THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Under the hood of my 66 GTO is fairly stock. Engine is a 400 but those that see it it looks stock to them I have the 66 valve cover on it and no one so far sees or knows the difference. What is noticeable are the white washer bottle, the plain chrome Mr. G air cleaner, and the Interstate battery No big deal to me. As for car shows I don't open my hood unless asked by someone that also owns a Pontiac and wants to see the engine. Still most don't realize it's a 400.

What they will notice next year is the chrome master cylinder for the non power front disc brakes.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

At many points judged shows a closed hood means you don't want the car judged.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:50 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by U47 View Post
At many points judged shows a closed hood means you don't want the car judged.
Who bothers with "points" shows anymore? Fact is, who bothers with shows anymore.

Pay to enter a place where people pick apart your car and you bake in the hot sun for another trunk filling dust collector that means nothing to anyone but the owner of the car? Been there, done that. Then I realized it's not worth it.

I'd rather enjoy my cars, driving them to cruise nights and gatherings that are free of people that act like they are better than you and other people that are happy to see an old car.

And no, I am not one of those with cars that are "driver quality". I am one of those with boxes of useless trophies and plaques. The only one of any use is the 4 footer I have that I use as a coat rack.

Rant over

Old 12-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Modding has been part of car performance forever. I remember "numbers" stuff starting with the Corvette people. Also remember "numbers" elitism being laughed at by hot rodders in the early 70's. Things have changed. But the attitude that only factory is correct? What hot rod world did you grow up in? Sure poorly done is poorly done. I think this thread sucks, bashing people's cars. I have my pet peeves, but anyone promoting vintage and horsepower is OK in my book.
The car hobby is big enough to support ALL kinds of enthusiast so you can have people like yourself and also people who like to own or look at #'s matching cars. While clubs like Antique Automobile Club of America founded in 1935, and the Classic Car Club of America founded in 1952 have rules and different goals than you do there are clubs like POCI or OCA that has not only points judged correct cars but also room for modified cars. Consider yourself lucky in that regard because POCA doesn't exactly live up to it's mission statement. You don't have to mingle with the points judged people if you don't want to. I'm sure the guy at AACA cringes when he knows of some hot rodder who's just cut up a beautiful model A Ford just as much as you do around the numbers matching crowd. Don't complain-just stay away from each other and let the other guy enjoy the hobby the way he wants. If you don't like cars shows just stay at home and let the other people do their own thing. No need to complain-stay at home.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The car hobby is big enough to support ALL kinds of enthusiast so you can have people like yourself and also people who like to own or look at #'s matching cars. While clubs like Antique Automobile Club of America founded in 1935, and the Classic Car Club of America founded in 1952 have rules and different goals than you do there are clubs like POCI or OCA that has not only points judged correct cars but also room for modified cars. Consider yourself lucky in that regard because POCA doesn't exactly live up to it's mission statement. You don't have to mingle with the points judged people if you don't want to. I'm sure the guy at AACA cringes when he knows of some hot rodder who's just cut up a beautiful model A Ford just as much as you do around the numbers matching crowd. Don't complain-just stay away from each other and let the other guy enjoy the hobby the way he wants. If you don't like cars shows just stay at home and let the other people do their own thing. No need to complain-stay at home.
Well said. I enjoy all aspects of the hobby and have cars in the stable that fit both realms. So we participate in all of it. Cruising, driving, shows etc... Hell we even daily drive them!!! I can appreciate anything car related and to me....that's a "REAL" car enthusiast.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Well said. I enjoy all aspects of the hobby and have cars in the stable that fit both realms. So we participate in all of it. Cruising, driving, shows etc... Hell we even daily drive them!!! I can appreciate anything car related and to me....that's a "REAL" car enthusiast.
Well said back to you! I just like cars, boats plans and trains. I even like a well done house restoration! Something for everybody so go to it.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Well said back to you! I just like cars, boats plans and trains. I even like a well done house restoration! Something for everybody so go to it.
EXACTLY!! Anything antique (not just cars) is okay in my book More people like you would make the car hobby so much more enjoyable.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

... huh, I didn't see this as a nit-pick, or tearing on others cars type thread - I just saw this as a fun thread where we could each voice our personal pet peeves.

We all have them.

To me, at least, it seems as though denying that as an automotive enthusiast, surely you will have bias, and opinions - and a thread like this is a chance to have fun, or pick up things...

I still really like that battery post - a cheap repop sticker on a cheapy battery with pop bottle caps to look "like" correct yellow battery caps... to me, that is down right ingenious!

Even though I mentioned earlier that I don't like chormed out engines, I have one piece, that is subtle enough, that I really like it, and intend to use it;
a chromed valley pan.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 12-01-2017, 04:02 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
... huh, I didn't see this as a nit-pick, or tearing on others cars type thread - I just saw this as a fun thread where we could each voice our personal pet peeves.

We all have them.

To me, at least, it seems as though denying that as an automotive enthusiast, surely you will have bias, and opinions - and a thread like this is a chance to have fun, or pick up things...

I still really like that battery post - a cheap repop sticker on a cheapy battery with pop bottle caps to look "like" correct yellow battery caps... to me, that is down right ingenious!

Even though I mentioned earlier that I don't like chormed out engines, I have one piece, that is subtle enough, that I really like it, and intend to use it;
a chromed valley pan.
But nit picking is what many "look at me" and "I'm better than you" do.

If you come out with a car that is as good (or better) than theirs, then they do the "bend down" and eyeball the sides to see whether your car is as straight as theirs.

It's funny to think how many former drag cars that got beat on every week became number matching, date code correct show cars.

The battery thing I was referring to has to do with guys that will spend all kinds of stupid money on their car, then put the cheapest battery they can find in it.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just me personally. The yellow wires, chrome where chrome shouldn't be, wing nut valve cover hold downs...all that kind of stuff for me is just a thing that at a car show I pass by, no big deal-not for me. The only thing that does piss me off is when people join a pure stock club and try to push their modified or custom ways against the mission statement of the club and the founders of the club. This has happened to so many of the purest clubs. and I can't understand why because modified car clubs or custom car clubs are more plentiful than purest clubs. Why push your ideas on purest .

Old 12-01-2017, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrelic View Post
A little off topic, but how about the use of the term "fitment". As in, "What was your experience with the fitment of the brand X sway bar?"

fitment. nope, it fits or it does not fit. It works well, or it doesn't. Seems to be a thing with the younger crowd and the euro bunch.

Annoys the heck of me.
Right up there with "door cards".

Old 12-01-2017, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=unruhjonny;5814923]

Yuck

Wow. That's got it all goin' on.

You should have seen mine in the 80's. Blue hose wrap and blue anodized hose ends, pink Taylor plug wires, blue anodized wire looms and stamped Chevy-style square cornered deep valve covers. Mmm - mmm ... smokin'.

Matched my pink and blue graphics that were on the car when I bought it!

Old 12-01-2017, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I absolutely get it that everyone has their own tastes, and it's their car, but that's just my opinion...

So says a guy who can't currently drive his amply rusted car...

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 12-01-2017, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by redonred81 View Post
I cant stand when people leave radiator hoses stickers on them,its really a turn off on a clean engine bay.
Also yellow spark plugs wires and one more fake chrome wire loom.
Whats yours?
Oh one more part no. stickers on exhaust.
Well, I finally decided to read thru this thread. It sorta reminds me of the cam threads(arguments).

The OP doesn't mention judged car show entries, or supposedly numbers matching restos.

And this deal about some not liking yellow plug wires, and winged VC bolts reminds me of some of my past cars.

Back in the old days, most guys didn't leave their Musclecars factory stock. Yellow Accel plugs, wires, and a Super Coil became very common, under the hood of LOTS of 'em, including mine.

If you raced, the winged VC bolts were VERY handy. Made removing the valve covers very quick & easy, at the track. I used rubber gaskets, glued to the covers. They would survive lots of off-on cycles.

Most thought that a 14x3 chrome air cleaner was the way to go. Now if I'd had one of the dual snorkel models, with the chrome top, that would have been OK.

Also, most hot rods had painted headers, which showed a little rust. As for engine color, I always liked black. So, my race engines were usually black, with factory chrome VC's and an unpainted alum intake.

Also used metal inline fuel filter, with rubber hose connections, & worm gear clamps. Was not concerned at all about looks. Most of the engines ran good enuff to win races. That's all I cared about.

I have been to a few shows in recent years. I like to look a some of the correct cars. But, I really enjoy seeing those that look more like how they actually looked, on the street, back in the day. MOST were just NOT left factory stock appearing. That's a fact. I don't have to guess. I lived thru it, and saw LOTS of the cars, on the street & track.

My neighbor has a '68 Bird I really like. It is a perfect example of what I'm talkin about. It ain't fancy. But, except for the late AC, it looks more like a street Bird would have looked, in the early '70's. Some wouldn't have waited that long.

PS: I know this is supposed to be underhood stuff. But hey, since most of my race cars didn't have inner fender wells, you could see the tires/wheels, from usder the hood. So, what I really don't like is the modern idea that you should run 17", 18", or even taller wheels, with really low profile tires. Don't really like the narrow 14" tires either. Hey, most guys back in the day, went to wider 15" tires, on the back. I think the 1st set I bought for my '69 Goat were H-70-15. Not absolutely certain. But they were a lot wider than what came on the car.

Nowadays, I'd probably go with some white letter 15" Cooper Cobra, or BFG Radial T/A. Wider on the rear -- smaller on the front. Won't look like the old red lines or white letters. But also won't look like the 18" low profile tires that are so popular today. Different strokes !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	455, 6X Heads, Headers, Man Steer.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	469143   Click image for larger version

Name:	TJ's '68 Bird.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	469144  

Last edited by ponyakr; 12-01-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are plenty of things that I don't personally like. Hate yellow wires, too much chrome, corrugated radiator hoses, stickers that weren't put there by the factory, etc. That said, people can do what they want....it's their car.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:01 PM

I prefer one of two "styles" 1. The factory correct engine, because it is a testimate to what these cars were when they were new. Its like seeing a beautiful older home, I want to see those original details. 2. Is a modified Pontiac engine that is well done. I love seeing both period correct modifications and some of the newer go fast ideas.

What I dislike are over restored engine bays full of glossy paint, none Pontiac engines in cars born with a Pontiac engine (I have no problem with an LS in a modern GTO or a 305 in a later 2nd gen Firebird), or people who clearly never drive the car out of fear that it will get dusty. Give it to me for an afternoon so I can get some dust settled under that hood.

1964 Pontiac Catalina Ventura Sports Coupe

Connecticut Pontiac Association

Old 12-01-2017, 09:08 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64CatalinaVentura View Post
I prefer one of two "styles" 1. The factory correct engine, because it is a testimate to what these cars were when they were new. Its like seeing a beautiful older home, I want to see those original details. 2. Is a modified Pontiac engine that is well done. I love seeing both period correct modifications and some of the newer go fast ideas.

What I dislike are over restored engine bays full of glossy paint, none Pontiac engines in cars born with a Pontiac engine (I have no problem with an LS in a modern GTO or a 305 in a later 2nd gen Firebird), or people who clearly never drive the car out of fear that it will get dusty. Give it to me for an afternoon so I can get some dust settled under that hood.
LOL!

I like this guy!

Old 12-01-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Under the hood of my 66 GTO is fairly stock. Engine is a 400 but those that see it it looks stock to them I have the 66 valve cover on it and no one so far sees or knows the difference. What is noticeable are the white washer bottle, the plain chrome Mr. G air cleaner, and the Interstate battery No big deal to me. As for car shows I don't open my hood unless asked by someone that also owns a Pontiac and wants to see the engine. Still most don't realize it's a 400.

What they will notice next year is the chrome master cylinder for the non power front disc brakes.
Next time I see you I’m going to jump up and down and point to the valve cover.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 12-02-2017, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
Next time I see you I’m going to jump up and down and point to the valve cover.
LMAO I knew you'd say that MaryAnn. Most want to take photos of the airbrushed flames on it and that's about all. Not many care what it looks like under the hood. I've been asked to close the hood so they can take photos of the front end. I just say sure and it's a $5.00 fee per photo. That gets a good laugh.

I'm not out for trophies... aka dust collectors. Just there for a good time at a show or cruise with friends and out looking at all the other cars. I've even told judges at points shows to get away from my car.... " Read the registration sign, it's not here to be judged!" And I do put that on it.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:22 PM

When I go to look at shows or "cruise-ins" and thats a lot, I'll walk by a car with the doors and trunk open but the hood is closed and I'll say " They will open the hood when the show is over to get jump started" Then we all laugh and go look at the all chromed out 67 Camaro or Chevelle that usually wins the shows.
I won't even look at an all stock car, got millions of pictures of those on the net, I figure an all stock engine bay means the owner is playing it safe because not modifying anything he couldn't fix if it broke , so I kind of feel sorry for the owner for his lack of ingenuity, no of mechanical skills or lack of a tool set.