Old 08-31-2017, 04:03 PM

Default Motor oil smells like gas

i just pulled my 71 Le mans out of garage, it has been sitting for awhile, i pulled dip stick to check oil level, smelled it and noticed it smells of gasoline and was little darker than normal. we put a new Edelbrock performer intake and rebuilt 600 cfm carb on in early springtime. we never got a chance to fine tune it due work schedule and kind of put it away until i have time but i don't want to cause any irreversible damage before i drive it. any help as to what may be causing this is is greatly appreciated. thanks

Old 08-31-2017, 04:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to kylek350

A leaking mechanical fuel pump could cause this. How old's the pump? If there is gas in the oil, you'll want to change the oil ASAP to prevent engine damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1951 Chieftain Deluxe Eight 4-Door Sedan - Saturn Gold, Hydra-Matic - Hibernating since 1969
Old 08-31-2017, 08:37 PM
Senior Chief

Is the oil level normal?

Old 08-31-2017, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default .........

change the fuel pump ......... our problem was electric pump in back running thru a mechanical still on the block... duh ... thats a no no ..... I didnt look that close when we bought it.........

only had the car for a week ....... we bought off car lot in Spokane ...sweet 81 z-28 in 1988 ttops 35,000 miles original paint all the stripes and spoilers and options,,,
my girlfriend at the time went to start it one july morning and
it blew the gold aluminum Morroso valve covers clean off the heads ....
under the 2 car wooden 60's carport ....

I still have a valve cover spreader bar for the valve cover bolt to help sealing...
out in the shop on a key chain ....
its bent up 1" on each end ... lived in a small neighbor hood ... at 630 am ....
on a weekday ... we met several neighbors that morning..smoke rollin out frome under the hood and out from the eves of the carport.... 17 year old neighbor kid was so scared he jumped out his bedroom open window .... as the smoke rolled in their open window just 20' away ... thought his house blew up !!!
fire department and cops showed up 10 minutes later ..

oh yah ... oil pan was bowed even blew the front cover seal out of the timing cover onto the balancer...

that was coool ..................... couldnt tell yah the oil level it was fine earlier in the week after we got home to Kirkland Wa ....

those were the days ....back then .........
change your pump ... its cheap insurance ...

Scott

Old 08-31-2017, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unless the carb floats are set too high and fuel was running down the intake, I would change the oil and a new fuel pump. That gas laden oil is gonna cause wear at a fast pace.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:23 PM

Thanks all. I'll give it a shot next day off. Replacing fuel pump is cheap insurance, as far as I know it's still the original.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What kind of carb? If a q-jet, make sure the wells aren't leaking too.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be