Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-31-2016, 10:32 AM
Senior Chief

Default Major gas smell

I am running a tripower set up in a 455 that was rebuilt by Mike Wasson last summer. 1000 miles on "new" motor. I am almost done with a few gremlins and getting ready to upgrade the ignition system with the pertronix modual, adjustable vac advance, etc.- to eliminate the points and get a rev limiter- 4 speed car, and to get the timing just right. My worse problem now is excessive gas smell after shutting off. I mean OUTRAGEOUS !!!! It also "deisels", but only after it gets real hot. I just put those spacers under the carbs as suggested by everyone, including Mike W. Eliminating the hot fuel issue was necessary- most people agreed. No change in carb symptoms. I am running 93 gas w/no ethanol. I realize the ignition upgrade will get the timing better which may eliminate the deiseling, but with the gas smell, it seems like excessive fuel to me. How do I check this out, besides just looking down the carb to look for gas after shut down? Or is that the telling tale?

Old 01-31-2016, 10:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Do you have the exhaust crossover valve still on the engine? If so is it working (not stuck in the closed position? Stuck closed will cause excessive heat in the intake manifold.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:44 AM
Senior Chief

Running headers with new 2 1/2 " Pypes exhaust with x pipe.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Set timing advance if possible , get idle down low to be on idle circuit & yes you will smell gas as 3 carbs. are venting .

Old 01-31-2016, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

check the fuel pump for leak. They can leak externally or into the oil crankcase.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you replaced all old gas line connector rubber hoses on the car, like those connecting the lines to the tank? Old ones get cracked and leak causing odor, and it can be confusing where it's coming from. I had gas odor and thought it was coming from under the hood, when it was really cracked rubber connector hoses at the tank.