Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-19-2017, 03:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Stupid question.

I can't smell it but my wife swears to god that the inside of the house smells like gas whenever I have my car parked in the garage. I don't run the car in the garage with the doors shut obviously and I don't let it idle but long enough to back out when I do start it in the garage. Anyone else have this problem? The only way my tank is vented is thru the cap and I admit it does give off that hot rod smell after it's been driving a while but she swears she can smell it all the time when the cars in the garage.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:20 AM
Senior Chief

I did. Found out I had a leak on the outlet tube on the tank. Replaced the float/sender in the tank. Problem solved.

'69 Firebird 400 - Goldenrod Yellow, 455 +.060, '6s-7' heads, Comp Cam 276AH-10 (51-309-4), TH400, Ford 9-inch w/3.08, 800cfm Q-jet, Stock Intake, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters
'68 Coronet 500 Convertible - Medium Gold Metallic, stock 318 +100,000 miles
Old 04-19-2017, 06:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can spray one shot of Rustoleum in my garage on a screw or something and my wife swears her head is about to explode from the fumes....yet she can use pure acetone 12 inches from her nose to remove her fingernail polish and no problem...

Old 04-19-2017, 07:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Believe Her and go find the issue!
Place a tarp over the car in the garage for a few hours and then go sniff under it , does it smell like fuel to you then when it had not been diluted so much?

Us older men from working on cars for decades loose sensitivity for common smells , Women who are not exposed to it as much pick out sents/ smells right off the bat!

Lol! x2 with the Actone , but that goes hand in hand with what I just posted about getting use to odors we are exposed to a lot!

Old 04-19-2017, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I can spray one shot of Rustoleum in my garage on a screw or something and my wife swears her head is about to explode from the fumes....yet she can use pure acetone 12 inches from her nose to remove her fingernail polish and no problem...
LOL

Old 04-19-2017, 10:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What is the condition of your fuel lines? How old are they? Cracking? If yes you got 10 feet of potential leaks. 20 feet if you have a return line.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And with an old carbureted car there is always some evaporation from the carbs. And if you have trips it is three times as bad. But if there is evaporation fast enough to really be a problem there should be some evidence of a leak around a hose fitting or bad compression fitting.

Or you could just keep an open can of acetone in the garage. That doesn't seem to be a problem.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Many women wont express how much they hate classic car projects. It takes time away from around the house, honey due projects. And more important, interferes with there version of quality time.
My version is spending 6 hours in the garage, restoring a small part that know one will ever see.

Sounds like its time to fix that fuel delivery problem.
On modern cars, all the vapor is more efficiently captured, contained, then purged/burned when driving down the road. So like old people, the old car will have a distinctive old car smell.

JMO.

---

Last edited by Blued and Painted; 04-19-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't forget that when "hot-rodders" rip out metal fuel tubing then reinstall synthetic rubber hose, the hose is permeable--gas vapors escape right through the rubber. No leak of liquid fuel, no trail of moisture or disturbed dirt. Just stink.

There's nothing you can do about it except rip out that stupid rubber-based hose, and reinstall metal tubing or perhaps PTFE (Teflon) liner hose. As always, using hose where metal or hard-plastic fuel-rated tubing can be used is very silly. Hose should be kept to a minimum.

So far as I'm aware, the fuel hose sold as "barrier" hose reduces but does not eliminate the stench problem.

Another issue is hydrocarbon emissions from the exhaust--typically from misfire more than a slightly-rich mixture. The hydrocarbon trail follows the vehicle into the garage, and then slowly escapes from the exhaust system after shutdown. Fix the misfire. Adding a catalyst or two could help with the stink, but creates other problems.

There is the fuel evaporating from the float bowl(s), but that's been discussed in previous posts. Who wants to install a charcoal canister on their "hot rod"?

Last edited by Schurkey; 04-19-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=Schurkey;5727650]
. As always, using hose where metal or hard-plastic fuel-rated tubing can be used is very silly. Hose should be kept to a minimum.

QUOTE]

Correct, and too much of it won't get you passed tech at the track either.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
Another issue is hydrocarbon emissions from the exhaust--typically from misfire more than a slightly-rich mixture. The hydrocarbon trail follows the vehicle into the garage, and then slowly escapes from the exhaust system after shutdown. Fix the misfire. Adding a catalyst or two could help with the stink, but creates other problems.

There is the fuel evaporating from the float bowl(s), but that's been discussed in previous posts. Who wants to install a charcoal canister on their "hot rod"?
Hydrocarbon emissions also increases with increased timing. Vacuum advance is one such device. When going through the sniffer with my 70 Formula in California, they installed a sticker on the inner fender that the vacuum advance must be disconnected at all times. When plugged in the hydrocarbons were passed the limit.

Nothing wrong with charcoal cannisters. I have 2 hotrods here that are factory equipped with it. GM used them in 70 on anything built for sale in California, and all GM got them by 1971. They don't affect the performance of the vehicle at all. It's just a less smelly way of venting the gas tank. Other than a couple extra vacuum lines you don't even see it as the tank is hidden up behind the headlights under the core support. No big deal really.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
OMG Greg, I thought I was the only one.
I can drive (well, not since the wreck ....) a bit in the GTO and put it back up in the basement. Glenda then comes home and parks her car in the basement. "You've been for a ride? Your car stinks" I can spray some WD40 in the basement with both garage doors up, the ceiling fan running wide open and the walk door open and she says "You're going to asphyxiate yourself". I can walk into the back bathroom, where she's been using nail polish remover with the window and door closed and the fart fan off, and she's like "what are you talking about?"

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
OMG Greg, I thought I was the only one.
I can drive (well, not since the wreck ....) a bit in the GTO and put it back up in the basement. Glenda then comes home and parks her car in the basement. "You've been for a ride? Your car stinks" I can spray some WD40 in the basement with both garage doors up, the ceiling fan running wide open and the walk door open and she says "You're going to asphyxiate yourself". I can walk into the back bathroom, where she's been using nail polish remover with the window and door closed and the fart fan off, and she's like "what are you talking about?"
Yup.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nope, not a stupid question. Those of us who are married know; most wives make a bloodhound look like he has major sinus blockage. I'm forever tracking down odors that I can't smell around the house (not just garage..I have to change clothes when I come in from there). And FormulaJones and Shurkey are right, I've started a project to replace rubber and other hose with metal lines....safer and passes tech inspection (at the track and by my wife!).

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 04-19-2017, 10:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Same here. Can tell if I've been for a drive the second she walks in. Can tell if I or the kids have been in the garage for 10 seconds.

When I use bleach to clean up the floors in the garage? No problem can't even smell it.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I'm over here just laughing out loud, way too funny!

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't even get me started on 'those people' (women) and their oddities.
We do love 'em though don't we?...lol

Old 04-20-2017, 07:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
We must be married to the same woman! Smh

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
‘66 Lemans, 455, KRE D-Ports, TH350, 12 bolt 3.90 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears (Traded)
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 04-20-2017, 10:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
My wife has a nose like a beagle. I have heard about my stinky car for years. Last night we a sitting on the couch in the living room no windows open A/C on and she tells me Some body is outside smoking a cig. My house sits 20 yrds from the road and has woods behind it. WTF!!!!
I look and sure enough there is someone walking smoking a cig.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
And then there is those stinky candles they like. Other night my wife said "I tossed a sack of garbage in the garage. I thought it was stinking but now I think it was the candle". SO then I had a sack of stinky garbage in the garage that she couldn't take on out to the can.