Old 09-27-2016, 05:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Hazards come on but wont flash, signals work

Need some help here before I loose what hair I have left.

Replaced the whole cars wiring with American autowire and have all lights working (except hazards) after finding out the signal switch was bad.

After replacing the signal switch I got the signals working but now the hazards will come on but not flash?? Tried replacing flasher but same deal.

I also have an issue with the dome light not coming on with the headlight switch but comes on with the door switch. Dont think the 2 are related but not sure.

Only thing I can think of is the new signal switch is bad.

Any help would be much appreciated

Old 09-27-2016, 06:17 PM
Senior Chief

I assume you changed the correct flasher being there are two. One for the signals and one for the hazards?

At least that's the way it is on my car.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:30 PM
Suspended

There are 2 flashers on your car & the one at the fuse block is for the flashers & the 1 under the dash is for the turn signals. As far as the dome lamp not coming on you could have a bad headlight switch. You should feel the wires rubbing in the switch as you turn it to turn the dome lamp on . If the switch is bad which they do burn up the dome lamp part a lot. Try a new headlamp switch.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekheavy View Post
I assume you changed the correct flasher being there are two. One for the signals and one for the hazards?

At least that's the way it is on my car.
Well thanks for the tip, even though I did have a flasher in the spot for the hazards, after reading your post I thought I better try a flasher from my original wiring harness and it now works. Cant thank you enough.

Sometimes you can't see the trees for the forest and need another set of eyes.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
There are 2 flashers on your car & the one at the fuse block is for the flashers & the 1 under the dash is for the turn signals. As far as the dome lamp not coming on you could have a bad headlight switch. You should feel the wires rubbing in the switch as you turn it to turn the dome lamp on . If the switch is bad which they do burn up the dome lamp part a lot. Try a new headlamp switch.
Thanks for the tip but I have a brand new switch and an old one and they either one will turn on the interior light. Everything else works though, the headlights, the dash lights, running lights and the dash lights even dim. This one has me stumped. It has to be a ground or lack of just cant figure it out

Old 09-27-2016, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the headlight switch just makes a ground for the dome lights when turned all the way counter-clockwise.

Since they work with the door switch, it is getting power.

Not sure how the headlight switch is grounded, maybe missing a ground wire on switch or dash?

I think the wire at the switch is white, try grounding it and see if the dome light comes on?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 09-28-2016, 02:08 AM
Suspended

Check to see if the wire for the dome lamp is not backed out of the switch to. It may not be making complete connection.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
I think the headlight switch just makes a ground for the dome lights when turned all the way counter-clockwise.

Since they work with the door switch, it is getting power.

Not sure how the headlight switch is grounded, maybe missing a ground wire on switch or dash?

I think the wire at the switch is white, try grounding it and see if the dome light comes on?

Thanks John. Did what you said and it ended up being the connection on the white (ground) wire at the switch not making contact with the switch. Thanks for all the help fellas