Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Valve seat material

My new cylinder heads came with seats that are for Ti valves. I am not using Ti valves. So I did some research to see what was out there as a seat material, and I came across this;

http://www.performancealloys.net/Mot...plications.htm

After doing some specific research on this product, I ordered 2 10" pieces. One 2.500" dia and one 2.000" dia. They shipped it in a custom mini wooden crate.

I got 100% positive feedback from those who were using it, so likely good stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seat_material_box.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	436977  

Old 09-19-2016, 02:25 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

I don't doubt that the MoldStar alloy performs well. But I'm curious if you researched their claim that it offers the "best" durability and thermal conductivity? My limited research seemed to indicate that certain bronze alloys were the most desirable, but the toxicity of bronze particles (while machining, grinding, etc.) limited their usefulness. Perhaps I'm not remembering correctly?

... or has a Pontiac born the same year as Jim Wangers? (1926}
Old 09-19-2016, 06:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Its the beryllium in a lot of the valve seat material that's out there that is the issue.

"workers exposed to particles, fumes, mists and solutions from beryllium-containing materials may develop beryllium sensitization or chronic beryllium disease, a potentially disabling or even fatal respiratory disease."

This disease is not something that takes decades to get. It can come on very quickly.

The moldstar90 alloy has equally good thermal properties. But its the long life under severe use that got my attention.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a nice seat material. Have been using Beryllium copper alloy seats for many years. Since not much good information seems to be out there about health effects, I use a full face respirator with an organic cartridge when machining, not just a dust mask. Finding a good material that doesn't contain any Beryllium is a bonus.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lets see what you got. Can you show whats in the box? Where do you go to get this material cut into seats?

Old 09-19-2016, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What about Ni alloy (Inconel) seats? Most of the turbocharged Lycoming aircraft engines I've maintained had Ni alloy exhaust guides and seats.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-20-2016, 07:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I suspect that the inconel seats are picked for long-term durability in the moderate power aircraft application. Copper beryllium seats are good for drag racing because they have such high heat transfer rate that they really suck the heat out of the valves.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 09-20-2016, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Makes sense, Eric. Thanks

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-20-2016, 02:48 PM
Senior Chief

Default valve seats

I have installed many seats in Aluminum and cast iron Harley heads. Also some older antique motorcycle motors. I always used the Well-tite seats from Martin Wells Industries. These seats have high nickle and chrome percentages making them very tough.

http://ca-los-angeles.cataloxy.com/u...20Cataloxy.com

As you may know air cooled engines are harder on these parts than a water cooled engine. These Well-tite seats were the best we could find.

They were always good about supplying ANY size and/or dimensions in small quantities with a fast delivery.

You might give them a try. Billk

800-421-6000 located in LA Cal.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat-bill View Post
I have installed many seats in Aluminum and cast iron Harley heads. Also some older antique motorcycle motors. I always used the Well-tite seats from Martin Wells Industries. These seats have high nickle and chrome percentages making them very tough.

http://ca-los-angeles.cataloxy.com/u...20Cataloxy.com

As you may know air cooled engines are harder on these parts than a water cooled engine. These Well-tite seats were the best we could find.

They were always good about supplying ANY size and/or dimensions in small quantities with a fast delivery.

You might give them a try. Billk

800-421-6000 located in LA Cal.
I've seen some very badly eroded/distorted valves and valve seats come out of aircraft engines. Air cooled engine run 40-50 degrees hotter than a comparable liquid cooled engine. Our NORMAL CHTs (Cylinder head temp) were 260-270 degrees F. The turbo engines were higher yet.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-24-2016, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe the Moldstar seats are excellent and I know they're often chosen by 2 stroke high perf engine builders.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie66 View Post
Lets see what you got. Can you show whats in the box? Where do you go to get this material cut into seats?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My engine builder just takes the bar stock and cuts away everything that doesn't look like a seat. He is using this material currently on a 4 valve cosworth head he is repairing.

He does some very high end one off custom work. Old Ferrari heads that need to be converted from lever valve springs (cause their no longer available) to coil valve springs. Occasionally he cuts and welds on extremely high dollar parts.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McQueen View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My engine builder just takes the bar stock and cuts away everything that doesn't look like a seat. He is using this material currently on a 4 valve cosworth head he is repairing.

He does some very high end one off custom work. Old Ferrari heads that need to be converted from lever valve springs (cause their no longer available) to coil valve springs. Occasionally he cuts and welds on extremely high dollar parts.
I'm asking because I've been having issues with valves and seats do to heat that comes with 40 psi . I would like to know where to get material like this so I can put these problems behind me. Any help locating seats like this that will fit in a Edelbrock head would be really appreciated..

Old 09-25-2016, 12:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I originally attempted to locate blank seats. I was told that there were several places these were available at. When I came up empty handed, my machinist just said get the bar stock and he would just make them. So that's what I did.

I have since found out that Ferrea knows of this material, and has recommended it. Maybe a phone call to them will put you onto a seat supplier. Best I can do.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are a couple of sources for bar stock and semi-finished valve seat materials. The last set we had made were semi-finished. OD finished and thickness finished. The came from CHE Precision. Contact is the owner, Claude. Another source is Del West. The seats from both sources are copper Beryllium, so the health warnings apply.
For non-copper seats, I agree the best seats I have ever used are from Martin Wells. The red box Well Tight are super duper hard. So hard in fact, I can't cut them without some chatter with my carbides and a Sunnen seat and guide machine. Have to grind them for a good finish. The blue box Mar-Tight seats are softer and machine nicely. The hold up in the most severe NA gasoline applications. For big boost and N2O applications, I much prefer a copper alloy seat to any steel seat. Martin Wells was bought out 2 years ago by a larger parts company. Seats are much harder to get now and there are minimum quantities for non-stock seats now. Also the prices have tripled in the past 2 years. I am looking for alternatives and am currently trying some seats from Dura-Bond. Their cam bearings are best out there. I will report on the seats as soon as we get a few engines out with them. Doing a BBC and a Studebaker 289 right now. The Stude is supercharged.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McQueen View Post
I originally attempted to locate blank seats. I was told that there were several places these were available at. When I came up empty handed, my machinist just said get the bar stock and he would just make them. So that's what I did.

I have since found out that Ferrea knows of this material, and has recommended it. Maybe a phone call to them will put you onto a seat supplier. Best I can do.
Thank you . I really appreciate it!