Old 04-24-2017, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
I never gave it much thought, but I didn't think VIN tag swaps was really happening. Guess it might be because here in NY, the removal of the VIN tag can be a felony, as it should be. I can't imagine the deceit involved when an unsuspecting buyer purchases a vehicle purportedly the real deal, for which he paid top dollar. It has always amazed me at what extent some will go to for a profit. Sad, Carmine.
It happens A LOT!! On a Judge sold like this, it's highly possible since they bring some coin in recent years. I hope someone is keeping track of the VIN because in most cases like this, they tend to show back up in 5 years with a retamped drivetrain and sold as "numbers matching"

It's a HUGE problem in the Z/28 world. Especially 69's. There are literally hundreds of them for sale that are cloned, repop tags, stamped vins, and even reproduction paperwork that people try to give a "weathered" look to it, all being sold as "original or real" and asking big dollars. Plenty of them for sale like this with big name large volume classic car dealers. There isn't even one 69 Z28 on ebay right now that is real. Checking several of them in the database they started life as base model 307 cars. Thankfully we have a Camaro research group that tracks all these vins, keeps a registry with documentation to weed out the fakes from the real ones. Buyers must do their homework!