EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 10-03-2017, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Breaking in an engine with EFI

I know I touched on this in another post but I am looking for someone who has used one of the aftermarket kits to tell me if this is feasible. I am gonna run the holley sniper system complete from fuel tank to distributor. I also have to break in my engine. Do I need to borrow a carburetor and HEI from someone to do the break in or can I just set the idle at 2000 rpm for the initial startup and then wipe the tune and start over. This doesn’t sound ideal to me but neither does finding an unknown carb and distributor.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:25 PM
Senior Chief

I started my fresh engine with the FAST EZ 2 efi port injection system. Not sure about the Holley system. After going through the setup of fuel pressure. I just set the idle screw where I thought it should be. Adjusted as needed when it started. With no dash installed, So I had mechanical oil press and coolant temp gauges so I could keep tabs. The hand held showed rpm, fuel pressure and coolant temp too. Really not a bad way of starting. Had leak checked the fuel system, so just watched for oil and water.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If HFT cam, then I would deal with KNOWN variables. I did my break in using basic HEI and a qjet before I went to the FiTech. If I had swapped a new engine into a known good working car/efi setup, then I wouldn't have a problem breaking it in with the efi. But you are having a lot done to your car. If it were me, minimize the task complexity during startup/break-in. You'd hate to deal with electrical issues, fuel issues, trans issues, cooling issues, oil issues, etc. all while trying to tweak settings on a handheld controller.

And I don't think you can set the idle for 2k via a handheld and have it work. The IAC wouldn't be capable of that much air to run at 2k. You'd have to either run the pedal, or turn the idle speed screw (yes, aftermarket TBI systems have them) to get to 2k+.