THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:48 PM
Senior Chief

As you can see there different opinions about the surrounding areas. To me it's all in the eye of the the beholder as you might say. Yes there some rough areas in every town but it's all on your prospective of what bad or dangerous is.

And yes the Buckhorn is still open. That's part of town is Dayton/Clayton depends on which side of the river your on. Lol

Old 09-16-2016, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OTE=mgarblik;5630446]Buckhorn Tavern, established 1947, is still open and doing fine. Actually, walking distance from my house in Clayton. My little shop is in Vandalia. It's still an OK area, near the airport. One daughter lives in Huber Heights in the newer area. It's also OK. The original older area is not great. The areas you don't want to live in unless you thrive on daily gun play, are: Dayton City Proper, far west side like Trotwood, Drexel, Farmersville. Downtown to the East until you get to Beavercreek. There are plenty of nice places to live and raise a family once you get used to the surroundings. As mentioned, it's a pretty big geographical area. From my travels it has a lot similarity to cities like Pittsburg, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Cincinnati, typical rust belt city on a slow rebound from the horrible recession.[/QUOTE]

Dixie Hwy or National Hwy? Glad to hear the Buckhorn's doin fine. Ate a LOT of meals there with customers and management. Our favorite "watering holes" were Stubby's and Waldo Pepper's

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-16-2016, 05:05 PM
Senior Chief

mgarblik: I'm in Troy. Is your little shop in Vandalia auto related?

Old 09-16-2016, 05:11 PM
Senior Chief

Mgarblik: I'm in Troy. Is your little shop in Vandalia auto related?

Old 09-16-2016, 05:41 PM
Senior Chief

i am Dayton born and raised.

What you're describing can be found 10+ miles west of Dayton. Try New Lebanon, Farmersville, Camden,

64 GTO convertible, gone but not forgotten
76 CB750K
72 CB350F

" why yes, I am old school, so what?"
Old 09-16-2016, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yea, my little shop is primarily fleet inspection and light maintenance. I work mostly on 12-26 passenger vans for shuttle services. I also do a little general repair on friends, family and things that interest me. No sign, no web site, plenty busy. PM me if there is anything I can assist you with.
Didn't mean to sound negative about Dayton. If I was writing a slogan, it would be "Dayton, it's an OK place".

Old 09-17-2016, 06:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb Rent first

You are going to be moving there in Winter.

Try renting first.

I lived in the Dayton area for years - Lebanon, Waynesville, Franklin as well.

There are much nicer places in Ohio to live ..

Jim

Old 09-17-2016, 08:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you lived in those areas near Dayton, to me that's about as good as it gets for my lifestyle around here. I guess that's why I say, the area won't end up an anyone's top 10 list. Those 3 areas are pretty nice to me. Better than the semi-hood I live in now. Everyone calls the formerly nice area slightly north of me "Englehood" now, actual name. Englewood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trulyvintage View Post
You are going to be moving there in Winter.

Try renting first.

I lived in the Dayton area for years - Lebanon, Waynesville, Franklin as well.

There are much nicer places in Ohio to live ..

Jim

Old 09-21-2016, 01:22 PM
Senior Chief

Waynesville, the Antique Capital of the Midwest!

Been in the same area for 46 years, going south and east of Dayton or directly west puts you out in the countryside.

Hard to compare state to state costs in some case. KY for example, has personal property taxes on cars and such. OH has no such thing for cars. Lots of things to consider, this was just an example.

I live about 1 mile from Eric Larson, but its a different township and county. Vastly different real estate tax rates.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 09-24-2016, 06:59 AM

I live approximately 30 minutes SW of Dayton in a rural setting. There are quite a few properties for sale that might interest you, not sure of the asking prices, though. I agree about the taxes, I'm paying ~$3500 for 2500 sq ft house on 5 acres with a 40x60 barn. Rural is definitely the way to go if you like privacy and security. The heroin problems are escalating in the cities and even the smaller communities.
Stay the hell away from Middletown and surrounding areas. Good luck!