Old 06-15-2017, 05:46 PM

Default 1965 rear end

I have a chance to buy a complete safe-t-track rear end out of a 1965 Bonneville. I have a 1965 Catalina that I want to install it in. Are the Bonneville and Catalina rear ends identical, like width, brakes, yoke, etc.? Are the P/Ns the same? What is a fair price for a complete rear end? What should I look for before buying? Does anyone know the approximate weight and dimensions of this unit.

Thanks

Phil

Old 06-15-2017, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Exact fit so it will change out perfectly. Bolt in and go.

Price will depend on the ratio and the wear factor. You need to establish both before parting out with your money.

Essentially, the lower the ratio, the higher the price and the higher the wear factor (usage and milage etc), the lower the price

Old 06-15-2017, 08:17 PM

It is a 2.93. According to the grandson's story it has basically been parked since 1978. The engine broke a timing chain. It is from a Colorado car. Concerned about internal rust. Would like to keep the assembly intact. Won't have to swap gears and set it up new. I don't know if I should put new bearings and clutches in it. Can sell the old intact and set up too.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It weighs about 300 pounds plus. Value $300 to $600

Old 06-16-2017, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What's the rest of the car like?

Chances are they weren't drag racing it. Rear should be pretty good.

Might be other good parts to go with that car... definitely worth asking.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop Man View Post
What's the rest of the car like?

Chances are they weren't drag racing it. Rear should be pretty good.

Might be other good parts to go with that car... definitely worth asking.
It is a 4 door and pretty heavily optioned. Power windows, power antenna, A/C, Says only option missing is the rear heater/defrost(?). Chrome looks OK. Might grab the headlight bezels, if they aren't too pitted, and the tilt column, power antenna, and trunk light. Will the Bonneville tilt column fit the Catalina. Interior looks trashed, broken windows. He says sheet metal just has surface rust, looks worse than that to me. The guy just wants the engine and trans. He is asking $500 for the complete rear axle, brake drum to brake drum, minus yoke.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The tilt column should bolt right in to your car, the only concern will be if the paint color matches your interior.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Column and everything else is the same. Get all you can! Make sure to get all wires and switch with steering column. Have them leave wheel on even if it is trashed. Plastic cam on back of wheel needed & don't want to risk damage to internal parts. Different from regular column.

Since it has been sitting for so long, I would try to get the rear for less. Often you will get rust on the bearings etc, on the area where they have been exposed for that long. 2.93 is a decent ratio, but nothing really valuable. Without being able to look inside before you buy, it is hard to say on condition. At least it was in a relatively dry climate.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 06-16-2017, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

pull the differential cover on it before you leave out of there with it. Make sure it is not full of water or pitted gears.

$500 for that ratio is a little high, but not out of line if guaranteed to be in good condition with no issues.

Check the tail panel as well

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 06-19-2017, 01:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Heybuck is dead on [as usual] concerning the 65/66 interchange of rear axle assemblies. Made the swap a couple of times.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.