Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-27-2016, 08:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
I have JE pistons in my engine, have used quite a few Ross and more recently Icon pistons. Never had any issues with any of them. You couldn't give me a set of the Speed Pro/TRW forgings, I'd toss them on CL quicker than it took me to type this!......Cliff
You make the Speed Pros sound like they are the Sterling 8 valve relief pistons-lol. They aren't that bad, Cliff.

Geno

Old 03-27-2016, 09:23 PM

Thanks guys. I have somewhat focused in on either the Icon or Speed Pro. No final decision yet. I will see the builder later this week and go over the plans with him. I will be sure to continue to look for your input and advise before making any decision.
Thanks again for the help.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:30 PM

I was going the speed pro route until my machinists told me that be had seen several sets with a large weight difference between the pistons.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My set of SPs were all within 2-3 grams of each other, only bought about six weeks ago.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:43 AM

I think whatever pistons that you choose, they will be fine at the end as long as the rotating assembly is balanced. Most importantly replace the rods. I have seen in your other post that you will be using 3.73 gears, so you know that the rpm's are going to climb quickly. The 5140 rods seem like good cheap insurance. RPM or Eagle with ARP bolts, post the other ARP rod bolts on the classifieds and get some of your money back.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can look at my long and exhaustive study on pistons.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=777769

Autotech and Icon I thought were the best bang for the buck for what I was looking for (400). I thought Autotech would be best for my mild build. I would go Icon if the motor is going to take a beating due to the different forgings.