Old 06-26-2016, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thought I'd give a little update since "completion."

I've got a little over 1100 miles on the car so far. Haven't had a chance to get my spare heads rebuilt yet so burning oil is still an issue. If I cruise around nice and keep my foot out of it then she doesn't burn too bad.

I finally got my valve cover leaks taken care of. Turns out the spacer I had to clear my valve train was warped slightly causing leaks. I now have 5/16" steel core gaskets from tin Indian performance with some old school Mickey Thompson valve covers. Unfortunately now I have a slight leak from my passenger side breather.

Yesterday I did a little tweaking on the carbs and took the car for a ride. I felt a very noticeable increase in low end torque and I got on it a little bit and ended up shredding my transmission mount. Now if I touch the gas the transmission twists just enough that the driveshaft yoke hits the tunnel. I ordered a new polyurethane mount so hopefully that will hold up.

1967 GTO, 432 (428+.030), 4-bolt mains, factory Nodular crank, scat rods, icon dished pistons, Lunati HR 243/251@.050, .618/.622 lift, Edelbrock 72cc round port heads, 10.5:1, offy 2-4 intake, Edelbrock 650cfm carbs, Super T10 trans (2.64 first), BOP 10 bolt w/ Eaton posi and 3.36 gears
Old 08-28-2016, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well its been some time since I've updated this post so I figured I will for anyone who cares.

When the poly mount came in it was slightly taller than the rubber one. I ended up cutting the ends off the crossmember to solid mount it to the frame. I also built in a 1/2" drop into the center of the crossmember. This gave me adequate clearance for the transmission and driveshaft knuckle to the floor.

I got the mount fixed right before Iola, then on my way down to Iola on the second day, the pinion gear of the starter blew up. Luckily I had a crew of guys to push start me whenever I needed. It was a robbmc mini starter and I made a call and sent it in and they fixed it no questions asked. Excellent customer service!

So I get that fixed then a couple weeks later and my carbs suddenly begin flooding. I pulled them apart and cleaned them. Was good for about 50 miles and does it again. Pull them back apart, reclean them and discover my fuel filter was coming apart. It was a robbmc 5" filter. I ordered a new 40 micron filter then a 1/2" pickup also. That fixed my flooding issue.

Now, I pulled my car out of the garage last week to do some cleaning and the engine was making a lot of unusual clatter. Turns out I have a couple bent pushrods. I cheaped out here when I built my engine initially and it's coming back to bite me. So I ordered some new thicker pushrods now and hopefully they'll be in this week yet.

Besides that I have been enjoying the car!

Being the entheusiest that I am I already began looking for my next project. I stumbled upon this 51 ford fairly local to me!

It's in pretty decent shape for being 65 years old. I really dig ratrods so that's what I'm doing with this one. I bought a 91 Chevy 2wd that I'm parting out. I'm going to set this 51 on the Chevy frame and lower it. I'm thinking about putting the 400 from my GTO into this truck then building my 428 for my GTO. I also have a Chevy 350 with ported vortec heads I might use. Whichever power plant I use, I will custom fab shorty headers into side pipes with electric cutouts that dump right behind the front tires.

I've been wrong down all my ideas for this project and I plan to begin it this winter.

1967 GTO, 432 (428+.030), 4-bolt mains, factory Nodular crank, scat rods, icon dished pistons, Lunati HR 243/251@.050, .618/.622 lift, Edelbrock 72cc round port heads, 10.5:1, offy 2-4 intake, Edelbrock 650cfm carbs, Super T10 trans (2.64 first), BOP 10 bolt w/ Eaton posi and 3.36 gears