Old 02-20-2017, 11:50 AM

Default '63 Bonneville AC blower removal -help

The Pontiac chassis manual doesn't show the AC Blower motor only the standard
Easy to get to motor! I don't have the fisher manual . Can anyone post or send me a diagram before I tear into this ?
Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated .

Old 02-20-2017, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajagold70 View Post
The Pontiac chassis manual doesn't show the AC Blower motor only the standard
Easy to get to motor! I don't have the fisher manual . Can anyone post or send me a diagram before I tear into this ?
Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated .
I don't know too much about '63 Pontiac's - '65 & '66 are my interest but I imagine the A/C set up is very similar.

First up, if you can, try and buy the supplement manual (if there is one) for the A/C in your car.

For my '66, to pull the A/C motor, you have to loosen the right hand fender at the bottom, jack it out 6" with a block of wood and the motor is easily accessible. Sounds harder than it is but it's not really. The PITA is having to remove the lower garnish but even that is not difficult.

Good luck with it.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:20 PM
Senior Chief

are you sure it is the motor. does it run on any speed? just a guess it might be the resistor assy that is easy to get to.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:23 PM

Pretty sure it's the motor. My Dad was driving it at the time .
The motor began to squeal and smoke rolled out under the dash !
I made an eBay purchase of the A/C shop manual .
Any experience appreciated.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't have a 63 manual but I think it should be about like a 61 as 61-64 are very similar. Shouldn't be the tucked in the fender version that Heybuck mentioned. I would suspect that the blower motor is right out in the open above the passenger side valve cover. Pull the wire and remove 5 or 6 screws and it should drop out in your lap (or on the valve cover).

Old 02-21-2017, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thought about it a little more. Do you have the factory installed A/C or the dealer installed under the dash unit? The under the dash unit has the blower located just to the right of the clove box out of sight. Will probably require removing 5 or 6 screws while laying on your back like a contortionist to remove the motor and the duct before you can get to the motor. Wear eye protection as all that fiberglass insulation the factory put in is probably laying loose on top of the A/C duct.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It is not bad once you get into it. Much simpler than the '65-'66. I did it 2 times. A couple of the screws are hard to access, but not hard to figure out. Sorry not more help, but it has been a few years. I think I had to take the box off the firewall at least part of the way to angle to get to one screw? Still easier than cutting through or removing inner fender as on later models.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress