Old 06-20-2017, 06:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Spoiler

Hi everyone. My rear deck lid spoiler arrived yesterday from Ames. Removed it from the box. Holy crap is that thing big. Like an airplane propeller. Wide and long. Almost looks like it's longer then the width of the car. Like it will hang over, but I'm sure it won't. Previously, bought a rattle can of paint for the spoiler. Not sure what I was thinking. That can will never do it. Will probably have to buy a quart can with the mixers. Directions for install seem simple enough. Should be fun, Carmine.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I do a lot with a rattle can, but wouldn't recommend attempting to paint a piece this big or prominent with one. In addition, I would bet it will need a little work to get it nice and flat. Take it to a body shop and pay a professional.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Carmine,
Here is a photo of my rear spoiler installed. It is pretty big( some call them ironing boards).
I would not try to rattle-can paint this piece. Recommend fitting the spoiler first, then painting after drilling the mounting holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
Hi everyone. My rear deck lid spoiler arrived yesterday from Ames. Removed it from the box. Holy crap is that thing big. Like an airplane propeller. Wide and long. Almost looks like it's longer then the width of the car. Like it will hang over, but I'm sure it won't. Previously, bought a rattle can of paint for the spoiler. Not sure what I was thinking. That can will never do it. Will probably have to buy a quart can with the mixers. Directions for install seem simple enough. Should be fun, Carmine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	307u.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	457241   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear birds eye view.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	457242  

Old 06-20-2017, 01:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast GTO View Post
Carmine,
Here is a photo of my rear spoiler installed. It is pretty big( some call them ironing boards).
I would not try to rattle-can paint this piece. Recommend fitting the spoiler first, then painting after drilling the mounting holes.
That's a nice looking car you have there. Triple black. I've never seen one before. Looks great.

No, no rattle can. I agree. Too much area to cover. Going to have to buy a quart of paint plus whatever else is need. I have some etching primer left over and I'll use that also. I'm not sure what this is made from, I'm assuming fiberglass, and it appears to be very straight and flat. Regardless, I'll still block sand it. I also prefer single stage paint and that's what I'll go with, Carmine.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank you.
BTW, my car did not come from the factory with the spoiler and they are heavy. Unfortunately no source that I am aware of reproduces the larger diameter/ size spring to help hold the trunk lid up after spoiler install. Mine does stay up O.K. but just be aware of the extra weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
That's a nice looking car you have there. Triple black. I've never seen one before. Looks great.

No, no rattle can. I agree. Too much area to cover. Going to have to buy a quart of paint plus whatever else is need. I have some etching primer left over and I'll use that also. I'm not sure what this is made from, I'm assuming fiberglass, and it appears to be very straight and flat. Regardless, I'll still block sand it. I also prefer single stage paint and that's what I'll go with, Carmine.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast GTO View Post
Thank you.
BTW, my car did not come from the factory with the spoiler and they are heavy. Unfortunately no source that I am aware of reproduces the larger diameter/ size spring to help hold the trunk lid up after spoiler install. Mine does stay up O.K. but just be aware of the extra weight.
I had been thinking about that; the added weight. Thanks for mentioning it, Carmine.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

But you should be able to change the position of the tension rod to accomodate for the weight of the newly added spoiler.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360Rocket View Post
But you should be able to change the position of the tension rod to accommodate for the weight of the newly added spoiler.
^^This^^

Be sure to get the right locations for the holes - certain things you only get to do once.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4650.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	457307   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4651.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	457308   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4652.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	457309  

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-21-2017, 04:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
^^This^^

Be sure to get the right locations for the holes - certain things you only get to do once.
Thanks and I totally agree. A schematic was sent with the spoiler containing measurements. I don't want to jinx myself, but it looks easy enough. I'm going to lay it out first before any drilling. I want to see underneath where these holes are going to come through. The bolts to secure the spoiler aren't very long. Maybe 5/8th's to 3/4"'s. I would think the holes will come through on the flat part of the underside and not any ribbing or supports, Carmine.

Thanks for those pics. At first I didn't see where the 4 bolts come through, but I do now. The area looks to be fairly flat.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Paint needs to be color matched and of the same "type" as what's on the car, if the car is base/clear then base/clear for the spoiler to get close to matching. That green is not an easy color to match when painting. Fortunately, since it's a spoiler it'll match the rest of the car easier then say if you were trying to do a qtr or a door.