THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Best quote, Stole it here

This came from the boards, though I cannot remember who I stole it from.
It has been a hit among the car buds.:

"Having a 10 second Civic must be just like coming out of the closet; you'll surprise some people, but you're still gay"

Bravo! It's all in good fun.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My friends and I had a similar line when the SRT-4 Neons were the rage. Guys were throwing boost controllers on them and going 12's (and blowing them up left and right)

Yeah its surprisingly fast for cheap, but bro your still driving a Neon.......

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 02-17-2016, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

unless you own a civic...

its the chevy II nova for the present generation...even if hate them too

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 02-17-2016, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hating people just because they own a different brand car never made any sense to me.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

dont hate the people just the little turd boxes..loud and slow...always ;oud and slow

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 02-17-2016, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Hating people just because they own a different brand car never made any sense to me.
Meh, hatred would be a super strong word for me anyway, more like dont understand. There are very few people in this life I hate. There are plenty I dont understand for many reasons. For those I just smile and wish them well, to each their own

One of my best friends was a big DSM guy (turbo mitsubishi's) They have a couple sharp looking cars. 2nd gen Talons, 3000 GTs, Starions etc. He chose to swap his motor into a late 80s hammered on Mitsubishi Mirage. Damn thing went 11's. Which going fast is cool, I just cant see dumping money into a car that even he admitted was hideous lol.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 02-17-2016, 09:03 PM

I still chuckle every time I hear that phrase.

Never ever really considered the 99% import crowds REAL car culture individuals. I never realized cold air intakes and snap lock pipe muffler tips was considered performance modifications and challenging the endeavors of real performance and ingenuity that other generations and ages have sought through and continued these same practices today. It seems the import crowd was just a phase like the van craze that everyone was sick over before my time, as the import tuners have drastically died off also.Thank god phases like these end and everything circles back center real performance individuals,cars & engines that make real car cultured individuals stand the true test of time. Just look at the current market trends today with the v8 muscle cars & trucks.

SEVEN UPS 2.0 TAKING THE THIRD DEGREE ONE STEP FURTHER

2016 1/8 MILE 7.0 @ 100 MPH 406 B&M MINI BLOWER
Old 02-17-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 694.1 View Post
This came from the boards, though I cannot remember who I stole it from.
It has been a hit among the car buds.:

"Having a 10 second Civic must be just like coming out of the closet; you'll surprise some people, but you're still gay"

Bravo! It's all in good fun.
That line is from Evil Stu's sig.

Had a lot of fun kicking musclecar ass with my 13-second '66 VW back in the late '70s when there were still plenty of them roaming the streets.

Usually I did it when they were riding with their girlfriends on a weekend night, there wasn't anything gay about it except if you happened to be the unlucky V8 musclecar owner.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

VWs back in the 60s and 70s blowing the doors off of muscle cars was cool. I had a friend with a 68 that had a Porsche flat 6 in it. IIRC it came out of a 911E that was wrecked. That was one hot little Bug. It sure embarrassed a few that thought they were the King of the road.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 10 second GTO but I also have one of those 4 cylinder turbos. A 1986 Lebaron Town and Country wagon. It has a 1990 2.5L turbo with the boost cranked up. I can drive it anywhere, carry 2x4s on it, get good mileage and it still runs 12's. If also surprises the crap out of the kid with his Honda or Toyota. My sons also have old turbo MOPARS. They can't afford GTOs. Stop picking on what the kids drive. Most of what they drive is better that the flathead Pontiac I drove at their age.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:33 PM

I'll just leave this here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12276824_140924916270568_477039552_n.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	421173  

.040 over 400, 68cc #62 heads, stump puller cam
TH400, 3.31 posi
Old 02-18-2016, 12:14 AM
Suspended

I don't mind the car being small or a 4 cyl. What I HATE is front wheel drive. The only reason G< went to it was to save money, PERIOD. I have worked in dealerships since 1971 & have seen all the garbage that came from Detroit. Stuff like Pinto's Vaga's & all there brothers & sister cars that were just 2 inches bigger. They weren't ever going to last but they were rear wheel drive & could be modified to be good cars with just a little money. But the junk front wheel drive was for cost savings only & all of them were junk. They broke when pushed & run hard at all. I moved out to WY. as a cop & our new cars were Buick front wheel drive because we were a test site for them. You would be running down the road at 55 mph. & when you would turn the light bar on the car would slow down to 45 mph. We broke axles struts , Alt.'s would fail because they couldn't take the extra load. Rad's would blow because of the constant use. The only reason GM tried to make them better was because of the Jap. cars. They would kinda hold up better as some thought . But the only reason they SEEMED to hold up better was the high maintaince schedules. ALL the Honda. Toyota's, Datsun's, & all the other had you spending so much on the mandatory work to keep them up they had them in for the repairs & did so much warr. work that most knew nothing about , plus the 2-3 hundred dollars worth of work every 15 K to 20 K miles it made those owners say our cars run so good & long & your GM & Ford Junk along with Chryslers are always break down. But what they didn't know was the work that had been going on for so long that they didn't know about. What an underground joke. Most didn't know unless you worked in these shops. But front wheel drive is a joke. Money savings still, & you guys all know. They don't have to build separate Tran's & rear end, & know steering gears because of electric steering. The put out less & we pay MORE. The joke is on the buying public & they keep sucking it up . Why does a pick up truck cost 30K with no options . It's really stupid for any one to pay 50-60 K for a truck with options. It's still just a TRUCK, but most don't even know why they buy it. It's because there REAR WHELL DRIVE, not junk wheel drive.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Boy who pee'd in your orange juice? I've worked for dealerships longer that you. Some of which serviced police cars. Front wheel drive police cars aren't any worse than rear wheel drive. One of the worst rear wheel drive police cars that I ever saw or worked on was supposed to be one of the most beefy cars built. The Checker. It was absolutely terrible. So just because you don't like FWD doesn't mean they are all bad.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:11 AM
Senior Chief

I have to go with Rex. I've been at a GM dealership for over 35 years and there is no question, front wheel drive cars cost more to maintain. Just a fact of life.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In the latest issue of HPP.....oh.....wait, Hot Rod, there are a couple of upper 9, low 10 second fwd cars.
I'll bet they are a hoot to drive.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Are you running with the wind or breaking it?

Go fast see Elvis!

This is good

Last edited by gene simmons; 02-18-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWD is no fun to drive. Sure, if they're fast they're a hoot, like any fast car, but having the power applied to the front wheels just detracts from the overall experience. It makes it impossible to induce oversteer with the throttle and also makes it really easy to break traction and end up understeering really badly in the corners. A lot of FWD cars have terrible torque-steer too which just gets worse as you add power.

I don't blame the kids for hopping up Civics and whatever. When you can by used hondas that are in decent shape for $3K all day long vs. looking long and hard for any decent American car from the muscle era and spend three times that much for something that needs a lot of work, well, what they're doing only makes sense.

And back when I was in high school it wasn't at all uncommon for guys to buy something like a 307 or 350 2-bbl Chevelle, put some headers and cherry bombs on it, air shocks and N50-15 tires, a chrome open element aircleaner, and *boom* - race car! How is that any different than what a lot of kids are doing today with their lowered Civics with fart cans and intakes?

Going fast is expensive. It was back in the day and it is today, so the percentage of kids who actually have fast cars is much lower than the overall population who just want a cool car to drive. Back when I used to race regularly there was a guy with a '90s Civic that he'd added a turbo to that would run low 11s consistently. That car didn't have any stupid crap added to it, just a nice, clean Civic that looked weird with slicks on the front and didn't look any different from any other Civic when it left the track. I can respect that.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great quotes

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.

Buying parts I can't afford...with money I don't have...to impress people I don't like anyway.

Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD.. u wanna hit it but ur afraid of the consequences

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.

Wanting a Custom fit in an off the rack world.

I don't have time for a job, I just need the money.

If your gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough!!

Harley-Davidson: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the side effect of horsepower

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Wise men talk because they have something to say: fools, because they have to say something.

The only good thing that came out of cash for clunkers is a lot of Obama bumper stickers are now gone

"Never race anything you can't afford to set on fire and push off a cliff."

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

Man is not complete until he's married , then he is finished !

Anything that bolts on w/o modifications, is an accident...my opinion..

Some of my favorite quotes some from you guys here. Now I have a new favorite to add. Thanks 694.1 or.. um... I mean Evil Stu.

"The older I get...The better I was"

"Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion of how it should be put together". - Tim Allen

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Will got it right. Back in the day, a set of headers, air shocks, Thrush, or cherry bomb mufflers, Cragars, and we were ready to race. American made muscle was cheap.
Now the FWD imports are cheap, and kids are doing the same things we used to do. How is it different?

Old 02-18-2016, 09:46 PM

I'm having troubles deciphering reasons for choices of purchasing imports and modifying them based on assumption of affordability. One can find cheap rolling chassis of late model cars and trucks on craigslist all day long and simply go to any local wrecking yard and transplant any v8 motor & trans swap for under $2000+/- and do circles around any import.

example: s10 rolling $500 +/-
engine/trans $2000 +/-
lets just say $1000 for miscellaneous items.
you can sell the stock stuff off for some money to help fundings

You can even find late model Mustang and Ls1 cars for $5000 +/-.

So please don't use money as a factor,there are plenty of examples that one can accomplish with the mechanically inclined aptitudes everywhere on the net with cheap performance car projects , just look at the past couple of years with the cheap street challenges.

The people back then with air shocks and thrush mufflers thinking they had race cars or even fast cars became the fathers of the import generations. Yea I could pull the hoops over coke bottles at the local store parking lot, Lets not forget the famous $100 bill on the dash.

I believe some of you guys are owning the wrong type of car. I think some of you would probably be better off trading you cars for import or front wheel drive cars.

SEVEN UPS 2.0 TAKING THE THIRD DEGREE ONE STEP FURTHER

2016 1/8 MILE 7.0 @ 100 MPH 406 B&M MINI BLOWER