Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-02-2017, 12:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTIAC LARRY View Post
My dads old 93 Suburban 1500 2wd with 275,000+ miles pulled of 18 mpg hwy with original stock 350 stuff when I took a trip to Houston a while back..
My 94 burb k1500 gets 17 mpg on the hiway with the icemaker pumping ice chips inside, 230K miles on original engine. Seems it would be tough to get it to run well, but I have never attempted anything like this. Time just doesn't allow it for me.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:10 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailwing View Post
I think you will need some tuning help and perhaps a wideband or self learning computer. I screwed around with a 350 in my Jeep for months... Edelbrock intake, Holley intake, Holley throttle body, 350 throttle body, 455 GM throttle body... the stock computer is stupid and difficult to tune by yourself. Without a dyno, it's difficult to simulate all the load and rpm conditions required to make it run right.
As mentioned before, I already have a Megasquirt 2 Carb-To-EFI kit. These are fully tunable ecu's through the Tunerstudio program. Tunerstudio has the option of "Auto-Tune" like most of the efi kits on the market but I can take advantage of full laptop tuning and logging. I also have an Innovate LC-2 wideband setup that contains a Bosch sensor.

I've pretty much been "garbage picking" my efi setup this year.

-454 TBI for $115 shipped from Craigslist
-'81 distributor from Joe at TTA Performance for $75 (cap/rotor/coil put me at $125)
-Megasquirt 2 Carb-To-EFI DIY kit was about $750 with the wideband (Black Friday Sale at DIYAUTOTUNE).

I'm going to be right about $1500-$2000 for efi with all the extra stuff like the fuel lines, fittings, Spectre efi gas tank and all the extra little parts. Keep in mind, this is for full fuel and timing control using the Rochester 454 TBI and '81 Turbo 301 computer controlled distributor.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone interested in a complete 454tbi setup of my 89 dually pm me, it's about to go to the scrap pile shortly. I hate to do it if someone wants one.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:56 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tuned View Post
Anyone interested in a complete 454tbi setup of my 89 dually pm me, it's about to go to the scrap pile shortly. I hate to do it if someone wants one.
Don't throw it out! I'll take it if no one else wants to buy.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:48 PM
Senior Chief

How much do you want for it ? It might be interesting as heck on my 400 build.

More doors = more love!
Old 05-03-2017, 09:48 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Notyou View Post
How much do you want for it ? It might be interesting as heck on my 400 build.
I inquired about it yesterday but if you or something else wants to buy it, then I will gladly let someone else make the purchase on this one.

Just make sure you know what you're getting into! I don't have mine running yet and I will say it's already not the easiest thing in the world. It will, however, be damn cool to say you built a real GM fuel injection setup on a Poncho.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathonar89 View Post
I inquired about it yesterday but if you or something else wants to buy it, then I will gladly let someone else make the purchase on this one.

Just make sure you know what you're getting into! I don't have mine running yet and I will say it's already not the easiest thing in the world. It will, however, be damn cool to say you built a real GM fuel injection setup on a Poncho.
I currently run a "real GM" fuel injection setup on my Poncho but i went with port injection.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:21 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailwing View Post
I think you will need some tuning help and perhaps a wideband or self learning computer. I screwed around with a 350 in my Jeep for months... Edelbrock intake, Holley intake, Holley throttle body, 350 throttle body, 455 GM throttle body... the stock computer is stupid and difficult to tune by yourself. Without a dyno, it's difficult to simulate all the load and rpm conditions required to make it run right.
X2.

With my money I'd go with a turnkey setup - fitechefi.com

Old 05-04-2017, 02:35 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastry_chef View Post
X2.

With my money I'd go with a turnkey setup - fitechefi.com
Gotta watch out for those right now. This past month I've seen two people online getting burned out ecu's and they say customer service isn't the best...but they are pretty well on top of replacing the ecu quick/free.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:44 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpowerta View Post
I currently run a "real GM" fuel injection setup on my Poncho but i went with port injection.
I meant say it in regards to using the Rochester TBI and '81 distributor. Both are pretty much bolt-on parts from the beginning of the efi era for GM. Unfortunately us Poncho guys never got to see the days of efi...fell just a hair short of TBI/TPI.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:34 PM
Senior Chief

Finally got around to getting my TBI rebuilt from Sean at SPR Performance.

-Throttle bores were bored to 54mm (bigger throttle blades).
-Throttle shaft thinned (more cfm).
-Base bored to match throttle bores and milled.
-Fuel pressure regulator block-off plate installed.
-New AC Delco sensors
-Injectors cleaned
-All hardware replaced with stainless.

Suntuned, this is the one you sent me. Thanks again!

SPR Performance 454 TBI by Jonathon Randolph, on Flickr

SPR Performance 454 TBI by Jonathon Randolph, on Flickr

454 base bored out by Jonathon Randolph, on Flickr

Old 08-28-2017, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fine looking work there.

It did not look like that when it left here.

You'll be happily motoring before long.