Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 11-05-2016, 09:07 AM

Default steer me in the right direction

Found a 93 jgc box with only 37,000 mi on it so I decided to go for the swap. I have read several threads on this but still have several questions. The car is a 1967 GTO.

1] Is the Lares #200 and /or Dorman 31011 the correct rag joint for a 67?

2] Are the inverted flare adapters the same size on pressure and return ?
I noticed the Lee adapters [no longer available] had two different part #s.
The Borgeson kit #925122 has 3 adapters, two look similar in size and one is much smaller. Why 3? and which one goes where?
Speedway is only showing one adapter?

3] Is it Necessary to change pressure valve in p/s pump? [Some say yes, some say no.] If so, is there a later year pump that will bolt up to my 67 bracket, and pulley that has the correct pressure valve? My pump has a small leak, so if I can buy 1 pump instead of 2 just to get a pressure valve I would prefer that

4] Will this affect my alignment? If so does anybody have the specs for a 67gto? Does going from 14" to 15" make a difference in alignment specs? I'm running 215/70R 15

Any tips/suggestions are much appreciated. I have arthritis in my hands/wrists so I only want to do this ONCE

Old 11-05-2016, 09:06 PM

I am not sure about the rag joint on your car but on my 1973 Firebird I used the stock rag joint.
The adaptors are two different sizes. You can tell which one goes where by looking at them. The big one will not fit in the small hole and the small adaptor will be loose in the big hole.
I did not need to change my pressure valve. But, you can get the pressure regulator from the JGC pump and see if it works better. You can also change the pressure of your stock regulator by changing the number of shims that are under the little nut. More shims makes less pressure.
Because of production tolerances it may have a small effect on your alignment.
going from 14" to 15" will not change your alignment specs. I personally do not use the stock specs, I run more castor for better steering feel and a little more negative camber for better handling. I set toe to 1/16" in.
This steering box swap is a very straight forward swap.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is a link with some follow-up info about increasing pump pressure (thanks Jim Shea!). http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...s-09OC2013.pdf

Old 11-06-2016, 07:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought the borgenson kit and it did not work. I do not know for sure but if you got the return line with the pump it might work as it just uses regular spring or screw clamps to hold it on. that is probably why speedway is only showing one. Yes they are 2 different sizes. Use the rag joint on a 79 firebird/camaro from NPD. They were cheaper than local parts store. The chev truck joint cost a lot more. I have a detroit speed pump and braided hoses so I had a local hudrallic shop put an end on it. My car drives soooo much better!

Old 11-07-2016, 09:03 AM

Default adapters

Where can I get both adapters? Return line was cut and crimped from junkyard

Old 11-07-2016, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What I did was get a repair kit from NAPA...consists of a tube with the o-ring-metric fitting, cut off the flared end of the hi pressure hose and use a tube coupling to joint he two together. Also need the threaded fitting IIRC.

The return side uses just the repair kit tube, hose and a hose clamp.

George Kujanski

Old 11-07-2016, 04:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

earls carry the parts you need 961955 erl and 961965erl. cost about 11 bucks apiece.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have my parts still sitting in the garage. Never got it installed yet.

I got the Dorman 31011. From what I remember the Lars part is exactly the same. A factory GM adapter is a little different but the replacement will work fine.

I also have the Borgeson adapter kit too. I have not tried to fit the adapters. I read in the archives all you really need is the one for the pressure side. All you need for the return is a factory line stub.

I got a pressure valve from a chevy truck out of the junkyard. I read several post about 900 psi stock pressure verses 1400 psi pressure. It's really based on if you need it. some don't and some do.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:19 AM

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.
George do you have part # for repair kit? I'll go that route if I have to, but I'd rather just use adapters.
Connman do you have a link for Earls? Never heard of them

Old 11-08-2016, 07:35 PM
Senior Chief

When I installed the jgc unit in my '62 Catalina with a '76 455, I used a new pressure hose for the jgc and cut off the fitting at the pump. I went to NAPA and bought a new "U" shaped fitting that screwed into the pump...they installed the fitting for nothing. The hose now screws into the pump with the new fitting and into th gear with the new hose. NO ADAPTERS NEEDED. I indexed the hose and fitting in the car before I had them crimp the fitting on. I had to cut the old hose as close as possible to the old fitting to make sure it reached. Worked out really nice. Don't know if it would work for your setup but you may want to check it out.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:07 PM

Default UPDATE

Installed jgc box on Saturday. I got the adapters and rag joint from lee power steering which is now called Steering Technology Group. they can be contacted at Steertechgrp.com or you can call (818) 768-0371. I talked to Steve, he was very knowledgeable, knew what I needed, so I gave him my business. With the help of a friend (thanks Ted) we accomplished the task in about 3 hrs and 2 beers. The steering is much more responsive and is about 2.75 lock to lock. The only issue is the same one 64speed is having. The car does not return to center like it should. I've talked to some techs, and they've said more positive castor may correct it. Others have said replacing lower ball joints will correct it. Any one else had this problem? If so, how did you correct it?

Old 11-16-2016, 02:35 PM

If the adjustments on the steering box are not so tight that it won't return to center adding more caster will make it return to center. Adding caster also increases steering effort.