THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Floor jack fix?

I have had this National 2-1/2 ton floor jack for about 30 years. Awesome Heavy Jack!

A leak has occurred out the top of the (up and down) plunger. Both the thin white plastic washer and the black/green rubber seal are bad.

I can not find these two items.

I want to try to fix this jack before purchasing a new one.

Any suggestions where I could find these parts.

Thank You for any help!!! Chris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0579.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	459059   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0580.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	459060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0560.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	459061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0561.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	459062  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Try these folks. You may have to take them in so they can match them up. Good luck.

MOTION INDUSTRIES

8076 CENTRAL AVE
NEWARK, CA 94560
Phone: (510) 266-0200
Fax: (510) 266-0218

SDD

Old 07-19-2017, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris, if you can't get it fixed, go to a Harbor Freight store and get a 4 ton floor jack. You can't lift anything you want with it. Within reason. LOL I figured a replacement needed to be a bit more heavy duty so I went with a 4 ton. Price isn't bad and it's a dual piston jack.

I had a 2 1/2 ton jack identical to what you have and it crapped out on me after 20 years.

The white washer looks close to the washer you'd use of an oil pan drain plug. Check a parts store and see. The black one you might find at a hydraulic repair shop...... if you have one near you. A long shot but what do ya have to lose?

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a company in mid Michigan, In Kawkawlin called Hydraulics Unlimited and they will be able to fix you up. Give them a call.

Tim john---

Old 07-19-2017, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you take the old parts to any Parker store etc. or a like hydraulic shop they many times can match up suitable seal parts.

BTW, the plunger thing you described is called the ram, if you want to speak hydraulicease to them...............

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 07-19-2017, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

20 years ago I inherited an old Walker that recently blew out a seal. I have 3 floor jacks of other brands that can't compare to that old Walker. I'm going to find someone to save this one.
Nothing else like good old American equipment.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jalopy Journal board member HIball is a jack repairman. He posted a tutorial on repairing offshore brand hydraulic jacks here: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...ad.php?t=51105 Most of them come out of the same factory, or at least are built similarly. Unfortunately, because of the whole Photobucket fiasco the pictures are gone, but you can read through the test and it should help out.

This thread goes into repair of a Walker jack: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...ht=jack+repair

There are other threads for Craftsman, Hein-Werner, Weaver, Blackhawk and other brands, do a search over there using Hiball in the user name black and jack repair in the keyword blank.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have the same jack for years.(MAC) This might be the seal; http://eezee.com.sg/shop/mechanical-...112-x-125-x-9/

TOM
Old 07-20-2017, 07:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
20 years ago I inherited an old Walker that recently blew out a seal. I have 3 floor jacks of other brands that can't compare to that old Walker. I'm going to find someone to save this one.
I have that same jack I bought in 1979 at my first dealership job. The Pontiac dealer had a few old scary floor jacks so I bought my own. It has been a workhorse and has never failed me. I would try and get it fixed if you can. The new stuff if flimsy crap compared to what you have. About 5 years ago I bought a Snap-ON 3 ton jack because this one was so old. The Snap-ON 3-ton will not lift what the old reliable like yours will. And to add insult to the marginal Snap-ON jack, it is made in China! Go figure.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
I've got a 'Fleet' that I've been told was NAPA's brand name but possibly built by Walker? I've used it since 1974, inherited it permanently in 1988, and my car is sitting two feet off the floor on it as I type this. Been holding it up like that for a month. It's been absolutely bullet-proof for the last 43 years.
This place has a seal kit for mine...maybe 60sstuff's and yours too?
http://www.hcrcnow.com/shop/seal-kits/fleet/6202

Last edited by Greg Reid; 07-20-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

McMaster.com. They have virtually everything to construct a Saturn V rocket. Parts and dimensional drawings for comparison to match your needs.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am another member of the 30+ year old "Cheap Jack" club. What an amazing tool!

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 07-20-2017, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Big Thanks to everyone's suggestions !!!

I will research / look through all to above leads hoping to find a fix for this old "tough guy jack".

I'm not to pleased with the crap that's avaliable in this world now.

Thanks for the help! Chris.

PS, yes it is called a "ram", not a plunger ..... my bad. :-)

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:35 PM
Senior Chief

The worst floor jack I ever bought was Pitt Pro sold by Fisher Auto Parts, absolute crap. I ended up chucking the whole thng after 5 or 6 years.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are still excellent floor jacks being made in the US .... but the price will give you a heart attack and you'll never get to use it.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Duty D View Post
Try these folks. You may have to take them in so they can match them up. Good luck.

MOTION INDUSTRIES

8076 CENTRAL AVE
NEWARK, CA 94560
Phone: (510) 266-0200
Fax: (510) 266-0218

SDD
PERFECT!

Super Duty D, your advice work out perfectly. I did not know about this business, but they found the match of the type of seal I needed and my jack works like new again!

Plus they are only 15 minutes from my house.

Thanks to all the above for your input.

Chris.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

THANKS for posting this thread, Chris & THANK YOU Super Duty D for posting the addres. Have three 25- near 35 year old orange & white floor jacks that need seal kits. Each of mine look the ones you have pictured, but they are labeled Allied. Bought my first one @ Sams in '84. After losing the handle for it in the late 80's was forced to make a (crude) handle. Unfortunately, many of my memories of out of state monster yard hunting are of hauling one of these 85 lb orange jacks on my right shoulder, sometimes over a 1/2 mile out into monster boneyards where the employees wouldnt haul out the jack for me. Also destroyed quite a few of the cast metal casters on the darn things on rough concrete. The 2nd one I picked for extra parts back in the mid 90's in a local crusher yard. For over a decade, had a local elderly gentleman that rebuilt these jacks for me as well as many other folks, unfortunately he has since passed. Will be disassembling to get the correct seal sizes then contacting Motion.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
PERFECT!

Super Duty D, your advice work out perfectly. I did not know about this business, but they found the match of the type of seal I needed and my jack works like new again!

Plus they are only 15 minutes from my house.

Thanks to all the above for your input.

Chris.
Chris,

My Pleasure, glad I could help out. MI is a industrial manufacturing supplier and has been in business for many years, they have global distribution points across the US.

All seals and bearings have marking codes that are standardized, usually in a metric measurement that describe OD x ID x thickness, plus seal type, including bearings. Give them the the numbers and they can match it up with a current manufacturer of that item.

MI is not the cheapest solution, but they got the the stuff when you need it to keep your factory or plant running and get it to you quickly, if you require. Down time in manufacturing is bad news.

SDD