Old 07-21-2017, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Key Code Help Needed

I replaced the non-original ignition switch that was in my '64 with a used original I picked up many years ago.

I have assumed my door locks are original. And the key that operates them seems to be an original B & S key.

Took the switch to the local old time locksmith. Asked him to recode my "new" switch to the door lock key.

For some reason, he decided my key was worn or not quite right. So he wound up coding the cylinder to a different code and gave me a new key.

But that key doesn't work the door locks.

So I went back to him with the Ignition Key Code from the PHS. He made up a key to match what is in his book for that Code. But it doesn't work the door locks either.

He gave me the Code that DOES match my old key, I didn't write it down but it is not the same as on the PHS, different enough that it couldn't be a case of somebody transposing nos. on the PHS.

I had him look up the Trunk Key and the Code for it DOES match the PHS.

So either my door locks were replaced at some point (evidence seems to make that unlikely), or the car shipped with Ignition/Door Locks that were not the code that was shown on the PHS so a production mistake, or the locksmith's code book (computer) is wrong (kinda unlikely since he came up with a code that does match my door lock key).

Anybody else ever find the wrong Key code on their PHS, not matched to the original locks?

Any locksmiths that can check their Code book for Code 8434 to see what you find?

When I checked my door lock key against the Shop Manual key cuts, I discovered that it is almost the same as what the locksmith shows for the Code 8434, positions 2, 3, 5, & 6 are identical but positions 1 & 4 are 1 depth (0.025") shallower on my old key than what the book shows for 8434.

Numerically, the cuts in my key are 232134 (Shop Manual uses Letter codes which yields NBNCBY). The Computer says 8434 is 332234 (Letter coding BBNNBY).

So I have two choices:

1. Recode all (3) locks to match the Code on the PHS.
2. Assume the Code on the PHS was wrong and just recode the Ignition Switch to the Door Lock key.

I'm inclined to code it to match the PHS Code but then I think, maybe the door locks are original and somehow the coding for my Code is screwed up in the old books or new computer.

I know it is a long shot, but asking if anybody else has a Code 8434 on their PHS. If so and you have an original key, perhaps it can be checked to see if it matches the code book or if perhaps it matches my old key and the code book is wrong.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's an easier question.

According to other sites, the door lock should have the 4 digit code stamped on it.

Does anybody know if that is true?

Door panels are not yet installed so should be easy to pull the door locks out to check for a code.

Is there anything more to it than that? Does the door lock have to come apart or do I just pull it off the door and find the code stamp on the side of it?

Any chance somebody has a picture of a door lock showing where the code stamp should be?

Old 07-21-2017, 04:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes this is true the number is stamped on the outside.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Okay! Thanks.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like PHS has the wrong code number.
Go with # 2.... Assume the Code on the PHS was wrong and just recode the Ignition Switch to the Door Lock key. That is what I'd do. You know the door locks are correct, so make the ignition match them.

Oh...... go to a different locksmith too.

Back when PY was with us, I got all the locks new in one batch. Ignition and door with two correct B&S keys. Trunk, glove box, and console with two correct B&S keys. Tho no codes on any of the keys. But that's ok as I have the keys and locks the way they should be on my 66.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I'll be!

Door lock cylinders are stamped with the same code as identified on the PHS record. See attached pic. Looks like they are originals as I expected they would be.

For some reason, my locksmith's computer tells him a different tumbler sequence for this code.

As outlined in the opening post, his computer shows positions 1 & 4 to be different from the sequence as determined by the actual key cuts.

No matter, I am having him reset the Ignition Switch to match the sequence of the key that actually works the door locks and that I am reasonably sure is an original key.

Hopefully he'll get it right and I will have an Ignition Switch that will work off my original key.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170725_133759.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	459523