THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

View Poll Results: What would you like to hear at shows/events?
Continue to play only doo-wop music and car songs 11 9.09%
Play a mix of 60's - 90's that better align with today's cars and demographics 51 42.15%
Play a mix across decades up through current 25 20.66%
Don't play any music at all 34 28.10%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2017, 01:28 PM

I don't mind the music at shows, but God All Mighty I've been to some that it's just horrible, whether from Dj or live bands, and worse of all, it's the loudness, can't talk to anyone about cars with it being so loud, it makes it hard to attend some shows.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tired of hearing the Beach Boys and Paul Revere and the Raiders at every cruise night. I get it the local oldies station put them on and all. But, the music sucks and the sound system sounds like an amplified AM radio. And, its cranked up so loud you cant have a conversation.

Sandy, UT
---------------------------------------------------
Old 08-23-2017, 11:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm interested and collect old cars, even 70's cars are old these days. The way the shows are set up these days with the music they mostly play I think I would rather opt out for music. The opinions on 50's music here is very interesting. It seems that era has been singled out most, but the truth about 40's, 50's 60's 70's music today is there is only a select few songs of those era's that are played and that list has nothing to do with how popular a song was in those days.
Just take one example of 1966. Sure there were the beach boys, stones, beetles, etc., but another pop song that was #1 billboard and won 2 Grammy's that we all heard and danced to in H/S was Frank Sinatra's " Strangers in the night". You won't hear that kind of music at a car show usually, unless you go to concourse car shows.
If you are interested in say a 40 Pontiac Torpedo ( one of my favorite because the 40 Torpedo model is built on the "C" body which is the Cadillac body) and you love that era of Pontiac, wouldn't you also be interested in music or other things of that era? Car collecting is all about saving part of the past.
When my dad picked up our brand new S/O 59 Tri Power Catalina we were just going out the driveway of the dealership when my mom turned on the radio and the first tune we heard was " I only have eyes for you by the Flamingos". Every time I hear that song I think of that moment.
If you are going to have music why not have music of the era of cars that are at the show. And not play it so loud you can't converse.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64CatalinaVentura;
nothing worse than blasting music at a show...it kills the conversations and your ears. I always prefer live music, it adds energy in contrast to a DJ.
Of all the car shows I've been too, only a very small percentage has had the music at an annoying volume. I guess I've been lucky.

Speaking of live music, I was at this (annual event) show in 2012 and rather liked this surf rock instrumental band. It was a nice change of pace from doo-wop, and there was plenty of space at the venue to 'stay out of ear shot' if you didn't like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQgbirOjFJQ

Old 08-24-2017, 12:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
Of all the car shows I've been too, only a very small percentage has had the music at an annoying volume. I guess I've been lucky.

Speaking of live music, I was at this (annual event) show in 2012 and rather liked this surf rock instrumental band. It was a nice change of pace from doo-wop, and there was plenty of space at the venue to 'stay out of ear shot' if you didn't like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQgbirOjFJQ
Just a FYI that type of music is not really surf music. Surfers of the 30's 40's50's and early 60' were not into that type of music. When we went to Luau's in the 50's and 60's the surf music we listened to was generally in two types of music either Hawaiian music or what we consider jazz. In fact in some of the early surf movies like Bruce Brown's "Surfing Hollow Days" the music was nearly all of Henry Mancini's " Peter Gunn" TV series scores. The musicians Mancini used were from the big band era and because the big band music had lost it's popularity these guy's became what we call today session musicians .I have a friend who is a professional percussionist. You get one take on a gig and if you are not perfect you're not working anymore. These guys are the best of the best.

Here is a popular surf tune of 1959 by Andre Previn and the David Rose Orchestra called Like Young.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZKzTMr1M5E

Or Les Baxter of 1950 called Tropicando
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCrFM13qAb4

Or Mancini's Fallout which was in the surf movie Surfing Hollow days, The song was played when the first surfer ( Phil Edwards) ever rode the Banzi Pipeline!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALnG2E6sMww

Last edited by U47; 08-24-2017 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by U47 View Post
I'm interested and collect old cars, even 70's cars are old these days. The way the shows are set up these days with the music they mostly play I think I would rather opt out for music. The opinions on 50's music here is very interesting. It seems that era has been singled out most, but the truth about 40's, 50's 60's 70's music today is there is only a select few songs of those era's that are played and that list has nothing to do with how popular a song was in those days.
Just take one example of 1966. Sure there were the beach boys, stones, beetles, etc., but another pop song that was #1 billboard and won 2 Grammy's that we all heard and danced to in H/S was Frank Sinatra's " Strangers in the night". You won't hear that kind of music at a car show usually, unless you go to concourse car shows.
If you are interested in say a 40 Pontiac Torpedo ( one of my favorite because the 40 Torpedo model is built on the "C" body which is the Cadillac body) and you love that era of Pontiac, wouldn't you also be interested in music or other things of that era? Car collecting is all about saving part of the past.
When my dad picked up our brand new S/O 59 Tri Power Catalina we were just going out the driveway of the dealership when my mom turned on the radio and the first tune we heard was " I only have eyes for you by the Flamingos". Every time I hear that song I think of that moment.
If you are going to have music why not have music of the era of cars that are at the show. And not play it so loud you can't converse.
I think the problem with this theory is even though the hobby is based around old cars it's constantly evolving. What's hot now won't be what's the fad in 5 years. We've seen pro street phases, resto mod phases, and now currently rat muscle cars are kinda in. You don't see the same things in shows and the industry rags over time

Buddy holly on the other hand? He sounds exactly the same as he ever did. I agree I often have interest in an era. I'm the type of guy that knows a little about a lot. But that doesn't change the fact that the music at shows tends to be the same old thing all the time.

For what it's worth I wouldn't mind hearing big band music in the brass car corral.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 08-24-2017, 01:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
I think the problem with this theory is even though the hobby is based around old cars it's constantly evolving. What's hot now won't be what's the fad in 5 years. We've seen pro street phases, resto mod phases, and now currently rat muscle cars are kinda in. You don't see the same things in shows and the industry rags over time

Buddy holly on the other hand? He sounds exactly the same as he ever did. I agree I often have interest in an era. I'm the type of guy that knows a little about a lot. But that doesn't change the fact that the music at shows tends to be the same old thing all the time.

For what it's worth I wouldn't mind hearing big band music in the brass car corral.
Big band music as we know it is late 30's to late 40's a little early 50's. Brass era cars are cars of the teen's.

Go to a AACA show and see some cars, better yet go on a AACA tour. Like the early times chapter of POCI, these people are so into their cars era that they not only play music of the era, but they dress in period clothes.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
What would be a good CD to get that would have all the GTO and 409 etc. songs on it?
Is there a CD that's devoted to the old muscle car songs from back in the day?

Thanks, Chris.
Actually I believe Dennis Kirban did that in the 80s or early 90s. He sold a cassette tape with:

GO GO GTO
Judge Commercial
GEE TO Tiger
Judge Commercial
My Mighty GTO
Judge record
Go Go GTO
Judge Commercial
GTO
Judge Commercial
Big sounds of the Gee TO Tiger
Judge Commercial
GeeTO Prowl
Judge Commercial
Go Go GTO
Judge Record
GTO

Don't ask me why there was so many commercials maybe they were different or filling tape space. I haven't listened to it in years so I couldn't tell you.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Big band music as we know it is late 30's to late 40's a little early 50's. Brass era cars are cars of the teen's.

Go to a AACA show and see some cars, better yet go on a AACA tour. Like the early times chapter of POCI, these people are so into their cars era that they not only play music of the era, but they dress in period clothes.
Im probably just using the wrong term for what I was envisioning in my head.

I have seen a few shows like that. Cowboy Action Shooting competitions often roleplay like that too. I dont have a problem with that per say. It just doesnt follow up the ladder. You dont get to the spot where all the 3rd gens are parked and hear Master of Puppets on loop.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 08-24-2017, 12:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Famous poster that was hung at many Luau's. None of that Beach Boy's crap.
http://bp1.blogger.com/_FVOT3Sm_C9E/...fLesBaxter.JPG

Old 08-24-2017, 01:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Any of you guys like Lalo Schifrin's work? Play this at a Mustang meet.
Meet Lalo Schifrin's work!!

Type in Lalo Schifrin Shifting gears you tube

Old 08-24-2017, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Any of you guys like Lalo Schifrin's work? Play this at a Mustang meet.
Meet Lalo Schifrin's work!!

Type in Lalo Schifrin Shifting gears you tube

More of an Ennio Morricone guy myself..lol

Old 08-30-2017, 09:19 AM
Senior Chief

There is more than likely no one that has a better insight on this subject than myself. I am a musician, avid record collector, and most importantly, the official DJ for Goodguys as well as Hot August Nights. This topic has been discussed in great length over the years, and the best solution is to play a variety of genre's, and from several decades. Its the only way to keep everyone happy. For those that wrote "don't play music at all" is absurd, as all legitimate professionally run events have music. I play a bit of everything, from the 1940's to todays top pop standards.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle View Post
There is more than likely no one that has a better insight on this subject than myself. I am a musician, avid record collector, and most importantly, the official DJ for Goodguys as well as Hot August Nights. This topic has been discussed in great length over the years, and the best solution is to play a variety of genre's, and from several decades. Its the only way to keep everyone happy. For those that wrote "don't play music at all" is absurd, as all legitimate professionally run events have music. I play a bit of everything, from the 1940's to todays top pop standards.
Not sure what qualifies as a "legitimate professionally run event", but most of the local shows and cruise meets that are the greatest offenders likely do not. And the "don't play music at all" opinion is not "absurd" for two reasons: 1) Lack of agreement over what should be played, and 2) the general poor quality and LOUDNESS of the sound systems. I attended a show in June where one of the over-loud, crackly speakers was ingeniously placed next to the only food vendor. This resulted in everyone having to shout their order, often multiple times. But I do give the show organizers credit for finding ways for me to hate "Mustang Sally" even more.

Another large, local cruise meet also features the favorite tunes of the geriatric set. I strategically park as far from the speakers as possible. That way, when the tale of Charlie Brown calling his teacher Daddio is played yet again (predictably), it is only a faint background annoyance.

At this point, typical car show music has become a bit of a caricature.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 08-30-2017, 01:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle View Post
Thank you for calling people not liking music at a car event as being absurd in their thinking. I think most of us that said that was not because we didn't like music, but rather how the DJ abused the privilege of dishing out #1 the kind of music, and secondly the loudness of the music and where the speakers are located. In other words people who provide the music have abused the privilege of being there.
I also think everyone has the right to know what is the best music for them. All individual people have BETTER insight for what they like, and don't need anyone to tell them what's best for them.
My question to you is why don't you play music from the 30's ??? 20's????

Last edited by U47; 08-30-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Thank you for calling people not liking music at a car event as being absurd in their thinking. I think most of us that said that was not because we didn't like music, but rather how the DJ abused the privilege of dishing out #1 the kind of music, and secondly the loudness of the music and where the speakers are located. In other words people who provide the music have abused the privilege of being there.
I also think everyone has the right to know what is the best music for them. All individual people have BETTER insight for what they like, and don't need anyone to tell them what's best for them.
My question to you is why don't you play music from the 30's ??? 20's????
My theory and what others have touched on it is: when you take a genre of music recorded years ago, the technology used was no where near as good of quality as it is today. Now take that same sound quality and amplify it through a sound system and you'll hear it even worse. That would leave two options in my opinion. Live music or studio covers. I don't think remastering original songs can really help it either. I imagine there's only so much that can be fixed on a recording that was intended to be heard through a phonograph.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It might be you are just using the wrong equipment. Many audiophiles have gone back to L-P records and tube amps and they say they get much better results ( clarity and true sound ) with new as well as old recordings. Something is lost or left out in the digitized process.
The main complaint on this thread is the overpowering of the music and that can be done on any format - old or new by these guys at car shows, and also on TV shows today.
Today TV shows commentary is overrun by music where music has no purpose other than to discredit the announcer.
Tell me, how in their right mind does someone want to hear music playing at 85DB or above at a car show??? Or anyplace else! Jeez, I got enough of that in my misspent youth playing drums in a band....and now I'm paying for it.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
It might be you are just using the wrong equipment. Many audiophiles have gone back to L-P records and tube amps and they say they get much better results ( clarity and true sound ) with new as well as old recordings. Something is lost or left out in the digitized process.
The main complaint on this thread is the overpowering of the music and that can be done on any format - old or new by these guys at car shows, and also on TV shows today.
Today TV shows commentary is overrun by music where music has no purpose other than to discredit the announcer.
Tell me, how in their right mind does someone want to hear music playing at 85DB or above at a car show??? Or anyplace else! Jeez, I got enough of that in my misspent youth playing drums in a band....and now I'm paying for it.
I do like vinyl and listen to records to capture that sound, but I have noticed going from 128kbs to FLAC does make a difference in quality, but there are a lot of variables in that. Maybe that is the culprit behind my reasoning.
Either way I'm totally with you on the loudness of music at these events. Can't keep up with a couple Flowmaster 40s? Turn it up. Gear driven hot rod drives by? Turn it up. It's like the DJ gets paid by the decibel.

Last edited by codyyy; 08-30-2017 at 10:57 PM.