Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-29-2017, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob, I look for excuses to go somewhere just so I can drive the car. I rarely consolidate my trips.

If my wife tells me the Z needs gas.....I'm on it

Old 06-29-2017, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

...car show every time i commute in the GTO

Old 06-29-2017, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"99% of the time the best part about a car show is the drive to and from that I enjoy the most"

I agree!

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471
Old 06-29-2017, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post

99% of the time the best part about a car show is the drive to and from that I enjoy the most
X2. I entered my first and last show last year with the 68 AMX and it was enough to convince me I'm not a car show guy. To spice it up you need some interaction and activities with the cars. Looking at cars sitting still with their hoods up is not what they were built for.

Old combo:
462 10.75 CR,,SD 330CFM Round Port E's,Old Faithful cam,Jim Hand Continental,3.42's.
1968 Pontiac GTO : 11.114 @ 120.130 MPH

New combo:
517 MR-1,10.8 CR,SD 350CFM E's,QFT 950/Northwind,246/252 HR,9.5” 4000 stall,3.42's
636HP/654TQ
1.452 10.603 @ 125.09
http://www.dragtimes.com/Pontiac-GTO...lip-31594.html
Old 06-29-2017, 08:19 PM

Frankenmuth Autofest.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and
try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger.
But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half."
- Winston Churchill

Old 06-29-2017, 08:55 PM

Last weekend I went to a show in Medfield, MA that ran from 9-3. I arrived around 12:30 and it appeared that about 40% of the cars had left. It was a nice sunny day and not too hot. If people don't want to stay because of boredom or commitments, maybe the shows should be shorter.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonhunter70 View Post
Hey Bob downtown Owensboro first Saturday of every month has a pretty good cruise in. We were at the last one and enjoyed it pretty well plus there are a few good restaurants and bars.
Saw that in the book. 4-9 PM.

Restaurants and bars makes it even better . . . . .lot of potential.

Thanks

Old 06-30-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barzini View Post
Last weekend I went to a show in Medfield, MA that ran from 9-3. I arrived around 12:30 and it appeared that about 40% of the cars had left. It was a nice sunny day and not too hot. If people don't want to stay because of boredom or commitments, maybe the shows should be shorter.
this is very typical of the car hobby, though. i call this the early morning 'kitchen pass'. unless a couple are both into cars and head to the shows together - the older couples with the lawn chairs - the early morning is the kitchen pass window for the husband. he has to get out early, have his fun, and be back for his family responsibilities. this is why you find people getting to C&C around the country at 5:30a because they know the lot is jam packed by 7:00a. half the time, i can't get my ass out of bed early enough to even get into the local C&C.

'86 951
'05 V70R
Old 06-30-2017, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barzini View Post
I've seen this a lot in the last dozen years. Seems people leave earlier and earlier. I also see a lot of cruises that have a certain time frame. 4pm to 7pm seems to be the norm around here. Which I don't understand much at all. Most show up before that and are gone by 6pm. By the time we get done with work and head out we don't roll in until 6 or 6:30 anyway, so it's not even worth it for me to make a trip to those cruises.

The good cruises we used to do, you would show up at 6 or 7pm and hang till midnight, with none of that set time frame nonsense. The restaurants welcomed the business. Now most restaurants only want you during their slow days during the week, so I see more cruises pop up on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. No thanks. I'm too busy during the week, besides that, cruising has always been a weekend thing growing up and I'm not changing that. If the restaurants don't want that, It doesn't bother me to drive my car somewhere else.

The one good cruise I mentioned already at the Pavilions in Scottsdale on Saturday nights is more like what I remember growing up. You go later in the evening, which is common here in AZ when the temps start to cool, and you hang well into the night time.
That's what we used to do at the Frisch's Mainliner

Old 06-30-2017, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by linden_gto View Post
this is very typical of the car hobby, though. i call this the early morning 'kitchen pass'. unless a couple are both into cars and head to the shows together - the older couples with the lawn chairs - the early morning is the kitchen pass window for the husband. he has to get out early, have his fun, and be back for his family responsibilities. this is why you find people getting to C&C around the country at 5:30a because they know the lot is jam packed by 7:00a. half the time, i can't get my ass out of bed early enough to even get into the local C&C.
I'm an early riser anyway (4am) but cruises weren't meant to do in the mornings where I grew up. That's a night time thing on a Friday or Saturday night. All these morning and early afternoon cruises on odd days in the middle of the week that you now see all the time.....I just don't do them.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:56 AM
Senior Chief

Hey Neighbor!

Unfortunately, Bobalong is right. Our local cruise-in season is loaded with events that are mostly all the same. Sit around and see the same stuff all the time. I think we actually have too many events going on at the same time. The turnout gets diluted with so many choices.

I've been involved with two local Pontiac clubs that have both dissolved due to lack of interest. Any time we tried to do anything different that might make our show more interesting, we couldn't get enough support to do it.

I've been taking most of this year off from the whole cruise-in/ carshow thang. Partially because my car is under construction and partly because I'm just kinda bored with it.

Got to hit the Frog Follies though!!!

Old 06-30-2017, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I participated in a car show once. It was about as exciting as watching grass grow. Going to one as a spectator isn't as bad but only for about an hour. Steve Barcak's Pontiac Heaven event is pretty good. It has a car show, drag race and now an autocross event.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Meyer View Post
I participated in a car show once. It was about as exciting as watching grass grow. Going to one as a spectator isn't as bad but only for about an hour. Steve Barcak's Pontiac Heaven event is pretty good. It has a car show, drag race and now an autocross event.
He has the recipe for what could be a great event, sadly we only had a couple dozen cars last year. We get more cars at a local cruise up here in Prescott, lol. The lack of support will kill it eventually unless he does something to change that. Dealing with Wildhorse likely isn't going to be as easy as it was with Speedworld. Unfortunately Pontiacs aren't as big as Chevy's and Fords in this part of the country, unlike back East where Pontiacs are more plentiful. I hate to say it but he'll most likely need to open it to all brands to get the car count up, and just split the Pontiacs into their own category. Maybe a grudge event (Ford vs Chevy vs Pontiac) would be a theme that may draw a crowd. Otherwise it may fade away. I do hope it continues though. Need to get all the Pontiacs out of the Pavilions and over to Wildhorse that weekend.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:43 PM

once the poci convention passes, this is another all-pontiac show i'm looking forward to. luckily, it's minutes from both my house and office. looking forward to this one!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PSN flyer.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	457892  

'86 951
'05 V70R
Old 06-30-2017, 08:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

For me the fun in car shows is answering questions about the car and hearing stories from those that owned something like it in their past. I especially like when the younger crowd ask questions and actually want to hear details about how certain things were designed back in the day. If it weren't for those experiences, I would stop taking a car to the shows and likely just be part of the crowd that observe the various cars.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I grew up going to shows and swap meets so when I got old enough to have a car of my own it was a pretty natural thing. I'm not sure what happened, if car shows changed or if my interests changed but I can't stand sitting in one spot all day so I pick and choose what I go to these days. I do Hot August Nights in Reno for a couple reasons. They have so much going on everyday that you would be hard pressed to do it all even if you wanted to. That and I kind of started a gathering there and would like to see it continue and I feel like it won't unless I make the effort. Other than that we won't do a show unless we go with a big group and even then it gets a bit stale at times. There are so many shows around here but they all get $30 or so for registration. Personally I'd rather put that in my tank and drive around a bit so I really enjoy a rally or poker run more than any show. After all cars were made to be driven. Sometime I will go as a spectator but I'm in, look at the rides, and I'm out. Definitely not as much fun. Seems like motorcycle clubs have a better idea. At least most of them make a trip to somewhere out of the day.

69 Firebird-462/Edel round ports/currently running the Holley Sniper/4sp/3.23posi/Deluxe Int/pwr st/vintage air/4wl disc( a work in progress-always )

http://youtu.be/eaWBd3M9MN4
Old 07-02-2017, 12:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Last minute thing tonight (Sat) drove 40 minutes south to a Sonic Drive in "Cruise In"
Had to laugh when we arrived. Same old music. I mean doesn't any DJ at these events ever mix it up a little ?
Parked the car , bugs on the windshield, car needed a bath. Just didn't care. Walked around, looked at a few rides.
One really nice 79 Trans Am, 403 engine, fat ass was parked in his lawn chair, seemed totally disinterested in talking to me.
None the less. Visited for 30-40 minutes then, bailed.
Bar hopped our way home.
I'm either going to stop bitching about these boring events OR come up with some alternatives.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
He has the recipe for what could be a great event, sadly we only had a couple dozen cars last year. We get more cars at a local cruise up here in Prescott, lol. The lack of support will kill it eventually unless he does something to change that. Dealing with Wildhorse likely isn't going to be as easy as it was with Speedworld. Unfortunately Pontiacs aren't as big as Chevy's and Fords in this part of the country, unlike back East where Pontiacs are more plentiful. I hate to say it but he'll most likely need to open it to all brands to get the car count up, and just split the Pontiacs into their own category. Maybe a grudge event (Ford vs Chevy vs Pontiac) would be a theme that may draw a crowd. Otherwise it may fade away. I do hope it continues though. Need to get all the Pontiacs out of the Pavilions and over to Wildhorse that weekend.
I really enjoyed the Speedworld events. It's a shame it shut down. I now enjoy the race portion more, and I rarely venture over to the show section. IDK... Hawaiian shirts, wide brim hats, and 50's music ad nauseum isn't my thing, and most likely will never be.

The autocross event at PH seemed to be a well received fun event, maybe something to grow on.

I enjoy the driving portion of any show. The rest is something I can mostly get out of a magazine or the internet.

Live music would be awesome as long as it wasn't a Buddy Holly cover band. I was in a cover band a few years ago (AC/DC, GnR, Metallica, Volbeat, Pantera, etc.) and wanted to put something together for PH, but it never materialized. I think the music with cars would be a killer combo.

My cars don't look show worthy, and probably never will. That's why I build them to drive.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My hometown (Eaton Rapids, MI) puts together a cruise-in event downtown on Wednesday nights in the summer. Next time I get back there (hopefully soon) I plan to attend one. My buddy who still lives there says it is pretty cool, and draws attendees from all over southern MI.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1729142867304412/

Here's the fb group. I can't find a big online presence for the event. It is a rural-ish town south of Lansing, with maybe 5000 people. Life moves a little bit slower there.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebob View Post
I grew up going to shows and swap meets so when I got old enough to have a car of my own it was a pretty natural thing. I'm not sure what happened, if car shows changed or if my interests changed but I can't stand sitting in one spot all day so I pick and choose what I go to these days. I do Hot August Nights in Reno for a couple reasons. They have so much going on everyday that you would be hard pressed to do it all even if you wanted to. That and I kind of started a gathering there and would like to see it continue and I feel like it won't unless I make the effort. Other than that we won't do a show unless we go with a big group and even then it gets a bit stale at times. There are so many shows around here but they all get $30 or so for registration. Personally I'd rather put that in my tank and drive around a bit so I really enjoy a rally or poker run more than any show. After all cars were made to be driven. Sometime I will go as a spectator but I'm in, look at the rides, and I'm out. Definitely not as much fun. Seems like motorcycle clubs have a better idea. At least most of them make a trip to somewhere out of the day.
You hit on some great points. The entry price for some of this stuff is crazy. GoodGuys wants $70 for the weekend if you want to put your car in and all you do is sit there with it. For that kind of money there better be some drag racing, or a collection of cars to go on a cruise through a designated route (like our Rt 66 cruise) to actually enjoy the cars. I can sit and stare at it in the garage for free. All our Saturday night cruises are free to hang out and I can see the same cars :shrug:
I even have a problem with $30 entry fees for local shows, just to sit there...no thanks. $20 is my limit for the Lawn Chair Nationals and these days that doesn't get you much. Not that I don't mind the higher prices, there just better be some car participation events to go with it. Like you said, if there isn't then I'd rather throw that money in the tank and go on a nice mountain drive myself and enjoy the car, by myself is just fine.

I like Hot August Nights but you're right, you can't see it all, even over a period of a few days. My only issue that really is a good issue to have I guess, is that every motel and every street corner has something going on every night, and you can't be in all these places at once. You end up missing a lot of what is going on because the event is so big and spread out over many city blocks. If you don't drive your car to these places then you have transportation issues (the shuttles shut down around 8pm while things are still going well into the night) and finding a safe place to park with your classic is impossible. I know some have been stuck walking miles back to their motel. I do enjoy the huge swap meet though.

You're right, motorcycle groups got it right. They are always enjoying a road trip somewhere. Car guys just don't to that enough.