Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-24-2016, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Crower 68404 springs will install with stock retainers and allow lifts up to around .540" (double check me on that). Of course, if you swap everything from the 62s then no worries.

I would run a modern cam profile with a tighter lobe separation than the 068. The 068 is pretty mild and is really designed for high compression engines. It works well in 455s with low compression but it will have a soggy bottom in a 400.

I like Squidward's rec. for the Lunati. Also, the Summit 2801 would be a good budget choice.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:05 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS57 View Post
Now that I have the heads, where to go from here. I can have them rebuilt at a local place, Eddies Valve Grinding. They do crate engines for several makes including Pontiacs so admittedly not the last word in a set of 6X-s. But they have been around for a long time. I'll probably hack off about .020".

Then a cam change to go with the new heads, right now I have a CC Mag 280 but going to a milder cam. The 280 is a good match to the 62's and the higher compression; it runs like nuts up in the higher RPM range. But we want the car to be more of a cruiser with the addition of AC soon. So thinking about a XE 262 or maybe the venerable 068. But what about a 744? Any stock engines out there with an automatic / AC and a 744?
hey man.. i personally have used eddie valve grinding and felt they were fair cost wise and did really nice work. here are some pics of my #16's i had them do.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77poncho View Post
hey man.. i personally have used eddie valve grinding and felt they were fair cost wise and did really nice work. here are some pics of my #16's i had them do.
That's good to know, thanks! Heads look nice.

OK, a more modern cam sounds like the way to go.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Crower 68404 springs will install with stock retainers and allow lifts up to around .540" (double check me on that). Of course, if you swap everything from the 62s then no worries.

I would run a modern cam profile with a tighter lobe separation than the 068. The 068 is pretty mild and is really designed for high compression engines. It works well in 455s with low compression but it will have a soggy bottom in a 400.

I like Squidward's rec. for the Lunati. Also, the Summit 2801 would be a good budget choice.
I'm running the Summit 2802 in my 428 with 6x4's and am happy with it. The power brakes and vacuum operated AC controls work good with it.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

how many valve reliefs do your pistons have?

When a cat is dropped it always lands on its feet. When buttered toast is dropped it always lands with the buttered side facing down. If a piece of buttered toast was attached to the back of a cat, when dropped, the cat/buttered toast combination should hover, spinning just above the ground, as it tries unsuccessfully to resolve the inevitable conflict of non-scientific certainties.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheimer View Post
how many valve reliefs do your pistons have?
4, they are TRW 2262's.

65 Tempest, 400, TH400
86 Fiero SE 2.8
Old 11-27-2016, 02:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

thanks. i was going to lurk if they were the same as my detonation prone 8s.

When a cat is dropped it always lands on its feet. When buttered toast is dropped it always lands with the buttered side facing down. If a piece of buttered toast was attached to the back of a cat, when dropped, the cat/buttered toast combination should hover, spinning just above the ground, as it tries unsuccessfully to resolve the inevitable conflict of non-scientific certainties.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:03 PM
Senior Chief

Why not use a set of Rhoads lifters ? It will keep things mild until you stomp on it, then they bring the cam to its potential.

More doors = more love!
Old 12-05-2016, 12:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Notyou View Post
Why not use a set of Rhoads lifters ? It will keep things mild until you stomp on it, then they bring the cam to its potential.
I was thinking Rhodes might be an option but not sure about the noise level. I do have Crane's version- High Intensity that date to around 87, they are NOS but haven't read much about how well they perform. It would save me the hassle of ripping the front of the engine off. Never considered using them with the 62's as I am sure denotation would be worse.

65 Tempest, 400, TH400
86 Fiero SE 2.8