Old 06-01-2017, 04:06 PM

Default Where can i find brake info?

Hey guys,

I want to update my brakes a bit. theyre manual as hell! lol. has anyone converted this over to power brakes? or maybe a booster? or was it an option on my 63 Catalina? trying to see how I can make them better while I wait it out and get the scarebird adapters to put some GTO brakes up front. I wouldnt mind even having disc fronts and rear drums in the future but, for right now; anyone know of any way to convert? or add on to?

Old 06-01-2017, 10:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm in the middle of converting my power drum '61 Star Chief to discs. Power brakes were definitely an option, however they (at least in my '61) used a Moraine booster. It is not quite the same as a Delco Moraine booster used later on. However, so far it looks as though an aftermarket booster, Delco style, 9" diameter will work. The car will then need a two bolt master cylinder instead of the 4 bolt style. This is my plan anyway. I believe something like this will work:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-pb9021/overview/
Check the pedal clevis and rod though, that is the important part. My Moraine booster is mounted directly to the firewall. I do not think brackets are needed as the bolt pattern should line up just fine. Other than that you should need a drum/drum master cylinder instead of the disc/drum one and a tee fitting for the front lines and a coupler for the rear line. This would make it easier to convert in the future as well. Swap master cylinders, put on the disc brake kit and proportioning valve, and either use adapters for the caliper hoses or swap out the front brake lines and that is it.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have PBs on my 62 GP and also had them on a 63Cat and a 63 GP.I have seen way more 61-63 with PBs than with out.tom

Old 06-01-2017, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It should be easy enough to find all the correct power brake parts off a 1963 parts car somewhere. At Tom said, they were common; the information I have says a little over 80% of big Pontiacs came with power brakes in 1963.

I think that the same parts of a 1964 will work as well but can't confirm that. You'll need the booster and master cylinder combination that goes on the firewall. I'm not sure about the brake pedal itself - there will be a different fulcrum point for the pushrod into the back of the booster, but I don't know if both fulcrum points are integral to the same pedal arm, or if you have to get a different pedal arm that is just for power brakes.

Now, if the brakes themselves are in good shape the car should stop just as well with a manual master cylinder as with power...you just have to push harder on the pedal to get the same result.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:01 AM
Senior Chief

I am converting my '64 Bonneville to power disc brakes from manual drums. I bought a Master Power kit as there are no parts cars in Australia and I figured i may as well ship new parts to Australia rather than mucking around with old used parts I'd have to get rebuilt anyway.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Senior Chief

I purchased the Master Power brake kit too. The nice thing about it is it comes with about everything you will need to convert your front drums to disc. My car was already a power brake car though.

My car is still in pieces being restored, but the front brakes are about ready. I had some issues with MP due to some incorrectly machined brackets they sent me, but otherwise they're good to work with. If I had to do it all over again, I'd also convert the rear to disc. I rebuilt/replaced pretty much the entire rear drum system. For what I spent redoing the rears for the original drums, I could have spent it on the Master Power kit to have rear disc too.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Before you go making a conversion, might I suggest that you replace the hoses and wheel cylinders and then FLUSH the fluid?

I am not a manual-brakes street-racer by any means, but a healthy manual brakes system will put you thru the windshield if operating properly.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Make sure that you have the correct material on your brake shoes. I always try to use NOS Delco shoes. The shoes fit 1959-1964 Big American Pontiacs. Too hard of a material will cause excessive pedal effort. Are your shoes properly arced to the drums? Is the hydraulic system in good condition?
I have seen manual brakes work fine in many instances because everything was proper.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you go the parts car route, make sure to take the time to get the pedal & every associated part. They are different, & if for some reason you run into HD brakes on either car (& don't realize it at the time), you are going to want to have all the parts. Even if it is stuff that is too rusty to use or whatever, you will at least have it for reference to complete the swap or rebuild. When converting my '63 to 4 speed, I ran into the issue with different brake pedals. It is just easier if you have everything from the same model car so you know it will work. You may well find some interchange with what you have but...

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 06-06-2017, 12:44 PM

when i first got the car in november, I had replaced all lines, wheel cylinders, pads, drums and brake cylinder. It stops fine and responds when I jam them down but, its deathly frightening for someone thats not used to them and coming from 4 pot race brakes and, always my whole life upgraded brakes to stopping on a dime. I would like to try to get a booster and cylinder first to see if that works out before going all out converting. Does anyone have a lead on possibly some NEW stuff that i can put onto this car? going to a junkyard and rebuilding the brakes is time Id rather spend on other things. lol

Old 06-06-2017, 02:48 PM
Senior Chief

I believe our host carries original-style brake components and you can also try new car parts stores. I purchased my new rear drums and wheel cylinders from RockAuto.com. They should also have the master cylinder, brake booster, etc. you're looking for. You have to be careful what you are looking at (sometimes their parts are wrong), but I've bought parts before for my '64 GP from Autozone and NAPA.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

" Does anyone have a lead on possibly some NEW stuff that i can put onto this car?" -GruntedCatalina

One word: SCAREBIRD ...he's a Forums member; look him up either here or online.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:11 PM

I did this conversion last year on my 62. I went with Scarebird. You get the kit along with a list of over the counter parts needed from your favorite auto parts store. I also upgraded to a dual MC and power booster. I went through MP Brakes for that. I did not care for the plastic MC option from Scarebird. I wanted a more vintage looking metal zinc MC reservoir. Good Luck with the conversion. You'll be glad you did it.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Younker View Post
I did this conversion last year on my 62. I went with Scarebird. You get the kit along with a list of over the counter parts needed from your favorite auto parts store. I also upgraded to a dual MC and power booster. I went through MP Brakes for that. I did not care for the plastic MC option from Scarebird. I wanted a more vintage looking metal zinc MC reservoir. Good Luck with the conversion. You'll be glad you did it.
it comes with a list? now were talking! I wanted to do that scarebird replacement but couldnt really define out what would fit my catalina. would you happen to be able to share that list?

Old 06-09-2017, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

as requested.

Note our sponsor, Ames, sells our stuff but as a whole wheel kit and at a fair rate. You will of course need 15" disc rims to clear.

Mark

ps - note file opens in your download file, not here on PY
Attached Files
File Type: doc CAT ver D 1.doc (238.5 KB, 72 views)

Old 06-09-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
as requested.

Note our sponsor, Ames, sells our stuff but as a whole wheel kit and at a fair rate. You will of course need 15" disc rims to clear.

Mark

ps - note file opens in your download file, not here on PY
this has got to the best write up and info ive ever seen. thanks man! now i can source the parts and have em ready when i get your adapters!

Old 06-09-2017, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you.