Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-16-2017, 02:38 PM
Senior Chief

Default Picked up some rare LB1 manifolds.

Was talking with Paul and he mentioned that I'd have run a short solenoid on my starter and trim the motor mount tab. This is going on my 64 Catalina 389. Has anyone ever had to do this on their motors?

Also getting his exhaust system and he mentioned that I should pickup a gto/lemans transmission crossmember cause they have the bends where the pipes will be able to come up closer to the floor. Any thoughts on this change??

Old 09-16-2017, 02:42 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

When I had my 63 421 Ho Grand Prix I spent a couple of years searching and then -purchasing the proper HO manifolds. I will tell you that the bottom elbow on the passenger side is more than prone to smacking the road and being busted. (Manged to break mine) If your restoring a car they are nice but the Later 65 up HO's are more streamlined and with the filter adapter give you great ground clearance for your car.. As for a starter if your running the stock bell-housing one then take it to a reputable rebuild shop and have them rebuild it heavy duty and add the short solenoid. Its also wise to wrap it with a wrap that is highly heat proof.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:01 PM
Senior Chief

Ok thanks for the info on the starter. My starter bolts to the bellhousing.

Any info out there about changing the crossmember to one from a Gto/lm to help with the exhaust staying closer to the floor for road clearance?

I have to use the extension for the oil filter also.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

These guys could probably help more than the Street section: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...play.php?f=428

Old 09-18-2017, 12:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Even with our '65 2+2 the sweep-ups on the stock cross-member for the exhaust were very poorly positioned. They were about 4" a side too close to the center of the vehicle, and we had to come up with something when we went with the Dougs Headers. We used a '67 GTO convertible cross-member that I purchased off eBay and it wasn't too bad a fabrication project. I believe that it would have been less work with a standard hardtop or coupe cross-member since the convertible piece was pretty short, and we had to add quite a bit of length to it. I'm going to use a standard A-body hardtop cross-member for the Bonneville project. Except for having to add some metal to the ends, the cross-member fit perfect.