Old 04-23-2017, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default How many changes needed to be considered a clone?

In this case, a hood is all it took.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sg...096501920.html

1968 pontiac Gto - $24500 (Lacrescenta)

I restord this 1968 Pontiac Tempest to a GTO clone, completely restored, repainted, new crate motor, turbo 500 transmission, rebuilt rear end, shift kit, all global West suspension,AC, runs and drives excellent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00e0e_ThgA0olf0d_1200x900.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	452738  

Old 04-23-2017, 08:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nice looking car...I would label it as a Tempest with a GTO hood. The ads title says 1968 Pontiac GTO, and a GTO it isn't. Anyway, looks like a cool car.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Endura delete was available in 68 so you can't nail him for leaving the beak.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 04-23-2017, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"...new crate motor..."

Probably a sbc motor. Not likely a Pontiac.

No telling what brand the "Turbo 500" is. Maybe the shift kit changed the TH400 to a TH500. Could be a Buick or Olds, with an adapter plate. But, it's probably Chevy, so it would bolt directly to the sbc crate motor, without an adapter.

"...rebuilt rear end..."

Wonder what exactly this rebuild included. I doubt it was a good posi unit with decent gears.

I'm not against clones at all. In fact, I like the idea. If you want a driver, a good clone makes more sense than driving around in a very valuable "real" GTO.

Nowadays, it's about the only way a low-buck guy can hope to own a real NICE car that looks like a GTO. Most can't plunk down $20k + cash, for anything. But, some can afford a Tempest or Lemans project, which they can gradually mod into a GTO clone. No, it won't be GTO. But, it will LOOK like a GTO, to most, can easily be built with more power, and will be lots of fun to drive.

I think most agree that the main thing wrong with a clone is somebody trying to pass it off as the real thing, especially if doing so to make a profit.

There are probably several guys on this forum who could build a GTO clone which, for most, would require the VIN to tell it wasn't a real one.

That brings up the re-body. How would you tell if a car with a GTO VIN is a re-body or the real thing. And, EXACTLY how much of the original body is required, in order to still be a real "restored" GTO.

Last edited by ponyakr; 04-23-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice Lemans with "bolt ons" is what I'd call it.

Being a purist myself, to be considered a "clone" it would have to be done to a very nice standard, GTO drivetrain and all, correct in detail, to mimic the real thing. Otherwise to me, it's not a clone, it's a "hot rod"

The term clone (like everything else today) gets tossed around so much it's lost it's real meaning.

Neat car none the less, although I'd never pay that kind of coin for a Lemans. A "clone" brings the most money when done correctly.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not a bad looking ride, for about half the asking price.