Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Senior Chief

Default shopping for new mattress

I am looking to replace my 10 plus year old mattress soon. I have been having very bad shoulder pain during the night. I always sleep on my side. I am on the larger size and have trouble breathing when I sleep on my back. Any suggestions from mattresss to other things would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! Fred

Old 12-06-2017, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Fred

Mattresses are a crap shoot based on what works for you...... so I wont be a help there.....

My concern is your not breathing well on your back. Also being a big guy like you..... Have you ever gone for a sleep study? ....... You most likely need a CPAP or BiPAP machine. I have been on CPAP for years..... changed my life. Before you suffer a heart attack or stroke in your sleep.... get one done ASAP.....

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 12-06-2017, 01:07 PM
Senior Chief

Hi Fred,

Will be seeing you sometime next week!

They are pricey, but you may want to check in to a "Sleep Number Bed". I bought my parents a king size one two Christmas' ago & they love it. You can raise the back or raise the leg section, the king has separate firmness controls for each side. My Father had trouble sleeping because of leg pain & this helped quite a bit.

The King with a few extras I described checks in around $6k.

God Bless
Bill

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421+
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
2007 Cad XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Old 12-06-2017, 06:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The sleep study 67GTONUT suggested is a great idea. Go to mattress store, not a large chain store either, tell the sales person how you sleep and what you can afford. We tried a large department store and after spent hours going back and forth trying mattresses only to find out they couldn't get our top 4 choices. Went to a local mattress store and the saleswomen was very knowledgeable and helped us pick a mattress we both liked.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills Auto Works View Post
Hi Fred,

Will be seeing you sometime next week!

They are pricey, but you may want to check in to a "Sleep Number Bed". I bought my parents a king size one two Christmas' ago & they love it. You can raise the back or raise the leg section, the king has separate firmness controls for each side. My Father had trouble sleeping because of leg pain & this helped quite a bit.

The King with a few extras I described checks in around $6k.

God Bless
Bill
This but it ruins you for sleeping anywhere else. I’m on work travel as I type and can’t sleep
worth a darn. Love my sleep number with the adjustable base. #60

Old 12-06-2017, 09:01 PM
Senior Chief

I had a sleep number, great at first, but it just didn't seem to last. And all I'm going to say is if your side and her side are not the same for the 5 mins in heaven, enough said. Now I popped on a Costco bed that I had to order, but did do my homework, called the company and ask what the firmness to another brand and walked in the bed store to try. I love my bed! Goes up down and vibrates.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:03 AM
Senior Chief

my friend also has a number bed and said the same thing about his, Bill, looking forward to seeing you next week! Fred

Old 12-07-2017, 07:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have similar issues, I got routed to an internet mattress company called Nolah. I found them on a mattress review site, they got good reviews.

www.nolahmattress.com

Their mattresses are made specifically with side sleepers in mind. Also they take a portion of the proceeds and donate to an animal conservation cause of your choosing. Which I think it pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 12-07-2017, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GTONUT View Post
Fred

Mattresses are a crap shoot based on what works for you...... so I wont be a help there.....

My concern is your not breathing well on your back. Also being a big guy like you..... Have you ever gone for a sleep study? ....... You most likely need a CPAP or BiPAP machine. I have been on CPAP for years..... changed my life. Before you suffer a heart attack or stroke in your sleep.... get one done ASAP.....
Good info in this post, I also tried different sleeping positions when the snoring started, and finally gave up and had a sleep study done. My wife is an RN, so she has an unfair advantage.....LOL. I was then prescribed a CPAP machine. Changing mattress's won't help you if you have sleep apnea, don't fool yourself, take care of the problem, and live longer and better.

I'd be the first person to tell someone if I could get along without a CPAP machine I'd love to not use one. The truth is that I don't keep my wife awake with my snoring, and feel better using it because my body is getting needed oxygen all night long now, and I feel much better using the machine. Sleep apnea will take years off of your life, or as said increases chances of heart attack and stroke.

Now if your only looking for a new mattress I can't give you much advice.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 12-07-2017, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For what its worth I also suffer from apnea. I opted for the surgery, which I had to fight for a little. They want you to do the CPAP machine. It was effective, though likely not entirely. I went for the study because my girlfriend at the time stopped sleeping in the bed with me. Ive been told that since I snore waaaay less, but still some.

They are right, you should absolutely get the study done.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 12-08-2017, 10:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Our last mattress came from a local manufacturer. Buying from the factory, saved a few bucks. We've had Sealy's, Serta's, a few off brands, this one is so far the best.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:17 AM

Default Sleep study

Listen to this advice, sleep apnea can be fatal, get the study done and the CPAP or BiPAP you need to be able to breathe while asleep. I've had one for about 4 years and cannot get any sleep without it, Good luck!!