THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:44 PM

My wife is not into cars at all, but she absolutely loves my 67 GTO. Even if I wanted to sell it she won't let me. It was our wedding get away car, and we even have it in the background of some of our pictures. The car is stick shift, so she can't even drive it. I have even offered to teach her (in a different vehicle, of course), but she declines. I guess she is a keeper.

Dave

Old 12-13-2017, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It doesn't seem like you'll get but a pittance for your 2004, thus selling it will cost you more than you are getting in return? Plus, like you said, the 2004 can actually be driven. It provides more practical value than the '67. I'd keep it. I know $32k is perhaps a lot of money, but I'd be more tempted to get a loan for the 67 and pay it off over time. Its not like a new car that will be junk in 8 years. You can pay it off over a longer term.

Another option would be to just invest your money and in a few years it might grow to a place where you can more comfortably afford a nice GTO. They say AMZN will be a $2000 stock in 5 years.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Musclecars are not the up, up, up investment of past. Auctions seem soft mostly, in my casual noticing. Very real potential of a 30K car staying 30K for a long time. Also potential of a 30K car being a 27K car tomorrow. If market dips slightly, and you depreciate by sometimes driving it, a 30K car can be a 25K car. Also, if mechanical woes of magnitude hit, math gets bad quick. They should be looked at as toys and be able to set aside as life dictates, and not count on them in an equity sense. The high end equity cars are a different animal, but look at the dream garages most reside in, they live a different life then a Dairy Dip cruise in car.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Musclecars are not the up, up, up investment of past. Auctions seem soft mostly, in my casual noticing. Very real potential of a 30K car staying 30K for a long time. Also potential of a 30K car being a 27K car tomorrow. If market dips slightly, and you depreciate by sometimes driving it, a 30K car can be a 25K car. Also, if mechanical woes of magnitude hit, math gets bad quick. They should be looked at as toys and be able to set aside as life dictates, and not count on them in an equity sense. The high end equity cars are a different animal, but look at the dream garages most reside in, they live a different life then a Dairy Dip cruise in car.
Agreed.

I'm seeing a similar trend these days, but also only with my casual observations. In fact, a part of me is happy to see the prices coming down some. It makes the hobby more enjoyable/attainable for the average guy.

I luv my cars and I will always have them, but I understand they are not investments. I have never looked at them that way. I have simply looked at them for the enjoyment and personal fulfillment they provide me.

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 12-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Suspended

Based upon your three posts I would say get the '67 back and this time hang on to it. Borrowing for something like that particular '67 will not be the worst thing you ever do for sure. You regret ever selling it so what are you going to feel like if you pass on it and he sells it to someone else?

Old 12-13-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
The price on these cars is just going to keep rising. If I had the chance, and didn't take it, I would regret it for a long time.
About the loan, someone told me once, concerning old parts, that if you see something you need, buy it. You can always make more money, but they're not making these old parts anymore. Same might be said about this purchase.
Prices sure have gone up, but I don't think it will continue. Sadly those of us who grew up with these cars are beginning to die. This puts more cars back on the market, just when demand will be diminishing (because we are dying). Not to come off as too morbid but... I see cars being offered in The Legend magazine more and more offer as a result of the owner's death.

However I would buy it back as it sounds like it's a good, fair price. Just don't borrow money against your CC!