Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 10-23-2016, 02:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Front end bushing kits

I am getting almost done on my recent car upgrades and the mechanic gave me a look at the bushings in the Lemans front end which are really bad. What bushing kits do you guys recommend for a total front set not including sway bar as I have those in good shape. I know Moog makes one and there are several others but just want to know some firsthand experience with these. Thanks

Old 10-23-2016, 04:52 AM
Senior Chief

If you want poly I'd say go with PST It's been many years but I've used a couple of their kits and liked them.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That's what I got last time but I went with rubber and they are in really bad shape. I plan on going poly as a buddy told me they don't squeak the way they used to.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:19 AM

Hi! There are 2 types of poly bushings available. I use the polygraphite type which are self lubricating but i grease lube on install. Regular poly bushings require you to add grease regularly.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Any real difference in performance of the two or longevity? What brand do you run?

Old 10-23-2016, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I suggest getting the Moog rubber control arm bushings. They'll last for decades.

Control arm bushings are designed to twist. Rubber can do that. Poly is no good for that, since it can't twist like rubber. Instead they wallow out and get loose. They will eventually squeak, and can't be effectively be lubed after they're installed. So, they actually don't last very long.

Even polygraphite isn't good. It sounds good, but it's really weaker poly than plain poly, since they take poly and put graphite in it, which weakens the mix.

Poly's okay for non-moving parts like body mounts or to replace rubber bumpers, but not for twisting applications.

So, I suggest not wasting your time and money on poly for your control arms, and just get the Moogs and it'll be like a new car, and last a long time.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I did the whole front end with a PST rubber set and they have rotted out really badly. It has been 10 years and the car sat for about 6 or 7 years so I don't know if that is worse or if driving it would have been harder on them. I would like to get good performance out of the car but it isn't doing any road racing or hard driving on twisty roads very often. Are the rubber ones greasable? Thanks for all the help with this guys.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:44 AM

If you are not going to do any serious driving I would stick with the rubber bushings. My 1973 Firebird turns 0.95 g and I have rubber bushings in the lower arms. The upper arms are SPC arms. The rubber bushings won't transmit the road imperfections as much as urethane.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand73Am View Post
I suggest getting the Moog rubber control arm bushings. They'll last for decades.

Control arm bushings are designed to twist. Rubber can do that. Poly is no good for that, since it can't twist like rubber. Instead they wallow out and get loose. They will eventually squeak, and can't be effectively be lubed after they're installed. So, they actually don't last very long.

Even polygraphite isn't good. It sounds good, but it's really weaker poly than plain poly, since they take poly and put graphite in it, which weakens the mix.

Poly's okay for non-moving parts like body mounts or to replace rubber bumpers, but not for twisting applications.

So, I suggest not wasting your time and money on poly for your control arms, and just get the Moogs and it'll be like a new car, and last a long time.
X2.
I had polyurethane bushings I installed on my '74 Cutlass about 10 years ago, and they got hard, then they come apart, leaving metal to metal contact. I reinstalled Moog bushings. Fortunately, I left the rubber ones on my Pontiac, or I would likely have had to redo them as well.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine has the energy suspension "red" polyurethane bushings and it rides like an ocean cart. Stick to moon rubber unless you're gonna autocross

Old 11-01-2016, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would look at the Delrin front control arm bushings.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/streetgrip/

Old 11-01-2016, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand73Am View Post

x3 on this... i used the poly graphite on 2 of my 2nd gen cars & they both squeek after a short time, like 2-3 years of low mile driving, maybe 1000 miles per year. & i over greased them with the correct supplied heavy silicone grease. i never had them come apart or make metal to metal contact, but cant stand the noise. will be replacing them with rubber asap!

they do stiffen up the suspension a bit, but at the cost of noise & adding to already bad rattles in the interior etc.

go with moog rubber for twisting parts like a-arms or rear leafs etc. or if you want/need race type bushings look into the del-a-lum or others.