Old 11-29-2017, 10:46 AM

Default It Followed Me Home

Struck a deal on this '66 GTO last night. HUGE project, but everything is there. I'm thinking Reef Turquoise.... Wish me luck!

"Fat people make lousy revolutionaries". - Me

'67 Grand Prix 400/400 Cameo Ivory
'69 Firebird 455 BW ST-10
'69 Grand Prix J 455/400 Midnight Green (SOLD)
'66 LeMans Ex-Drag Racer Parts Car (SOLD)
'66 TOO DAMNED RUSTY GTO Project (SOLD!)
'70 Firebird Esprit (SOLD)
Old 11-29-2017, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A little seam sealer and that one will be ready for paint! Have fun and keep us posted.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
A little seam sealer and that one will be ready for paint! Have fun and keep us posted.

LOL, yeah, I know, if I'd got it for free it still might have not been a great deal....

Old 11-29-2017, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It only followed you home because you towed it home. Dogs will follow you home, but this is no dog.
Once you get it back to being road worthy, you'll have a "pet" like no other. Enjoy, and keep photos of your progress coming our way.

To me you have one of the best year GTOs ever made..... the grill and tail lights are that reason. Anyone else with a 66 GTO will agree with that.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:21 AM

I agree about the '66 GTO and that's the reason I was willing to go to battle with the Financial Director of the World to get this car home. It may sound strange but I also wanted a year that Arizona issued a license plate and the '66 is a good looking tag. I've also run Route 66 from Chicago to LA (in a '63 Buick LeSabre sport coupe) so the reasons for a '66 just kept mounting. That and this car was on CL for months and about 6 blocks from the house. I'm a working guy and any decent Pontiac, particularly the GTO, is incredibly expensive so I know that the only way I was ever going to get a GTO was to earn it. I was trying to work a deal on a '66 LeMans but that went nowhere. I'd seen this car months ago and thought, no way, too far gone, too much work. I've been reading and learning and realized that this car, comparatively speaking, isn't in that bad of a condition and its heritage makes it worth the investment. I ordered the PHS documentation package yesterday, guy there was as helpful as could be. Looking for a body guy nearby that can properly pin those new quarters on while I start on the frame and front suspension. Long road ahead, I know, at 59 I think I have it in me. I have two Grand Prix cars, a '67 and a '69. The '67 is unique and I love to drive it. The '69 is a different animal and I think it's going to have to find a new home so I can free up some garage room, funding and focus.
Big thanks to all you guys who've "been there" for the encouragement, I'll do my best to document the progress. Going to go at it slowly. Still have to get the all the parts and pieces sorted and packed up safely to move.
H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
It only followed you home because you towed it home. Dogs will follow you home, but this is no dog.
Once you get it back to being road worthy, you'll have a "pet" like no other. Enjoy, and keep photos of your progress coming our way.

To me you have one of the best year GTOs ever made..... the grill and tail lights are that reason. Anyone else with a 66 GTO will agree with that.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow. What a project. Congratulations.

Get organized, take your time, and enjoy the process...(and keep us posted)

Old 11-30-2017, 12:52 PM

Engine? Any interior pieces?

It's more than i could do, but if you're bringing back a pontiac you're aces in my book!

Old 11-30-2017, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

M1, remember... someday it'll be the bestest friend you ever had. Pamper the hell out of it and it'll never cheat on you, or talk back to you.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 11-30-2017, 10:28 PM
Senior Chief

Congrats on the project! Looks like a great project car! I'll do my best to keep posting progress on mine to help motivate, & looking very forward to being motivated by watching your progress as well. Have fun !

Old 12-01-2017, 12:40 AM

The entire car is there- reportedly- except the bucket seats and windshield. The seller told me he spent 2 weeks polishing and straightening all the trim. There’s a pile of it. Boxes and totes of parts, we’re going to go through it all and pack it up to move next week. It’ll be better than Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmurb View Post
Engine? Any interior pieces?

It's more than i could do, but if you're bringing back a pontiac you're aces in my book!

Old 12-01-2017, 12:51 AM

This forum needs a LIKE button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
M1, remember... someday it'll be the bestest friend you ever had. Pamper the hell out of it and it'll never cheat on you, or talk back to you.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome! Looks like a good foundation to work with. Looking forward to updates along the way. Congrats!

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 12-01-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Lover View Post
The entire car is there- reportedly- except the bucket seats and windshield. The seller told me he spent 2 weeks polishing and straightening all the trim. There’s a pile of it. Boxes and totes of parts, we’re going to go through it all and pack it up to move next week. It’ll be better than Christmas.
It'd be nice to find the original radiator laying around. I see the support bracket there in one of your pics.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:40 PM

While I lack the talent to restore a car in this condition, I greatly admire the ability of those who do. And it makes me happy to see cars like this brought back to running condition. They are part of our history that should be preserved. Best of luck.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice score...you gonna change the color? Everyone seems to change that color but for me, it's one of my all time favorites with a black interior.
I have a '66 waiting for my time also...I too am 59 and often wonder if I've got another restoration in me!

Old 12-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

M1, did this GTO come with the 4 way flasher unit and shoulder belts? It was an option but two good ones. I've heard not may came with them from the factory.
My 1st 66 had both. Not the second one or the one I have now.... I have them installed now, although the 4 way is in but not hooked to any power yet.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 12-05-2017, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree '66 is a great year....maybe the best. I haven't had a '66 since 1991.....and my first car ever was a '66 GTO and it had that flasher option. My vote is to keep the car Cameo Ivory, but do a red interior and a red pinstripe. It would look killer. Good luck with the project, and keep us posted!

Old 12-05-2017, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it's Candlelight Cream isn't it?

Old 12-05-2017, 08:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wow....I know the exact feeling you are having....And as another working-class guy I can sure appreciate how hard it can be to find the right car.

Good Luck and hang in there.

BTW: This is the one that followed me home...So you can see I know how you feel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AtBobsHouse1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	469494   Click image for larger version

Name:	AsPurchasedPassRear.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	469495  

Old 12-07-2017, 10:43 AM

Default '66 GTO Project

Yes, the car was (is) Candlelight Cream in color. I received the PHS packet on the car, it came with a black interior, bucket seats, console, HD 3 speed on the floor, a rear speaker. 389 with a 4 bbl, posi rear. The original engine is long gone, a dead-looking 326 is in it and that may be the original 3 speed transmission in it, I haven't moved it to the house yet. I've just sold my '69 GP-J (kept the built 455, T400, rally wheels and posi rear) and am waiting for the room to open up in my garage before I move this GTO in.
What I have seen on this car is that it appears the windshield was removed and then the car sat outside for some time. The top of the dash and windshield frame show a lot of corrosion. I may have to replace the entire dash section and windshield frame. There's also corrosion in back window frame and the driver's side trunk.

I have found a donor 66 LeMans that I may buy and part out to scavenge the pieces I need for the GTO. As I've stated, twenty years ago this car would have been crushed without a second thought. Being a real GTO means somebody's got to fix it no matter what.
As far as my plans for the car's finish, the Candlelight Cream / black interior is a nice combo, if a bit subtle. There were a lot of great colors for the '66 line of Pontiacs, my favorite may be the Reef Turquoise. For power, I've got a few 400's about and will likely hunt down a 4 speed for the car, as the three speed option has zero appeal to me. If I'm going to invest $$ into the tranny, it won't be the three speed.
That's a long way off. I'm headed to the seller's shop this weekend to sort, pack and label the parts and to put a set of rally II's I have on the car to get it rolling. Don't see many rally I wheels about...
BIG thanks to all for the support and suggestions. As I've said, my approach to BIG projects is to break it down into SMALL projects so progress can be made without getting discouraged or bored. I've always admired the guys at the car shows with their picture albums of the car found in the woods with trees growing through it and the process of bringing it back to life.