Old 01-27-2017, 08:23 PM

Default 71 Post car Rear interior panels

I know p[ost car interior panels are different than regular interior panels. But no one makes them.

What is the difference, are they just shorter? and notched for the post? if so i have no problem doing modifications but i want to know before i try and order some.

Thanks for the help
Sam.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 2 door Coupe (Post) upholstered rear side panels extend all the way to the floor. Most '68-72 2 door Coupe panels used a bolt on armrest, same as used on a '68 Pontiac GTO hardtop.

'69-72 Pontiac A body 2 door hardtops had the large plastic panel on each side, which besides being a close out panel, contained an ashtray. The '69-72 Pontiac 2 door hardtops used a shorter panel. The '69-72 Pontiac 2 door hardtop also used a narrower rear seat. Went through all of this with my '71 HO Coupe, as prev ignorant owner had changed car over to heavy buckets & hardtop width rear seats, mainly did this, as he used repro '72 Malibu seatcovers. Thankfully, neither the original rear side panels or door panels were altered, all 4 pieces actually look like Day 1. I credit that to them being black, & the car has been garaged for the last 35 years.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:45 PM

interesting.

my interior is out but i have the original real bench springs so i should be ok with the width. I just don't have the panels. Do you or anyone have any reference pictures at least? hard to find info.

thanks for the good start!

Old 01-27-2017, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Will try & get some pics, car is currently in back of warehouse, but coming home, hopefully, first of next week. Have been finishing up cleaning out one side of the garage, just so it can come home. I may as well have a boxed up loose pair of rear panels out of a '72 LeMans Coupe that can get good pics of. the dielectrically pleated pattern is the same as '71 T-37. Know I kept the door panels out of a blue interior '72 Coupe, as have a '72 LeMans Coupe as well.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:46 PM

Excellent thank you!

i guess main question is, can i use normal non post trim parts. I'm not going for factory original since im already using buckets from a 68

but want to know if i order repop coupe rear trim panels that i could use them with my rear sat still

Old 01-27-2017, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unfortunately, the '71 T-37 & '72 base LeMans door panels & rear side panels are not reproduced by Legendary or PUI, Distinctive, etc.. SMS can make them up, but from what has been relayed, very very expensive. What color interior does your T-37 have?

The 71 T-37 panels incorporate a series of horizontal lines & a piece of stainles trim. as doorpanels, thy are very simple in looks compared to the more frilly panels used in '71 GTO's/ LeMans Sports & '72 hardtops with the LeMans Sport interior. '68 GTO hardtop rear side panels will extend all the way to the floor, but the upholstery pattern is not the same, & there may be a difference where the panel rolls over next to the front framing of the rear 1/4 window. I haven't compared the tops of the rear panels, like i have the differences in the front door panels between T-37 2 door hardtop & T-37 Coupe.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just gotta remember that T-37 post cars do not have arm rests in the back. Or at least mine does not.

Not sure about LeMans and you did not specifiy which you were asking about.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

every 70-72 pontiac post car i have ever seen has the wide seat...

I parted a 71 lemans post car and it has the wide rear seat..a 72 lemans post car too..had the wide seat..

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 02-01-2017, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
The 2 door Coupe (Post) upholstered rear side panels extend all the way to the floor. Most '68-72 2 door Coupe panels used a bolt on armrest, same as used on a '68 Pontiac GTO hardtop.

'69-72 Pontiac A body 2 door hardtops had the large plastic panel on each side, which besides being a close out panel, contained an ashtray. The '69-72 Pontiac 2 door hardtops used a shorter panel. The '69-72 Pontiac 2 door hardtop also used a narrower rear seat. Went through all of this with my '71 HO Coupe, as prev ignorant owner had changed car over to heavy buckets & hardtop width rear seats, mainly did this, as he used repro '72 Malibu seatcovers. Thankfully, neither the original rear side panels or door panels were altered, all 4 pieces actually look like Day 1. I credit that to them being black, & the car has been garaged for the last 35 years.
You are right except it was in 70 not 69 that hardtop coupes got the large armrests. 68 and 69's both use the plastic small bolt on armrests while 70 plus use a large armrest similar to the convertible ones. The reason for this change was the addition of a floor to inner quarter panel stiffening brace in 70. Not sure if it was a safety or ride improvement reinforcement, maybe both?

1969 LeMans (2dr & 4dr ht & Cvt)
1969 LeMans Safari wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 ht & Judge ht)
1969 Cat (3 Cvt’s & 2dr ht)
1969 Ventura wagon 2 seat
1969 Exec 4dr post
1969 Bonnie Cvt & 2 wagons
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr ht & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix 2 SJ’s
1969 2+2 2dr ht (Canadian)
Old 02-01-2017, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John, thanks for keeping me on my toes, it's been quite a few years since had my last '69 project Judge. Know exactly the brace on each side your speaking of, as years ago, I removed an entire perfect floor pan out of a manual trans LeMans GT, & sliced one hand on the the remnant of the drivers side diagonal brace.

Thinking back, didn't the higher trim level Skylarks & Cutlasses get the large side panels & narrower rear seats in '69? Have hauled in & processed so many '68-72 2 door A-body's, things become a blurr, esp with the yardcars that had been picked some before I managed to buy them.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:33 AM

My Post car has the armrests and ashtray like 'ol Pinion head stated. I don't have any decent photos of the panels but I can get some in the next couple of days for you as well. Since I've only owned the car just under a year, I am not sure they are all original. I guess others here in the "know" would be able to comment on that. My guess is that it is original.

Tyler

1971 Lemans Post
Old 02-03-2017, 01:38 PM

Hope this helps.....

1971 Lemans Post
Old 02-03-2017, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Makes sense that the 70-72 post coupe would keep the full panel and bolt on armrest since the hardtops switched to the full armrest to clear the floor brace which wasn't needed in post coupes since they were naturally more rigid because the roof and quarter were tied together at the door jam by the post.

1969 LeMans (2dr & 4dr ht & Cvt)
1969 LeMans Safari wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 ht & Judge ht)
1969 Cat (3 Cvt’s & 2dr ht)
1969 Ventura wagon 2 seat
1969 Exec 4dr post
1969 Bonnie Cvt & 2 wagons
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr ht & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix 2 SJ’s
1969 2+2 2dr ht (Canadian)