Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Blower and Nitros

How much of a gain can I expect with a 125-150 shot of nitros on my 8-71
Blower. I'm not looking for an exact number just an idea. An estimate so
to speak. ?
Thanks for any ideas of a power increase.
It's the motor that I posted a video of a while back in the race setion.
Thanks.

GT.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:49 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Some reason not the think it would be 125 - 150 HP?

[I have to assume you're talking about nitrous oxide? "nitros" would be the plural of "nitro", which is slang for nitromethane in the racing world...]

... or has a Pontiac born the same year as Jim Wangers? (1926}
Old 06-21-2017, 07:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a buddy who claimed he got about double the HP with a turbo and EFI, guess it was the temperature drop.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They say if you shoot it with 150 you're going to get 150 extra hp. Every dyno guy I've talked to said the same thing.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:45 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie66 View Post
They say if you shoot it with 150 you're going to get 150 extra hp. Every dyno guy I've talked to said the same thing.
I was fortunate to be able to talk to Mike Thermos many times over the years about NOS and how it worked.
He designed up a Pro Fogger System for me that we used for some F-series Truck testing for the California Air Resources Board.
Basically we had to Coastdown (on a 4.4 mole test track) a F-350 Truck (with a 460 Engine and a E4OD trans that was Pulling a 10,000 2-wheel Trailer. CARB wanted to know how much HP to dial into their Chassis Dynos.

So Mike Thermos (NOS) built me a custom Pro Fogger deal.

One of his comments was if I give you a 150 HP system and you put it on a 302 engine it will add 150 HP to the engine. Same system on a 460 engine = 150 HP.

He also laughed and said you could put the system on a 5 HP Briggs & Stratten engine but no guarantee on how long the 150 HP + 5 HP would stay in the case.

So I agree with Charlie's post (as the NOS Expert (THERMOS) told me exactly the same thing.

That being said, NOS tuners can screw up any calibration so that it makes less hp and a few really good tuners can make a bit more than the rated hp.

If you buy a quality system you should get the rated HP increase.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I was fortunate to be able to talk to Mike Thermos many times over the years about NOS and how it worked.
He designed up a Pro Fogger System for me that we used for some F-series Truck testing for the California Air Resources Board.
Basically we had to Coastdown (on a 4.4 mole test track) a F-350 Truck (with a 460 Engine and a E4OD trans that was Pulling a 10,000 2-wheel Trailer. CARB wanted to know how much HP to dial into their Chassis Dynos.

So Mike Thermos (NOS) built me a custom Pro Fogger deal.

One of his comments was if I give you a 150 HP system and you put it on a 302 engine it will add 150 HP to the engine. Same system on a 460 engine = 150 HP.

He also laughed and said you could put the system on a 5 HP Briggs & Stratten engine but no guarantee on how long the 150 HP + 5 HP would stay in the case.

So I agree with Charlie's post (as the NOS Expert (THERMOS) told me exactly the same thing.

That being said, NOS tuners can screw up any calibration so that it makes less hp and a few really good tuners can make a bit more than the rated hp.

If you buy a quality system you should get the rated HP increase.

Tom V.
I also was told / taught that as long as you have your N/A tune correct with your carburetor you don't have to change anything about it when spraying NOS. You do have to follow instructions on what the manufacturer recommends on the combination of fuel/NOS pills an timing of course . Then its up to you if you want to play with going leaner with the fuel pill..

Old 06-21-2017, 11:39 AM
Suspended

If you have to install Nitrous on your blower engine to make power you doing something wrong with the blower.......maybe in a turbo car but not in a blower car.......specially in a roots blower car!!

GTO George

Old 06-21-2017, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
If you have to install Nitrous on your blower engine to make power you doing something wrong with the blower.......maybe in a turbo car but not in a blower car.......specially in a roots blower car!!

GTO George
This is Not a full blown race car, This is a tame street car 400ci with a 8-71
and only 3 percent over driven pump gas firebird that will cruise down the
road at 65-70 MPH. Just went 11.15 @ 119.28 MPH.
I want something I can put a little spray to and hang with you LMAO.
I don't want to spin the snot out of the blower and have to trailer
every where. Now you no what I'm trying to do with this situation.

GT.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The firebird has got to much gear in it. There is a ton more in this thing.
Going to change from a 3:73 to a 3:23 That alone will put this in the ten second range then a little spray on top of that should get me where I want
to be, If ya follow the way I've drifted. Ha Ha
I've heard from some people that the blower will multiply by the addition of N20. Don't no how true this is but maybe we'll find out in the near future.
I m,ight even go to a 3:08 gear. This is new to me so it might take a little
Time to get it figured out. Thanks for any input I appreciate it.

GT.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would think it might gain more because the nitrous is going to cool the hot air generated by the blower.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How is a 3.73 too much gear in a blower car? I have 3.73 in my 8-71 blown GTO and it seems about perfect...

Old 06-23-2017, 04:13 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueghoast View Post
I've heard from some people that the blower will multiply by the addition of N20. Don't no how true this is but maybe we'll find out in the near future.
Thanks for any input I appreciate it. GT.
Where are you planning on putting in the N2O? Plate? Manifold (Port Injection).

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 06-23-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

anecdotally, I've seen small shots of nitrous on blower engines make more than advertised by a decent margin. This would be specific to the 03/04 Cobra's with the Eaton 112 on top of them. You'd have people running a 75 shot through the system and gaining well over 100 hp to the tires from it.

Those people usually were the ones that were pushing those blowers pretty hard as well. You're talking about larger crank pulleys combined with smaller snout pulleys, spinning them well past the point of efficiency. In that case, the cooling effect of the nitrous on the charge air likely had something to do with that larger than expected increase.

If you're not pushing your 8-71 very hard, I wouldn't think you'd see a larger than advertised increase from the shot of nitrous you're using.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:01 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
anecdotally, I've seen small shots of nitrous on blower engines make more than advertised by a decent margin. This would be specific to the 03/04 Cobra's with the Eaton 112 on top of them. You'd have people running a 75 shot through the system and gaining well over 100 hp to the tires from it.

Those people usually were the ones that were pushing those blowers pretty hard as well. You're talking about larger crank pulleys combined with smaller snout pulleys, spinning them well past the point of efficiency. In that case, the cooling effect of the nitrous on the charge air likely had something to do with that larger than expected increase.

If you're not pushing your 8-71 very hard, I wouldn't think you'd see a larger than advertised increase from the shot of nitrous you're using.
^^Truth^^

Why I asked "Where?"

Putting it in with a plate system Air/Fuel will cool the blower much like Methanol will.

In the Port will cool the charge somewhat but not so much the supercharger and the supercharger will have to depend on Fuel Cooling from the carbs to help on that deal.
How much difference between the two ways? Let the NOS boys answer that deal.

Tom V.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Many years ago I had a street prepped 8-71 on a stock block 455, - iron head, carb'd, ran on gas in a full street trim 2nd gen Firebird. Typically it would run 135-138MPH in a 1/4mile. I drilled a hole in the back of the carb adapter plate and installed an annular Fogger nozzle with a .072" jet, pulled 8deg, and went 145-148MPH typically.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:54 PM
Boost Engineer

Good Info. How is that Whipple working for you these days?

Tom V.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Good Info. How is that Whipple working for you these days?

Tom V.
I like the Whipple Tom. Lb for Lb it's a good deal more efficient than a roots, dependable, and repeatable - no strips to wear out.

I wish they made the same style a little bigger... with more internal compression

Old 06-24-2017, 10:37 PM
Boost Engineer

Might have to talk to Art or Dustin about that deal. Your 5.0L S/C is not "small" though.

Tom V.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Where are you planning on putting in the N2O? Plate? Manifold (Port Injection).

Tom V.
When I bought this blower it was already setup with a fogger plate under
the carbs. It's a nice setup I think they have the jetting way to high.
The jetting is 27 nos 36 fuel. What I've heard about foggers is that it
should be switch around and that's still to much for what I want.
I only want to spray about a 125-150 shot. This is pretty much a stock
motor with only 3 percent overdriven. The car run out of steam around
the 900 ft. mark. It was over 6500 RPM's from there out the back door.
If I can go true the traps at around 5500 I think it would perfect.

GT.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Goat1 View Post
How is a 3.73 too much gear in a blower car? I have 3.73 in my 8-71 blown GTO and it seems about perfect...
What RPM are you turning in the 1/4 mile with yours.
And how healthy is your motor?

GT.