like the booster that came in the kit I bought I will be switching to hydroboost. I bought a CPP kit and the only remaining pieces from the kit a year later are the spindles, steering knuckles, dust shields, and caliper brackets. Sad. I looked at piecing together a kit from rock auto but it’s just too much of a hassle to buy all the individual parts and then hope for the best. I will suck it up and buy a complete kit from somewhere like cpp etc if I go that route.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Mike, you need to build one of these and have disc brakes with your 8 lugs......

I saw that several years ago and thought it was a cool idea. I think Roush was doing the conversion. At the time, the price was out of my range for a car I only drive 1000 or so miles a year. I don't think they are doing them anymore. The drum brakes are actually ok but the single master cylinder is a little frightening. The Pontiac Delco power booster/master cylinder through 1962 is really goofy. The master cylinder piston goes into the booster. So to upgrade, you have to replace both. Just thought hydroboost would be a neat way to get added boost, reduce size, and get a dual system. I was happy to read it won't work well before I took it all apart and found out the bad news for myself. Once I double the HP of the current weak 455, I will have to do something.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Senior Chief

Another option for cars with low vacuum but want or need to keep the vacuum booster is a vacuum pump. In my not a Pontiac car with very little vacuum I installed a vacuum pump from a Ford 350 diesel truck. It is belt driven works so good I had to install a bleed off valve because it was making 22" vacuum. They are trouble free, last forever and quiet. And less than $100. If that interests anyone I can post specific's and a picture.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:12 PM
Boost Engineer

A Friend Bill Klausing (used to run a 63 Catalina Wagon at Norwalk until the car was stolen) did that mod at least 20 years ago. Basically 8 lug hub caps to work with 8 lug rims and disc brakes.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So if I was to piece together a set hypothetically what all do I need? I am gonna try the 9 inch dual first but if that doesn’t work it’s gonna be hydroboost. It doesn’t look like you use a prop valve in any of the pics I’ve seen. Anything else unique? Also I am running an 86 Monte Carlo SS steering box with the lees flares pressed in. Any pitfalls there?

Old 01-09-2018, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there an electric pump that can supply the hydroboost?

Old 01-09-2018, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes. Essentially GM had a system like that they called PowerMaster. It was OE on Grand Nationals and a few other cars in the 1980's. Noisy, poor brake feel and feedback, leak prone and a generally a pain to work on. Like allot of GM systems, great idea, poor execution. The kind of system that probably worked great in engineering and prototype, then the bean counters made them take all the money out until it didn't work anymore.....then put 1% back in.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
Is there an electric pump that can supply the hydroboost?
Worked on a subaru sports car, some years ago, that had electric power steering. Pump was mounted to the firewall and very quiet. It was an on-demand deal that was speed and load sensitive. Easy steering in a parking lot and would tighten up some at highway speeds.

Something like that could probably be adapted to work with hydroboost.

Just sayin'
Clay

Old 01-10-2018, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I forgot about the electric pumps on GNs. And true it was a poor execution.

The electric steering deal I hear folks are adapting to hot rods, think I heard of some Aussies doing that, can't quite recall, but sounds interesting. And feasible.

My 'bird has a hydratech system on it, did that because the car was going to be a boosted build. I changed directions, going NA, but will leave it on there. Haven't driven it yet with hydraboost, so can't really comment on it. But I have driven other cars with hydraboost in the past.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-10-2018, 05:48 PM

Have use hydroboost in two of my cars and will do it again. No regrets! If you have a low vacuum motor and room (length) for the unit along with the master cylinder - that is the way to go in my opinion. Expensive... yes.

Of course... the car would need power steering or at least a power steering pump.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:35 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P. View Post
Another option for cars with low vacuum but want or need to keep the vacuum booster is a vacuum pump. In my not a Pontiac car with very little vacuum I installed a vacuum pump from a Ford 350 diesel truck. It is belt driven works so good I had to install a bleed off valve because it was making 22" vacuum. They are trouble free, last forever and quiet. And less than $100. If that interests anyone I can post specific's and a picture.

I'd be interested in seeing that. How did you figure out the brackets?

More doors = more love!