Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:52 AM

Default Fuel Line from Ames N129C

I ordered fuel line N129C from Ames for my '67 GTO. It's the line from the fuel pump to the carb on a '67 without an external filter or other lines from carb back to the pump. I placed the order and received it in about 3-4 days, which was fast based on my previous orders from Ames.

The box comes damaged (see pic) but the line looks OK. I can't blame Ames for that, most likely the shipper.

The line LOOKS right based on comparing to the car, so I decide that I'll go ahead and change it. Once I get the old line off I can see that the bends aren't QUITE right, but pretty close, so I'll install it. Based on the bends it makes contact with the block in a couple of places, can't quite get the fittings to line up. I mess around with it FOR HOURS trying to get it connected - trying to make subtle adjustments with a tubing bender, vice, etc. to not damage the line. I manage with some effort to get everything threaded. I start the car and it leaks at the carb and at the pump. Fuel lines are temperamental, they have to be on correctly, close but no cigar.

Ultimately frustrated, I take a tubing cutter and cut a few inches out of the line where it goes by the power steering bracket and splice in some 3/8:" fuel hose. Now I can get everything lined up properly, tighten everything, no leaks. Boy it pisses me off to cut a line that I just paid $33 for ($23 and a crushing $10 shipping from Eastern PA to Western PA). I hated to do it, but it was midnight, and I just didn't see where I'd ever get it into place - I must have snaked that line up from under the car 20 times!

I support Ames and buy from them and will continue to do so because they support the Pontiac hobby. I hate it when stuff like this happens!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Damaged Ames Box Fuel Line Order.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	460792  

Old 08-10-2017, 02:19 PM
Ames Tech Staff member

Sorry about this.. If you would like you can PM me your customer number and we can contact you and maybe determine the issue and get you a new line?

Old 08-15-2017, 09:25 AM

Ames provided a satisfactory resolution for me under the circumstances. They're a stand-up company and they provide a lot of support to Pontiac enthusiasts and our hobby.