Old 04-21-2017, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 68 Vent window disassembly

Anybody ever take a vent window completely apart? Want to have them re-chromed & other the the two screws that are on the metal bracket (that secures the window to the door when installed) I can't see how its all held together. The channels strips are in really nice shape, but are fairly hard. I am pretty sure I am going to wreck them if those are hiding more screws.

I can post some pictures if that would help.

Thanks!

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 04-21-2017, 10:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I haven't done a 68 vent window yet but I have done several 50s and early 60s styles. If the 68 is anything like the older styles then you are going to have to remove the channels to find more screws, rivets and/or tabs.

If this is for your 68 convertible.....remember the frame is the piece unique to a convertible....the hardtop frames are slightly different. All the other parts are the same though...

Old 04-22-2017, 06:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, they are for my 68. I haven't researched the seals yet, but I thought the channels were not being reproduced, Or that they were not being reproduced very accurately? All of these seals are in great shape, just that the channels are stiff as heck & I can't see a way to get them out without wrecking them No doubt to have them chromed, they have to come apart anyway, but I don't see a way to remove the seals & I was hoping if somebody has done this, they can tell me some tricks, if there are any any.

I circled the only exposed fasteners in this picture.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8294.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	452643  

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 04-22-2017, 11:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You have to drill out the two rivets directly across from those two screws you have circled. Then there is one more screw at the top of the long vertical channel.

The window channel felt/rubber strip that I got from Ames is pretty nice. It's a one piece design where the originals had an upper and lower piece. The replacement is better. The lower portion is visually different but that parts is buried in the door so it isn't visible when the door is assembled.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited by PurelyGTO68; 04-22-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Photo of vertical channel replacement seal...

Last edited by PurelyGTO68; 04-22-2017 at 11:49 AM. Reason: This is a hardtop vent window but just showing it for discussion purposes...
Old 04-22-2017, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Turned out to be pretty easy. There was a hidden screw in the upper corner. So three screws & it was apart. The biggest thing is I didn't want to wreck the seals, which I fortunately did not. The stainless parts are in perfect shape, so I just need to send out the leading edge for new chrome.

So now the big question, do I re-use the old seals or go new? I will probably order a new set & see how they look. The seals on the windows are in really nice shape. Still soft & not cracked, but the channel runs are stiff like a brick. Good shape though & no cracks. still have all the fuzzies on them.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ventwindow.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	452666  

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 04-22-2017, 01:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good news. Glad you got it figured out. Looks like there isn't any reason to drill out the rivets like I was thinking. I always replace the rubbers when I have it this far apart but out here in AZ the idea of originals being in good usable shape is a fantasy. Normally the rubber seals are so brittle they almost fall out by themselves.

If your seals are still nice and soft then it might make sense to reuse them.... Especially since you now know how to take it apart so quickly.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the help with this though. You got me moving with it

One thing that is shot, is that little piece where the top hidden screw was. It sits on the very top above the two run channels. It looks like the replacement is one long channel with the end piece attached to it. Basically what you have in your photos. So, I would either need to replace those, or cut the ends off, which probably would not make too much sense.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA