Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 04-08-2016, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
CFM from the carbs means little if the manifold becomes the choke point. Early Wenzler with some minor mods to get it to bolt up works pretty well really.
Better than a Doug Nash or Warrior Tunnel Ram.

Tom V.
I agree with this.

I did some dyno testing on a motor I built and had to test out a small tunnel ram & carbs.

Although I did tweak them it was down slightly on power vs the single 850

Old 04-08-2016, 05:30 PM
Boost Engineer

Ever hear of a SB Chebby based engine that used 4800 cfm at 12,000 rpm?

Booth Aarons and Holley Carb built one and tested it on Holleys Very High HP dyno.

Imaging one 600 cfm throttle body per cylinder. (2.75" throttle blade).

NO BOTTOM END below 5000 rpm but above that the engine was a monster to 12,000 rpm. So all of that cfm would have been worthless on a Plenum style intake system even with dual 1250 cfm carbs on the little engine. The one barrel per port made the difference, That cylinder has to get all of its airflow from that one carb buttlerfly.

So it is possible to put very large carbs on a engine and see great results but you have to design the engine for that High RPM tuning point.
Slapping a 850+ cfm carb on a engine that wants 750 cfm buys you nothing but "Bragging Rights". Just saying.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.