Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-15-2015, 09:14 AM
Senior Chief

Default HEADS

Now that we have several RAV heads to choose from like DCI, Kauffman, Tiger and McCarty are the ones that I can think of for now, is there any one that might have and edge over the other one. I know that is a loaded question and I think the jury is still out on this one, thoughts.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is no way to even get 1% into a answer until you have listed the motors bore and stroke, its overall intended usage and your HP goals a long with the weight of the car as is, or as it will be!

There tons of info you can read about that has been posted on this site, so get crackin and read some!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 12-15-2015, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As this is the street section there is only one proven V head and that is a stock factory head.IMHO if a factory intake wont bolt to it then it is a Vish style head.Tom

Old 12-17-2015, 12:30 AM
Suspended

Put the head with the biggest intake valve that will fit in your bore with .050" wall clearance and cam it accordingly to your CID and RPM. Unless you are off the deep end, you can't get enough intake size for it to matter. Now you do have to cam the thing to work.

For example, my 05 GTO has heads that flow 360 cfm at 28". It's stock displacement (364 cid), the wife can drive it, has a hyd roller intake duration of 240 deg at .050", and is expected to make peak power at 6400 rpm. It goes on the wheel Saturday. Most traditionalist would freak with that set up. Look past history and look at the fundamentals that make engines work.

Any of the heads you mentioned can be made to work well. I'd look at the chamber configuration to make sure it's a modern design. My LS runs 11.5:1 on pump gas with no issue.