Old 08-14-2016, 09:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Unhappy What fun...

I was looking for an aluminum radiator and electric fan setup for my '68, and finally pulled the trigger on what looked like a pretty nice setup, and the place is somewhat close down in Illinois.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391167779191

So the package arrived, and I must say, it was very, very well packaged and the radiator looked amazing. But I rummaged thru the packing materials and box... Where's the relays for the fans? Realizing I had looked at too many different listings, I ASSumed it came with them, but nope, just the fans with connectors. Contacted seller, he linked me the setups they offer, and looking over it, it actually looks pretty awesome.
http://www.speedcooling.com/wiring-kits/

So ok, shelled out some more coin for the ready-made setup. Yesterday it rained, so instead of attending the local GTO club show, I figured I'd install this system. If you've read my posts you might know about my heath issues, I haven't been able to work on my cars for a couple years, but I have lost 34 pounds and been doing a lot better, so I figured I would go for it. The radiator install was easy, it's made perfectly as far as fit, I was very pleased in that regard. The issues started with the electronic control. I have to give a disclaimer- I'm an old tech that can repair circuit boards at component level, I've repaired thousands of microwaves, TV's, VCRs and major appliances, so I'm not exactly a noob when it comes to electronics. To that end, this is a pretty basic setup, you connect per the supplied diagram and off you go.

No so fast... I completed the install and go to start the car and all it does it crank over like crazy but no start. The car ran perfectly before, so I'm going "what could have happened to cause this?"
Started checking the obvious things and found that there was power going the the electric choke and the dizzy with the key on... So just out of instinct, I unplugged the input to the fan control, which has a key-on power feed. Turned the key and the car starts on half a crank. Shut it off, plugged the control back in, turned the key, no start. Unplugged it again, car starts perfectly. While it was running, I plugged in the primary connector, the car dies instantly. I went back and checked and double-checked the install. As I said. This is easy stuff. The feed to the control consists of a key-on hot, (and just for info, I had a cheap electric puller fan already on the old radiator and used the same feed) a ground, the two wires for the coolant sensor, and the optional wires for AC and manual over-ride, and that harness was not connected, no a/c. I can ohm out the coolant sensor and when the car is hot and also cooling down with the engine off, the resistance changes like it should. Also on the output side, you can't mess that up, the two harnesses are pre-wired and it's easy- one side to the positive on the alternator (and it has a nice dual-fuse setup) and the other side is engine ground and fan grounds and all the connectors are keyed so you can't mess it up.
What's more, using jumpers, the fans run correctly. So all I can figure is the control unit is DOA. Sent a message to the seller, have to wait it out...
On another note, the radiator seems to be able to provide some decent cooling even without the fans running. Emgine comes up to temp quickly like it should, and when the thermostat opens, it runs at 180 while idling but creeps up slowly to around 205 and it never got hotter than that, WITH NO FANS! I obviously removed the flex fan and spacer for the old setup and just have the water pump pulley bolted down, so it seems this radiator cools very well.
I can't think of anything that could be causing this issue other than there's a short in the control, but it's really odd. Nothing sparked, nothing looks burnt on the main board, it just shuts my engine off instantly when connected...
Will update when I hear back from seller and will add some pix. My back is killing me today so I'm taking it easy... Hope it's just a dud, **** happens. I find it interesting that this morning the control I ordered is not listed anymore on the website... HHHHMMMMMMM?...

1970 GTO Judge
RA-III, 4-SPD & A/C. Power Windows, Power Seat, Power Brakes, Steering, AM/FM, 8-Track, Formula Wheel, Rallye Gauges, Remote Mirror, Numbers Matching. Assembled at Pontiac, MI Plant 5/26/1970.

1968 GTO
461 CI, RA-III heads, Hotchkis springs, UMI suspension, Bilstein shocks, 12-bolt 3.73's.

1966 GTO Ragtop
4-Speed, AM/FM, Original driveline.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Unhappy

Realize there is not much interest, but just to followup... Was told to return the DOA control and "We will send out a replacement the same day". Well... I sent it Tuesday, it was signed for Wednesday, didn't get any contact from them at all, called this morning and "Frank" says "we have not yet received your return". I told him that's interesting because I have proof from FedEx that it was signed for on Wednesday. He said he "has to look around the shop"

Not happy...

Old 08-20-2016, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6TEE8GTO View Post
Realize there is not much interest, but just to followup... Was told to return the DOA control and "We will send out a replacement the same day". Well... I sent it Tuesday, it was signed for Wednesday, didn't get any contact from them at all, called this morning and "Frank" says "we have not yet received your return". I told him that's interesting because I have proof from FedEx that it was signed for on Wednesday. He said he "has to look around the shop"

Not happy...
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hope it turns out with a happy ending.

When I did my own electric fan setup, I made a relay controller. It had low and high temp turn on points for the 2 speed fan, and also had an override switch. It worked well, but wasn't very compact, and I ended up spending a little more putting together all the components than what it would've cost me to get an off the shelf controller. And months later when it didn't keep things cool, I pulled it all out for the mech fan. I have felt a bit of your pain.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the response. They sent a replacement and it works. Not much interest in this setup so I just will update that I did finally get a working controller and leave it at that....

1970 GTO Judge
RA-III, 4-SPD & A/C. Power Windows, Power Seat, Power Brakes, Steering, AM/FM, 8-Track, Formula Wheel, Rallye Gauges, Remote Mirror, Numbers Matching. Assembled at Pontiac, MI Plant 5/26/1970.

1968 GTO
461 CI, RA-III heads, Hotchkis springs, UMI suspension, Bilstein shocks, 12-bolt 3.73's.

1966 GTO Ragtop
4-Speed, AM/FM, Original driveline.