Old 02-02-2016, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Value of RA IV GTO

I've got an opportunity to purchase a '69 RA IV 4-spd car. Original engine and rear are gone, as are the carb and hood pans. Currently has a running non-original engine and the rear is unknown. Original 4-spd is in the car. The body is supposedly solid and the paint is presentable requiring minor touchups to be shown at a local show, but the Ram Air hood requires replacement, and the rear bumper requires a re-chrome. The interior condition is average. The options, other than the RA IV and 4-spd, are power steering and brakes, hidden headlights, console, AM radio and rear speaker. Unfortunately, it has no gauges. The interior is black, and the exterior isn't one of the more desirable colors. As it sits it is probably a solid #3 to #3-.

I haven't seen the car in person yet, so the condition of the car could be better or worse than I've described.

What value would you place on this car?

Old 02-02-2016, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKBRD View Post
I've got an opportunity to purchase a '69 RA IV 4-spd car. Original engine and rear are gone, as are the carb and hood pans. Currently has a running non-original engine and the rear is unknown. Original 4-spd is in the car. The body is supposedly solid and the paint is presentable requiring minor touchups to be shown at a local show, but the Ram Air hood requires replacement, and the rear bumper requires a re-chrome. The interior condition is average. The options, other than the RA IV and 4-spd, are power steering and brakes, hidden headlights, console, AM radio and rear speaker. Unfortunately, it has no gauges. The interior is black, and the exterior isn't one of the more desirable colors. As it sits it is probably a solid #3 to #3-.

I haven't seen the car in person yet, so the condition of the car could be better or worse than I've described.

What value would you place on this car?
they aren't bringing anywhere near what they used to...and the missing parts are the most expensive and difficult to find. Expect $2.500 for a rear and I turned down $5k for a WW block years ago. Heads probably $3,500...most other parts you can try going repop but that will be a decision for you to make. Five-figure paint job and you had probably start liking this car...and forget about profits. Every '69 we did to our level took @ 2,000 man-hours and $30k to complete...and did most everything ourselves as far as assembly and such. Otherwise...they are pretty radical muscle cars. Most aggressive hydraulic-cammed mill ever offered...by anyone!

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm familiar with the cost of everything required to make it as complete as possible, and I've got all of the missing pieces with the exception of the rear. I realize that the price of these things has come down, but I haven't been following the market closely, so I'm not exactly sure what it is currently worth. I obviously don't want to pay too much for it. I'm not looking to do an over the top resto, just a presentable car that I can actually drive and enjoy. What would you say it's worth as it sits?

Old 02-03-2016, 11:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A fairly solid base GTO as you are describing probably worth 9K-11K.
My opinion with the RAIV pedigree, 18K-20K total

Granted a solid body can mean from all original clean sheet metal to the holes have been duck taped and Bondo’d so worth can really vary.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In my opinion this car being 1 of 310 built should carry some value. However that does not appear to be the case. Color is everything in the value determination it seems.

Here is a car identical in pedigree as the one you describe above and likely better in condition. http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archi...-AIR-IV-181563
Bought at Barrett Jackson in 2014 for $44,000 and now current owner is having trouble selling the car for under $39,000. Personally I think that is a great deal but why no sale? Color.

Current value seems to be right where Brian posted $18-20k at the high end. I would only buy it if your going to keep it because you might find it hard to resell. I've been following this market for some time since I have one of these 69 RAIV 4spd non-Judges too.

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com

Old 02-03-2016, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Appreciate the info guys. I was thinking $15K to $20K myself, but I've been quoted as high as $30k depending upon condition. The BJ archive link is a great help! I'll keep you posted as to the outcome.