Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-02-2017, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
I really enjoyed the Speedworld events. It's a shame it shut down. I now enjoy the race portion more, and I rarely venture over to the show section. IDK... Hawaiian shirts, wide brim hats, and 50's music ad nauseum isn't my thing, and most likely will never be.

The autocross event at PH seemed to be a well received fun event, maybe something to grow on.

I enjoy the driving portion of any show. The rest is something I can mostly get out of a magazine or the internet.

Live music would be awesome as long as it wasn't a Buddy Holly cover band. I was in a cover band a few years ago (AC/DC, GnR, Metallica, Volbeat, Pantera, etc.) and wanted to put something together for PH, but it never materialized. I think the music with cars would be a killer combo.

My cars don't look show worthy, and probably never will. That's why I build them to drive.
Those are some great ideas. I did like the autocross event but honestly when I heard that was happening I was a bit disappointed that we weren't using the actual Bonderaunt track on the premises. Now that would be some fun. Even a shortened down version of it. I'm not a huge fan of the "cone" thing but I do enjoy an actual road course.
You didn't miss much at the show portion although there were a few very nicely done cars. But like you, I'd rather do some drag racing, and if anything was nice about the really low turnout, is that you got a ton of passes in that day, lol.
One thing at the Nomad convention we used to do is more of a rally thing. Not sure what it's called these days and don't think it's even done anymore, but we had to turn-stop-backup- and maneuver around hay bails and drop balls in various 5 gallon buckets throughout the course, so you had a passenger hanging out the window taking care of that part while you did the driving. Let me tell you that was a ton of fun and took some skill to stop the car and back up in these pockets and make the balls in the buckets. Quickest time wins. Especially fun in a Nomad with manual steering and manual drum brakes, lol.
Lots of things could be done to spruce these shows up, but everything is either taboo these days, or organizing something is just too big of a challenge for people.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Www.cruisinthecoast.com

1963 Cat SD Clone (old school) streeter
1964 GTO post coupe, tripower, 4speed (build)
1965 GTO 389 tripower, 4 speed, driver
1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1969 Tempest ET clone street/strip
1969 GTO Judge RA lll, auto
1969 GTO limelight Conv. 4speed go and show (sold)
1970 GP SSJ
1970 GTO barn find..TLB…390 horse?….yeh, 390
1972 GTO 455 HO, 4 speed, (build)
1973 Grand Safari wagon, 700hp stoplight sleeper
525ci DCI & 609ci LM V head builds
Old 07-03-2017, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like I was saying there's a MC club in Petaluma(45 miles one way for me) that does a poker Run/show every year. It's one of the best events that I attend all year. The first year I called about the poker run and was told that it was just for the bikes. Needless to say I was a little bent when I got off the phone. The more I thought about it, the more determined I got ( I hate people telling me I can't do something) so I basically crashed the poker run with the bird. For the last six years or so I have been the only hot rod on the run. The bikes love it. I get a warm reception every year. They don't give a crap. Most of them come over to check out the car and ask about it. Last year I installed some electric cutouts just for the occasion. You should've seen the smiles I got from all the road hogs. Priceless. In the afternoon they have a bike/car show at the end of the run at the fairgrounds with some really great bands and a big bbq. I am usually having so fun on the poker run that I don't even make it back to the fairgrounds in time to get into the show with the car (they don't let cars in after 12 noon). Fine with me. Just saves me an extra $30. Admission to the fairgrounds is free and the music is all free. Honestly it's probably the best " show" I do all year. They annually give $25K to Veterans and other charities. Those guys know how to do it for sure.

69 Firebird-462/Edel round ports/currently running the Holley Sniper/4sp/3.23posi/Deluxe Int/pwr st/vintage air/4wl disc( a work in progress-always )

http://youtu.be/eaWBd3M9MN4
Old 07-04-2017, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebob View Post
Like I was saying there's a MC club in Petaluma(45 miles one way for me) that does a poker Run/show every year. It's one of the best events that I attend all year. The first year I called about the poker run and was told that it was just for the bikes. Needless to say I was a little bent when I got off the phone. The more I thought about it, the more determined I got ( I hate people telling me I can't do something) so I basically crashed the poker run with the bird. For the last six years or so I have been the only hot rod on the run. The bikes love it. I get a warm reception every year. They don't give a crap. Most of them come over to check out the car and ask about it. Last year I installed some electric cutouts just for the occasion. You should've seen the smiles I got from all the road hogs. Priceless. In the afternoon they have a bike/car show at the end of the run at the fairgrounds with some really great bands and a big bbq. I am usually having so fun on the poker run that I don't even make it back to the fairgrounds in time to get into the show with the car (they don't let cars in after 12 noon). Fine with me. Just saves me an extra $30. Admission to the fairgrounds is free and the music is all free. Honestly it's probably the best " show" I do all year. They annually give $25K to Veterans and other charities. Those guys know how to do it for sure.
That's really cool Bob. I've never tried to join their runs but they do them all the time here. Surrounded by mountains makes for beautiful scenery and fun to drive, so tons of motor cycle runs happen here on the weekends.

You're right, I run into large groups of them all the time at the local gas station on the weekends and the classic cars always seem to interest them when I'm filling up, asking questions etc... They are enthusiasts just like we are. One of my good friends has owned a real deal 69 COPO Camaro since 1972, and he's always had a hog he loves to ride as well.

There are a lot of car clubs that organize rides through the mountains here too, but it's always either Corvette clubs or Porche clubs. Very rarely does a genuine classic muscle car club ever organize anything like that. I never understood that.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"My go to show is the Iola Old Car Show - in Iola, WI."

Thanks for the post Champ, that looks like it would be worth checking out. Good friends of ours live down the road in Osh Gosh, so would be a fun wknd. Can't make it this year, but putting it on the calendar for 2018!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight
Old 07-04-2017, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Car shows are one of two things....

-Entertainment in between autocross runs

-If there is no racing, there better be beer and good company or I'm out

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 07-04-2017, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Pontiacs are modified so I generally go to events put on by street rod clubs because there is way more to do. "Slow Drags", valve cover races, bash the import, betting on which engine will run the longest without oil, etc. Generally they have stuff for the whole family to do. And most of all they don't belittle your car because it has the wrong hose clamps or firewall color.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The Detroit area is a good place to be a car nut. In my area we have 3 types of shows... Big events like Woodward, Downriver, Mi Ave. and Telegraph all cruises which are all day events. Then we have regular car shows with music and raffles these can be found just about every day of the week. Then we have weekend hangouts along Woodward and Telegraph this has been going on for 50+ years. This can be a game of cat and mouse with the police but it still is alot of fun. The only problem is our summer is so short!

Old 07-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I never go to car shows. I just drive my car and work on it.

My favorite thing in the world is to pull up next to a young kid in an older car and give them a thumbs-up. Not many kids these days driving old GTO's, but you still see some with an old Cutlass or maybe an old Chevy truck. Since my GTO was my first car, I feel a certain kinship with any young guy driving an older car around every day, you put up with a lot, but those old cars give you something you can never get from a new one.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:31 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobalong View Post
Last minute thing tonight (Sat) drove 40 minutes south to a Sonic Drive in "Cruise In"
Had to laugh when we arrived. Same old music. I mean doesn't any DJ at these events ever mix it up a little ?
Parked the car , bugs on the windshield, car needed a bath. Just didn't care. Walked around, looked at a few rides.
One really nice 79 Trans Am, 403 engine, fat ass was parked in his lawn chair, seemed totally disinterested in talking to me.
None the less. Visited for 30-40 minutes then, bailed.
Bar hopped our way home.
I'm either going to stop bitching about these boring events OR come up with some alternatives.

You're preaching to the choir here buddy! I used to D.J. some of the local cruise-ins. I got mega-tired of the moldy-oldies, so I decided to play some classic 38 Special, April Wine, Boston etc. Nothing too harsh. You woulda thought I kicked their dogs the way they reacted! I had an older fellow come up to the booth and ream me for playing " The worst music I've ever heard at a car show". You just can't win with these people. I stopped dj'ing shortly after that.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sounds like most of us are on the same page here. When I first got mine done it was more fun seeing the cars and talking. But now we have more fun on the cruzes. We have our own were we pick a place like a track with racing and shows. If its a show far away its more interesting because your not looking at the same cars you see close to home

Old 07-05-2017, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansvertdude View Post
You're preaching to the choir here buddy! I used to D.J. some of the local cruise-ins. I got mega-tired of the moldy-oldies, so I decided to play some classic 38 Special, April Wine, Boston etc. Nothing too harsh. You woulda thought I kicked their dogs the way they reacted! I had an older fellow come up to the booth and ream me for playing " The worst music I've ever heard at a car show". You just can't win with these people. I stopped dj'ing shortly after that.
Actually, 38 Special and Boston are all you hear on what they call the "oldies" station anymore around here (not even remotely close to old to me). Pretty bad when an oldies station thinks that Prince and Michael Jackson are oldies now. I'm a bit older than that, and that stuff just doesn't fit the theme of a 50's-60's car event.
I myself find it refreshing to hear some 50's music at a car event because we don't have a radio station in the state of Arizona that even remotely focuses on that. Yet they call themselves an oldies station
This pretty much follows the same theme as the last thread about how old a car has to be before you consider it old. There are a lot of young pups here that feel late 70's and 80's music is old I guess.

There ya go, thoughts from the other side of the spectrum

Old 07-05-2017, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with Formulajones on the music. There are, however, some songs from the 2000's that are really good. There's nothing wrong, however, with mixing a little Train, Zak Brown, Jimmy Buffet, and others with genuine '50/'60's tunes.

My chief complaint with car shows is the length of the day. If you want a good spot, arrival by 7:00 AM is a must. Most shows give awards out at 3:00 PM. that gives you eight hours to wipe the dust/bugs off your car, roll down the windows, position the seat belts, set out your lawn chairs, etc. It usually takes about an hour or two at the most to look at all the cars and vote. Some participants spend the time hawking votes for their car. That leaves five hours of sitting in your lawn chairs, talking with other participants, spectators, etc. After I hear "I had a car just like yours" from about six spectators, I've had it!

I like cruises with a few stops so you can talk to the others in your group and enjoy a sandwich or a drink at a non-chain restaurant or bar.

Why can't car shows end at about 1:00 pm or maybe even noon?

Just my opinion after a few hundred shows since 1981.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4093.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	458174   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4092.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	458175  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 07-05-2017, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
I agree with Formulajones on the music. There are, however, some songs from the 2000's that are really good. There's nothing wrong, however, with mixing a little Train, Zak Brown, Jimmy Buffet, and others with genuine '50/'60's tunes.

My chief complaint with car shows is the length of the day. If you want a good spot, arrival by 7:00 AM is a must. Most shows give awards out at 3:00 PM. that gives you eight hours to wipe the dust/bugs off your car, roll down the windows, position the seat belts, set out your lawn chairs, etc. It usually takes about an hour or two at the most to look at all the cars and vote. Some participants spend the time hawking votes for their car. That leaves five hours of sitting in your lawn chairs, talking with other participants, spectators, etc. After I hear "I had a car just like yours" from about six spectators, I've had it!

I like cruises with a few stops so you can talk to the others in your group and enjoy a sandwich or a drink at a non-chain restaurant or bar.

Why can't car shows end at about 1:00 pm or maybe even noon?

Just my opinion after a few hundred shows since 1981.
I agree on the music Dick, I don't mind newer music, plenty of great songs up through today. At the same time I don't mind 50's music at the shows. Kind of look forward to it actually since we don't have a radio station that plays it.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been going to the Run in the sun car show in Myrtle Beach every year for the last 18 years. Always a wide variety of cars. 3rd week of March so it's not too hot and they cruise ocean blvd each night Thurs-Sat. It's getting to be too big to see it all. It's the only one I attend regularly. Occasionally go to the Charlotte auto fair more for the swap meet. The good guys show at Charlotte is almost 30 dollars a piece just to get in as a spectator, it's nowhere near the size of the run in the sun which is totally free, and the swap meet is crap although it has more vendors ready to rip you a new one.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:40 AM

I have been saying the same thing to my wife for a few years now. I don't even have my car remotely closed to finished yet but I have been telling her when its finished, cruises only.

First off, I feel that I have spent countless hours and money on restoring my beauty that I shouldn't have to pay to show my car... Shows around me sometimes don't like it, and feel inconvenienced when you leave early. You pay money to sit in a field or parking lot when its 80º with no shade for 8 hrs just to listen to people pick your car apart of every flaw. Not for me...

It's mostly only car people that attend car shows. I want my Judge to be seen by people that wouldn't normally go to shows. I want to drive it!! Get it out there and show it off. I will be strictly doing cruises not shows, if I do go to them my car will be outside the fence and I will walk in. I grew up going to Iola and Jefferson. I will be at Iola this weekend but just observing as usual. Hopefully see a Judge there this year...

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Old 07-06-2017, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69RamAirIIIJudge View Post
First off, I feel that I have spent countless hours and money on restoring my beauty that I shouldn't have to pay to show my car...
Up until now I thought my neighbor was the only one with that thought. He says the same thing and thinks it's strange that you have to pay to show your car. In fact, he feels it should be the exact opposite, these places should be paying us to bring our cars out.

It's one of the reasons why cruises are my main focus and where I have the most fun.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is my favorite cruise every Saturday night, all year round. Drives me crazy that they call it a car show in the video, because it's not. It's a cruise. You come and go as you please, just a bunch of locals that want to hang out. If the weather isn't too hot, this is what you see every week. I drive 100 miles one way just to attend this cruise, and it's worth every mile of it. As you can see, it's been on the Car Crazy show. On weekends that we have Barrett Jackson and Goodguys events that are just a few miles away, you can only imagine how crazy busy this cruise gets

https://youtu.be/fHRqsn5Vidk

Old 07-06-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Up until now I thought my neighbor was the only one with that thought. He says the same thing and thinks it's strange that you have to pay to show your car. In fact, he feels it should be the exact opposite, these places should be paying us to bring our cars out.

It's one of the reasons why cruises are my main focus and where I have the most fun.
I just want to enjoy the car and drive the wheels off it! I will have plenty of time to sit and look at it in my garage when the snow flies around here... non snow season I plan on racking up some miles, whether it be cruises or just out on my own... I can't wait!!!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Old 07-06-2017, 10:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yep Cruise only for us . . . . . .however there is a combination car show, dance, food, bar, this Friday 30 minutes from here,
and we think it sounds like the right place to try.

Music ? It's almost like asking which motor oil is best.
I cringe when I roll up and there's Chuck Berry, The Drifters, Buddy Holly AGAIN.

I have owned a restaurant in a small town for 35 years. Always music playing in the background, SPOTIFY allows
us to constantly mix it up. Never RAP, or anything with lyrics unfit for children. Country, 70's 80's 90's Rock , a few new things.

On occasion if it's late and the younger crowd wants Hip Hop, well, . . letter rip.