Old 05-12-2016, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Problem With Passenger Side Mirror

My '64 GTO is being painted, and I decided to add a passenger side mirror to it. I bought the mirror listed in the Ames catalog without noticing that they said that proper adjustment is not good on the passenger side. For those of you who have added a passenger side mirror, what was your solution?

Old 05-12-2016, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Where is your driver's side mirror mounted? My 2 mirrors are mounted even with the vertical vent window bar, and the passenger mirror doesn't work great. If you can mount it farther forward, I think that will help.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Neither are mounted at the moment as the car is ready for paint. We tried moving it all over the place, and the mirror will not come close to adjusting close enough to the body. I would get a good look at pedestrians, but not cars in the other lane.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160509_115004 small.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	428255  

Old 05-12-2016, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm glad that you told me that - now I don't need to regret not mounting my mirrors farther forward. (I think they look coolest where they are.)

Although I can't see down the passenger side of the car with it, I can usually see a car in my blind spot with it. My mirrors don't stay adjusted for long, anyways - which means that the passenger side one is always wrong.

I just look over my shoulder for the left side. My car had no outside mirrors when I bought it, so it's still a huge improvement.

I have thought about buying one of those "fish eye" mirrors to stick over the pass. side one, but haven't bothered yet.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know this is a 67, but same idea

Just be sure that when you mount it, that the vent window opens without hitting it.

here is the best pic I can find of the pass side mirror,

Because of the 'coke bottle' rear quarters, it doesn't work too well, as a mirror, but I like the balanced look from the front.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4930.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	428264   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN51411.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	428266  

Old 05-12-2016, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Hi Jim.. What you needing a pass. side mirror for? You want to see the Fords and Cheby guys when you draw the left lane!!!!!!! "Bill"!

Old 05-12-2016, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill ryder View Post
Hi Jim.. What you needing a pass. side mirror for? You want to see the Fords and Cheby guys when you draw the left lane!!!!!!! "Bill"!
I'm so used to looking for cars in the passenger side mirror that I found myself looking over and changing lanes because I didn't' see any cars. It takes a second to realize there is no mirror.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim,

What is the problem with the mirror adjustment? I'm ready to put one on my '64 and my wife's. There is no problem with either car with the driver's side mirror and I assume the passenger side is the same.

Let me know the measurement from the front of the door edge to the front mirror mounting hole. On the pictures of my wife's and my '64 driver side, they both work fine, but are close to the vent window frame. The front hole is 1 7/8" from the front door edge on mine and 3 1/2" from the front edge on her car. Both are 1" below the top edge of the door. There is at least 1" of clearance between the mirror and the window/frame on my car.

Be aware that the swivel is not in the center of the mirror cup. You can rotate the cup for more clearance if that's the problem.

At my age, looking backwards is not as easy as it once was. Plus, we're so used to our daily drivers with large mirrors on both sides, we're spoiled!! I remember the '64 I bought new had no outside mirrors and that was perfectly OK. But that was when I was 22 years old!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GTO Mirror Mount 539.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	428274   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Mirror Location 002.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	428275  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 05-12-2016, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The driver's side is fine. The same mirror on the passenger side will not adjust close enough to the body of the car. It runs out of movement. Believe me, we tried everything. I will not be drilling the holes on the passenger side. I'm not home right now, so I will post dimensions/placement later.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

same problem here, but i did not figure it out until after the holes were drilled.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a picture of the car showing where the mirror is, and it is in approximately the same place as the template provided to me by Bob Vidan. Unfortunately the scan of the template is not to scale. The factory passenger side mirror was a unique one, not the same as the left side. I found an NOS one on eBay for $1750.00.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4681 small.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	428292   Click image for larger version

Name:	img113 small.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	428293  

Old 05-13-2016, 08:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The attached photo shows where my passenger side mirror is located on my 65...

Note that the pivot point of the mirror is offset and if it is not rotated properly it will not be able to adjust enough to get a good view.

See in the second photo how if it is rotated it can't adjust properly.

My biggest problem is that the mirror pivot is too loose and will not stay where I put it.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0155[1].jpg
Views:	84
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	428296   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0156.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	428298  

Last edited by Zimtok; 05-13-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor View Post
Here's a picture of the car showing where the mirror is, and it is in approximately the same place as the template provided to me by Bob Vidan. Unfortunately the scan of the template is not to scale. The factory passenger side mirror was a unique one, not the same as the left side. I found an NOS one on eBay for $1750.00.

If you look at your diagram the holes are meant to be drilled with a #28 or #29 drill bit. (1/4" is just a little smaller then a #28) SO... if you think of the hole as about 1/4" you can use the hole on the diagram to represent 1/4". Then count how many holes from the edge of the paper to the center of the first hole and you will know how many 1/4's.

The line at left side of the paper represents the front edge of the door.

I count about 10 1/4's from the left line on the paper to the first hole (2-1/2") for the left side mirror.
I count about 30 1/4's from the left line on the paper to the first hole (7-1/2") for the right side mirror.
I count about 15 1/4's between the holes (3-3/4") but don't use this to drill the hole. get the first hole in the proper place and then use the mounting bracket to locate the second hole.

I hope this helps...

Old 05-13-2016, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I added a right side mirror to my 66 GTO as soon as I got it back in 2007. And I screwed up. I placed it exactly as the driver's side is. After realizing what I did, I found that if I'd placed it on the door 1/2 to 1 inch further back it would have been placed as it should have been. Then it would have cleared the vent window frame and I would have had a better view with nothing in the way.

Have someone hold it to the door Jim and then see where you want it. If it's like my 66. I found it works best that way.

I have seen some 65's with left and right side mirrors installed so the mirror head is back behind the door's window channel. Like Zim's right side. I'm not sure where the driver door mirror is located on a 64. If it's like these 65's I've seen then go that route Jim.

Zim was yours installed at the factory or at a dealership? And if so is that the proper spot it should be placed at? My thinking is to have it installed where it's centered in the vent window frame, it's more than likely different for 64, 65, and 66/67.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad it's not just me having this problem. I got mad at my son one day when he was sitting in the passenger seat and I was trying to get him to move the mirror to get it adjusted. I thought it was just him.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 05-14-2016, 12:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For everyone mentioning how to position it, we did it every way imaginable. Towards the fender the vent window is in the way, and the further back we put it the worse the adjustment was. I do know that the mirror is not symmetrical, but we also rotated that every which way. There is no way that mirror will work. Fortunately we had not drilled any holes on the passenger side, so it will go back to exactly the way it was when I took it in. As I mentioned in post 11, the factory passenger side mirror was a special one. It looked a lot like the remote mirror in that the actual reflector was in another housing. I found one and only one on eBay - $1750.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1968-Po...hWSip-&vxp=mtr

Old 05-14-2016, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow! $1750 for a mirror! That's like $6600 for a '64 wood wheel! I guess a part is worth what someone is willing to pay, I guess that's just a little rich for my blood! Lol. Maybe this mirror (along with a '64 wood wheel) should be added to list of "things I'd like to see reproduced".

Old 05-14-2016, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim, sounds like it's like a big round mirror found on a GP... or something like that. It's not like any 65 to 68 mirror I've seen. It kinda looks like a remote mirror without the remote.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 05-14-2016, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Jim, sounds like it's like a big round mirror found on a GP... or something like that. It's not like any 65 to 68 mirror I've seen. It kinda looks like a remote mirror without the remote.
That's what I thought. I haven't bothered to look it up in the Master Parts Catalog yet, I guess I should do that.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can you post a photo of the driver's side mirror?

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"