Old 09-27-2017, 10:46 PM
Senior Chief

Default Question on wheel & tire size combo for 65 LeMans

I am looking to put new tires and wheels on a 65 Lemans.

I have already searched the archives and read most of the threads on various wheel and tires combinations, but I didn't find a definitive answer to the combination I am looking at. So I'll be the next "another wheel & tire size" question.

Here's the criteria I am using to come up with the new combination:

1. I want a bigger (taller) tire than OEM that fills up the wheel well more.
2. Don't necessarily want a much wider tire. Not important to me.
2. Do not want 16 or 17 or 18 inch rims. I hate them.
3. Do not want 60 or 65 series tires. I hate them too.
4. Same size wheel & tire on all for corners. No staggered setup.

Based on that, this is what I would like to put on the car:

15x7 wheels with a 4.0 inch backspacing with 225/70R15 tires.

A new Coker 7.75-14 has a diameter of 27.02 inches. The 225/70R15 has a diameter of 27.4 inches. I would certainly think a .20 inch larger radius using the 225/70 would not be a problem at all.

My spare has a backspacing of 4 inches, as do the new wheels. That means the extra wheel width would all be to the outside. Looking at the 215/75R14 tires on steel wheels that are on the car now, I don't see how that would be a problem either.

So, before I buy the wheels and tires and possibly run into a problem, I thought I would confirm this fitment with you guys and gals.

My two questions are:

1. Is anyone running 225/70R15 or 215/70R15 tires on their Goat, Lemans, or Tempest?

2. Does anyone see a problem with the 225/70R15 tires on 15x7 wheels with 4 inch backspacing?

Thanks for your help.

Terry

Old 09-28-2017, 07:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgoater View Post
Based on that, this is what I would like to put on the car:

15x7 wheels with a 4.0 inch backspacing with 225/70R15 tires.

A new Coker 7.75-14 has a diameter of 27.02 inches. The 225/70R15 has a diameter of 27.4 inches. I would certainly think a .20 inch larger radius using the 225/70 would not]be a problem at all.

My spare has a backspacing of 4 inches, as do the new wheels. That means the extra wheel width would all be to the outside. Looking at the 215/75R14 tires on steel wheels that are on the car now, I don't see how that would be a problem either.
I'm not going to say they will fit, but will cover some of the variables.

If your spare wheel is a 14x6 and has 4" BS - and that is the same as the other 4 wheels - you may have problems trying to run 225/70/15's on 15x7" rims with 4" BS.

Why? Because with a 7" wide rim with 4" of BS - you just pushed the outside edge of the rim out a full half inch. To position the wheel in the same spot as the OE rims - you would need 4.5" BS.

Then you add a wider/taller 225/70/15 tire to replace a 215/75/14 - that moves the tread out another .2". Based on my math calculations - the tire would end up sitting .7" further out plus it's .7" taller (.26.7 vs 27.4").

I don't think you will have any issues on the rear. The problem, if there is one, is on the front.

If you have or are thinking about front disc brakes - add another .25".

Once again, I'm not saying that it won't work. Simply pointing out that you are comparing apples and oranges when you look at your current tires and thinking that an even wider tire on a rim with less effective BS will fit..

Old 10-02-2017, 01:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have the wheel you plan to use narrow down your choices to the one you most want to use and get a used tire mount it on your wheel and try it. Some places will give you an old tire just to get rid of it other wise just buy a used one . Around here you can buy a good used tire for $10. If it works save it for your spare. That way you know for sure if it fits.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:55 AM
Senior Chief

Smile

Champ,

Thanks for the analysis. I knew I would be pushing the front out, but just looking at the current wheel/tire combo, it just looks like there is plenty of room.

The wheel I really want to put on the car is the Wheel Vintiques chrome Rally II, which is only available in a 15x7 with a 4" backspacing. So, given that I have only one wheel choice, I need to make the tire work with that wheel and, of course, the car.

That's why I asked the question before I decided to buy anything.

I know from reading other threads that a lot of guys have been going with 60 series tires. Although I initially ruled out a lower profile tire, I may have to reconsider that if I want to use the W.V. Rally II.

The reason I said no to 60 series tires was I do not like the narrow sidewall look. I am very old school and I like to see some sidewall. Is there a size of 60 or 65 series tire you would recommend that would fit (on the 15x7 with 4 inch backspacing) that would make the tire fill up the wheel well more? Or another way of putting it, as much as I love the 64-67 A-bodies, I have always felt the stock tires were too small. So I would consider a different tire if it accomplishes the goal of balancing the wheel/tire size to the car.

Racer1,

That's a great idea, but I don't have the wheels yet, so unfortunately I can't do that. And I'm either too smart or too dumb to just buy the wheels first and then hope like heck I can get the tire size I want to fit without problems.

I thought maybe I would hear a few more responses but I guess most everyone is still running 14's ??

Old 10-02-2017, 07:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

xgoater

You said you wanted a 27+" tall tire.

If you go to a 60 or 65 series tire - it will be much shorter unless you go real wide. And that just isn't going to work with your chosen 15x7 Rally II's with 4" BS - it will only make it worse. Example - a 235/60/15 is only 26.1" tall - but will have a section width of 9.5" and a tread width of 7.5"

If you want to use those wheels with 4" BS I think you might want to consider a 75 series tire - like a 205/75/15 - will be 27.1" tall with a section width of 8" and tread width of 6" vs the 9" and 6.9" of the 225/70.

Or, if you really want to run 225/70's....

WV will make your wheels any BS that you want for an extra charge.

Find a friend that has some 15x7's with 4.25 or 4.5" BS and mount some 225/70's on the car and see how things line up.